Jeremiah 13-20 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 11:15:32 PST 2012

December 29, 2012

 *AUG 2 - JEREMIAH 13-20 - FIVE MORE GENERAL UNDATED PROPHECIES*

 *1. 13:8-9 (13, ESV) SIGN OF THE LINEN GIRDLE. Then the word of the LORD
came unto me: “Thus says the LORD; Even so will I spoil the pride of Judah
and the great pride of Jerusalem.” *Your Kingdom Father, demands
*Your*Rulership! O let us not be marred like Judah because we reject
Your
Kingship! *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 15:1a; 16a (14-15) MESSAGE ON THE DROUGHT. Then the LORD said to me,
“Though Moses and Samuel stood before me, yet my heart would not turn
toward this people. 16a Your words were found, and I ate them, and your
words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart.” *Those who reject
Your Word and yet think themselves righteous are hypocrites! Father, Your
will be done in us as we rejoice in Your Word to do and live it! *Your
:kingdom come!*

 *3. 16:1-2 (16) SIGN OF THE UNMARRIED PROPHET. The word of the LORD came
to me: 2 “You shall not take a wife, nor shall you have sons or daughters
in this place.” *Father, You look after us by Your Word. As You looked
after Jeremiah and protected him from coming judgment, so You for us today
meet our needs! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth!*

 *4. 17:5-6 (17) JEREMIAH: HIS PRAYER AND ANSWER. Thus says the LORD:
“Cursed is the man who trusts in man and makes flesh his strength, whose
heart turns away from the LORD. 6 He is like a shrub in the desert, and
shall not see any good come. He shall dwell in the parched places of the
wilderness, in an uninhabited salt land.” *But see 17:7-8 for a contrast! *Our
:daily :bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 18:1-2 (18) SIGN OF THE POTTER’S HOUSE: FURTHER PERSECUTION. The word
that came to Jeremiah from the LORD: 2 “Arise, and go down to the potter’s
house, and there I will let you hear my words.” *Unnecessary testings will
not come our way, if only we will pay heed to Your Words O Jehovah Father,
to do them. *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our
:debtors!*

 *6. 19:15 (19) SIGN OF THE POTTER’S BOTTLE. “Thus says the LORD of hosts,
the God of Israel, behold, I am bringing upon this city and upon all its
towns all the disaster that I have pronounced against it, because they have
stiffened their neck, refusing to hear my words.” *A hedge against the evil
one is there when we walk in Your Word, O Father; but judgment comes from
You when we turn from Your ways. *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 20:9 (20) JEREMIAH’S COMPLAINT. If I say, “I will not mention him, or
speak any more in his name,” there is in my heart as it were a burning fire
shut up in my bones, and I am weary with holding it in, and I cannot. *Your
Word O Father, prevails above *all* our troubles! *But deliver us from the
evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 15:19 (14-15) JEREMIAH: RECEIVES AN INSIGHTFUL WORD! **Therefore
thus says the LORD: “If you return, I will restore you, and you shall stand
before me. If you utter what is precious, and not what is worthless, you
shall be as my mouth. They shall turn to you, but you shall not turn to
them.” *This day O Father, You *and* Your Word - are pre-eminent for us!

 *Our Psalm for the day: 32:5 (32) BLESSED ARE THE FORGIVEN. I acknowledge
my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said, “I will confess my
transgressions to the LORD,” and you forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah *O
Father, we will praise You for the *Atoning Work* of Christ. *This* is the
basis and ground for all forgiveness. No wonder we *Hallow Your :name!*

 *C.H. Spurgeon Quotes: **“*The fact is, brethren, there is a
predestination, and the doctrines of election and effectual grace are true,
nor may we deny them; but yet the Lord deals with men as responsible
beings, and bids them “strive to enter in at the strait gate,” and to “lay
hold on eternal life.” Such exhortations are evidently intended for free
agents, and indicate that our salvation requires energetic action. (One
preacher said: “I just go ahead and believe, as if *all* depended upon the
Lord; and I just go ahead and work, as if *all* depended upon me!)

 *Psalm 32 - Title: “A Psalm of David, Maschil.” *That David wrote this
gloriously evangelic Psalm is proved not only by this heading but by the
words of the Apostle Paul in Romans 4:6-8; *“Even as David also describes
the blessedness of the man unto God imputes righteousness without works,”
etc. *Probably his deep repentance over his great sin was followed by such
blissful peace that he was led to pour out his spirit in the soft music of
this choice song. In the order of history, it seems to follow the F
ifty-First.

 32:1. *Blessed. *Like the Sermon on the Mount, this Psalm begins with
beatitudes. This is the second Psalm of benediction. The First Psalm
describes the result of holy blessedness, the Thirty-Second details the
cause of it. The first pictures the tree in full growth: this depicts it in
its first planting and watering. *Blessed is he whose transgression is
forgiven.* A full, instantaneous, irreversible pardon of transgression
turns the poor sinner’s hell into heaven and makes the heir of wrath a
partaker in blessing. The word rendered forgiven is, in the original,
“taken off,” or “taken away,” as a burden is lifted or a barrier removed.
What a lift is here! It cost our Savior a sweat of blood to bear our load,
yes, it cost Him His life to bear it quite away. Samson carried the gates
of Gaza, but what was that to the weight which Jesus bore on our behalf? *Whose
sin is covered. *Covered by God, as the ark was covered by the mercy-seat,
as Noah was covered from the flood, as the Egyptians were covered by the
depths of the sea. What a cover must that be which hides away forever from
the sight of the all-seeing God all the filthiness of the flesh and of the
spirit! He who has once seen sin in its horrible deformity will appreciate
the happiness of seeing it no more forever.

 32:2. *Blessed is the man unto whom the Lord imputes not iniquity. *Note
the three words so often used to denote our disobedience: transgression,
sin, and iniquity, are the three-headed dog at the gates of hell, but our
glorious Lord has silenced his barkings forever against His own believing
ones. The trinity of sin is overcome by the Trinity of heaven. *And in
whose spirit is no guile.* Free from guilt, free from guile. Those who are
justified from fault are sanctified from falsehood. A liar is not a
forgiven soul. Treachery, double-dealing, chicanery, dissimulation,
are lineaments
of the devil’s children, but he who is washed from sin is truthful, honest,
simple, and childlike.

 32:4. *For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me. *God’s finger can
crush us - what must His hand be, and that pressing heavily and
continuously! Under terrors of conscience, men have little rest by night,
for the grim thoughts of the day dog them to their chambers and haunt their
dreams, or else they lie awake in a cold sweat of dread. God’s hand is very
helpful when it uplifts, but it is awful when it presses down: better a
world on the shoulder, like Atlas, than God’s hand on the heart, like

David.

 32:6. *In a time when you may be found.* There is, however, a set time for
prayer beyond which it will be unavailing; between the time of sin and the
day of punishment mercy rules the hour, and God may be found, but when once
the sentence has gone forth, pleading will be useless, for the Lord will
not be found by the condemned soul.

 32:7. *You shall preserve me from trouble. *Trouble shall do me no real
harm when the Lord is with me; rather it shall bring me much benefit, like
the file which clears away the rust, but does not destroy the metal.
Observe the three tenses; we have noticed the sorrowful past, the last
sentence was a joyful present, this is a cheerful future.

 32:9. *Whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, lest they come
near unto you.* Those cutting bits of affliction show how hard-mouthed we
are; those bridles of infirmity manifest our headstrong and willful
manners. We should not be treated like mules if there was not so much of
the ass about us.

 32:10. *Many sorrows shall be to the wicked. *He who sows sins will reap
sorrow in heavy sheaves. Sorrows of conscience, of disappointment, of
terror, are the sinners sure heritage in time, and then forever sorrows of
remorse and despair. *But he that trusts in the Lord, mercy shall compass
him about. *The wicked have a hive of wasps around them, many sorrows; but
we have a swarm of bees storing honey for us.

 32:11. *Be glad. *Happiness is not only our privilege but our duty. Truly
we serve a generous God, since He makes it a part of our obedience to be
joyful. How sinful are our rebellious murmurings! How natural does it seem
that a man blest with forgiveness should be glad! We read of one who died
at the foot of the scaffold of overjoy at the receipt of his monarch’s
pardon; and shall we receive the free pardon of the Kong of kings and yet
pine in inexcusable sorrow? *And shout for joy, all you that are upright in
heart. *It is to be feared that the church of the present day, through a
craving for excessive propriety, is growing too artificial; so that
enquirers’ cries and believers’ shouts would be silenced if they were heard
in our assemblies. This may be better than boisterous fanaticism, but there
is as much danger in the one direction as the other. For our part, we are
touched to the heart by a little sacred excess, and when godly men in their
joy o’erleap the narrow bounds of decorum, we do not, like Michal, Saul’s
daughter, eye them with a sneering heart. *(From “The Treasury of David” by
C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O. Fuller)*