Jeremiah 45 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 13:12:34 PST 2013

January 10, 2013

 *AUG 10 - JEREMIAH 45 - WORD TO BARUCH*

 *1. 45:1a BARUCH: JEREMIAH’S WORD TO HIM. “The word that Jeremiah the
prophet spoke to Baruch the son of Neriah,” *Father, we will wait for You
for Your word. We will receive it through whomever You are pleased to send
it. We will always acknowledge and act upon Your truth, Lord Jesus, as King
of Your Kingdom! *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 45:1b BARUCH: JEREMIAH’S SECRETARY. “when he wrote these words in a
book at the dictation of Jeremiah, in the fourth year of Jehoiakim the son
of Josiah, king of Judah:” *Your will O Father - is *in Your Word*. The
Holy Spirit Who gave this word, *never* speaks contrary to it in His gifts!
*Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 45:2-3 BARUCH: HIS WOE AND FAINTING. “Thus says the LORD, the God of
Israel, to you, O Baruch: 3 You said, ‘Woe is me! For the LORD has added
sorrow to my pain. I am weary with my groaning, and I find no rest.’” *You
O Father, know our down-sitting and our uprising. Nothing is hidden from
You! We know that in Your faithfulness You will *always* do right by us! *Your
:will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 45:4 BARUCH: GOD’S WORD TO HIM. “Thus shall you say to him, Thus says
the LORD: Behold, what I have built I am breaking down, and what I have
planted I am plucking up - that is, the whole land.” *Our sins bring Your
righteous and merciful judgment upon us. You Father, chastise us to prove
that we are not bastards. *Our :daily :bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 45:5a BARUCH: HIS DESIRE FOR HIMSELF. “And do you seek great things
for yourself? Seek them not,” *Our only desire Father, is to please You. We
delight to do Your pleasure. You become our inward and outer defense. *And
forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 45:5b BARUCH: GOD’S PREPARED JUDGMENT UPON ALL FLESH. “for behold, I
am bringing disaster upon all flesh, declares the LORD.” *Yes, You are a
righteous Father! You judge if by any means You can save some. In eternity
we will vindicate every one of Your righteous judgments. You are a hedge of
protection around us. *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 45:5c BARUCH: GOD’S PROMISE TO HIM. “But I will give you your life as
a prize of war in all places to which you may go.” *In the midst of Your
righteous judgments, Your Name for the righteous is a Strong Tower; they
shall run into it and be safe. No wonder we rest in the safety of Your
Kingdom! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: C.H. Spurgeon Quotes: JUSTIFICATION - *We shall grow in grace,
but we shall never be more completely pardoned than when we first believed:
we shall one day stand before the glorious presence of God in his own
sacred courts, and see the Well-beloved and wear his likeness, but we shall
not even then be more perfectly forgiven than we are at this present moment.

 *Our Psalm for the day: 40:7-8 (40) MY HELP AND MY DELIVERER. “Then I
said, “Behold, I have come; in the scroll of the book it is written of me: 8
I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.” *This is
the true expression of our heart! Jesus *always* had this expression as Son
of man for You, Father. We let His Spirit in us always express the same
sentiments. *40:16 “But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you;
may those who love your salvation say continually, ‘Great is the LORD!’” *Yes
Father, we will seek You continually, and we will rejoice in You. We will
grow more and more in love with Your salvation, *and* we will *hallow your
:name* all the day long!

 Subject of Psalm 40: *Jesus* is evidently here, and although it might not
be a violent wrestling of language to see both David and his Lord, both
Christ and the church, the double comment might involve itself in
obscurity, and therefore we shall let the sun shine even though this should
conceal the stars. Even if the New Testament were not so express upon it,
we should have concluded that David spoke of our Lord in 40:6-9, but the
apostle in Hebrews 10:5-9 puts all conjecture out of court and confines the
meaning to Him Who came into the world to do the Father’s will.

 40:1. *I waited patiently for the Lord*. Patient waiting upon God was a
special characteristic of our Lord Jesus. Impatience never lingered in His
heart, much less escaped His lips. All through His agony in the Garden, His
trial of cruel mockings before Herod and Pilate, and His passion on the
tree, He waited in omnipotence of patience. No glance of wrath, no word of
murmurings no deed of vengeance came from God’s patient Lamb; He waited and
waited on; was patient, and patient to perfection, far excelling all others
who have according to their measure glorified God in the fires. Job on the
dunghill does not equal Jesus on the cross. The Christ of God wars the
imperial crown among the patient. Did the Only Begotten wait, and shall we
be petulant and rebellious?

 40:3. *And He has put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God. *At
the Passover, before His passion, our Lord sang one of the grand old Psalms
of praise; but what is the music of His heart now, in the midst of His
redeemed! What a song is that in which His glad heart forever leads the
chorus of the elect! Not Miriam’s tabor, nor Moses’ triumphant hymn o’er
Miriam’s chivalry can for a moment rival that ever new and exulting song.
Just magnified and grace victorious; hell subdued and heaven glorified;
death destroyed and immortality established; sin o’erthrown and
righteousness resplendent; what a theme for a hymn in that day when our
Lord drinks the red wine new with us all in our heavenly Father’s kingdom!

 40:4. *Blessed is the man that makes the Lord his trust.* Faith obtains
promises. A simple, single-eyed confidence in God is the sure mark of
blessedness. A man may be as poor as Lazarus, as hated as Mordecai, as sick
as Hezekiah, as lonely as Elijah, but while his hand of faith can keep its
hold on God, none of his outward afflictions can prevent his being numbered
among the blessed. *Nor such as turn aside to lies. *We must never pay
deference to apostates, time-servers, and false teachers; they are an ill
leaven, and the more we purge ourselves of them the better; they are
blessed whom God preserves from all error in creed and practice. Verily,
were the archfiend of hell to start a carriage and pair, and live like a
lord, he would have thousands who would court his acquaintances.

 40:6. Here we enter upon one of the most wonderful passages in the whole
of the Old Testament, a passage in which the incarnate Son of God is seen
not through a glass darkly, but as it were face to face. *Sacrifice and
offering You did not desire.* In themselves considered, and for their own
sakes, the Lord saw nothing satisfactory in the various offerings of the
ceremonial law. Neither the victim pouring forth its blood, nor the fine
flour rising in smoke from the altar, could yield content to Jehovah’s
mind; He cared not for the flesh of bulls or of goats, neither had He
pleasure in corn and wine and oil. Typically these offerings had their
worth, but when Jesus, the Antitype, came into the world, they ceased to be
of value, as candles are of no estimation when the sun has arisen.

*Burnt offering and sin offering You have not required. *We learn from this
verse that Jehovah values far more the obedience of the heart than all the
imposing performances of ritualistic worship; and that our expiation from
sin comes not to us as the result of an elaborate ceremonial, but as the
effect of our great Substitutes obedience to the will of Jehovah.

 40:7. *Lo, I come. *Behold, O heavens, and you earth, and you places under
the earth! Here is something worthy of your intensest gaze. Sit you down
and watch with earnestness, for the invisible God comes in the likeness of
sinful flesh, and as an infant the Infinite hangs at a virgin’s breast!

Immanuel did not send, but *came; *He came in His own personality, in all
that constituted His essential self. He came forth from the ivory palaces
to the abodes of misery; He came promptly at the destined hour; He came
with sacred alacrity as one freely offering Himself.

 40:8. *Yes, Your law is within my heart.* No outward, formal devotion was
rendered by Christ; His heart was in His work, holiness was His element,
the Father’s will His meat and drink. We must each of us be like our Lord
in this, or we shall lack the evidence of being His disciples. Where there
is no heart work, no pleasure, no delight in God’s law, there can be no
acceptance. *Lo, I have not refrained my lips, O Lord, You know.* Never
either from love of ease, or fear of men, did the Great Teacher’s lips
become closed. He was instant in season and out of season. The poor
listened to Him, and princes heard His rebuke; Publicans rejoiced at Him,
and Pharisees raged, but to them both He proclaimed the truth from heaven.

 40:10. *I have not concealed Your lovingkindness and Your truth from the
great congregation. *The tender as well as the stern attributes of God, our
Lord Jesus fully unveiled. Concealment was far from the Great Apostle of
our confession. Cowardice He never exhibited, hesitancy never weakened His
language. He Who as a child of twelve years spoke in the temple among the
doctors, and afterwards preached to five thousand at Gennesaret, and to the
vast crowds at Jerusalem on the great day, the last day of the feast, was
always ready to proclaim the name of the Lord and could never be charged
with unholy silence.

 40:12. *My iniquities have taken hold upon me, so that I am not able to
look up. *He had no sin, but sins were laid on Him, and He took them as if
they were His. “He was made sin for us.” O my soul, what would your sins
have done for you eternally if the Friend of sinners had not condescended
to take them all upon Himself?

 40:14. *Let them be ashamed and confounded together that seek after my
soul to destroy it. *It is to the infinite confusion of Satan that his
attempts to destroy the Savior destroyed himself; the diabolical conclave
who plotted in council are now all alike put to shame, for the Lord Jesus
has met them at all points and turned all their wisdom into foolishness.

 40:16. *Let all those that seek You rejoice and be glad in You. *He
groaned that we might sing and was covered with a bloody sweat that we
might be anointed with the oil of gladness. *(From “The Treasury of David”
by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O. Fuller)*