Joshua 1:8 - Text for Sermon

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 14:03:16 PST 2012

December 28, 2012

 *JOSHUA 1:8 (1:1-9, AV) - “JEHOVAH'S CHARGE TO JOSHUA”*

(Parallel to Psalm 1:2)

 *This book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth,*

l*o* - yaM*U*SH [4185] s*e*PHER [5612] ha-t*o*R*A*H [8451] hazZEH mipP*I*Yc*
a* [6310],

*but you shall meditate on it day and night,*

ve-h*a*G*I*Ytha [1847] b*o* y*o*M*A*M veLAYlah,

*that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it:*

leMAan tishM*O*R [8104] la-aS*O*TH [6213] ce-c*a*l - hac-c*a*TH*U*B [3789] b
*o*:

*for then you shall make your way prosperous,*

c*i*y - *a*z tatzL*I*Yach [6743] eth - de-r*a*CEca [1870],

*and then you shall have good success.*

veAZ tasC*I*YL [7919].

 The “Outlined Interlinear New Testament” is a project initiated by God
4000 years ago in Hebrew and 3000 years ago in Greek. Then in 1890 He
allowed Russian Ivan Panin to discover His Bible Numeric phenomenon,
incorporated in both Hebrew and Greek in their beginnings. A few years
later, when the Bible Numeric Greek text went to Oxford Press, England for
printing, he discovered the Bible Numeric sentence and paragraph structure,
but too late to incorporate it into the Greek text. However, in the Bible
Numeric English translation, he did make this incorporation.

 Panin died in 1942. At the same time while I was yet an unbeliever - God
spoke to me through His word in Psalm 107 to join the Navy, where he
promised to reveal Himself to me. I did so in July of 1943, and on Passover
of 1944, He indeed did reveal Himself to me, and brought me powerfully into
His Kingdom. In July of that year, He had Russian Jew Dr. Jewell reveal the
works of Ivan Pan to me. In 1945 I ordered all the books and booklets
either by or on Panin. It was then through Panin’s Introduction to his
Bible Numeric Greek Text that I understood the significance of the sentence
and paragraph structure of this text.

 I am an “outliner”. I immediately outlined the book of Ephesians according
to this format. It was so different and illuminating from other outlines,
that I, with God’s encouragement, commenced the Outlining of the entire
work of Panin in an Interlinear arrangement. The very format I chose to
prepare this project in: was to put the English text first, in a clausal
and sentence format. I then set the Greek text beneath, not word for word,
but again clause be clause or sentence by sentence. Above both of these
these texts, sentence by sentence I put an 8-word or less summary -
gathering these summaries into subparagraph summaries; these
intoparagraphs; these into section or chapter equivalents; and these
into the
27 NT book summaries.

 I have use this project in both a Modernistic and Evangelical Seminary -
and have found that it surpasses the best of scholarship I came across
there.

 *However* - this “Outlined Interlinear NT” does *not* automatically open
its secrets to the reader. A believer must *first* press into a
“discipleship posture” challenged by Jesus in the Great Commission of
Matthew 28:18-20. As a disciple, one has identified himself with Jesus in
His death, burial and resurrection of Romans 6. Then as he initially
entered God’s Kingdom “by *grace* through faith” - he now identifies
himself with Jesus as the vine and himself as the branch of John 15:1-16.
He recognizes the *he* has not chosen Christ, but *Christ* has chosen him -
to allow the sap of the Holy Spirit to flow through him, making him a
fruitful branch, pruned by the Father. This is a picture of the “Exchanged
Life” of Galatians 2:20 that Hudson Taylor moved into some 20 years after
his conversion, making him the extraordinary, fruitful founder and director
of the China Inland Mission.

 Why do I labor the above? Because this “Outlined Interlinear NT” is
*not*a secret in itself of the “Overcoming Life” promised in God’s
Bible. It
only opens its secrets through meditation when *first* one has entered the
doors of the “Exchanged Life.” It is Jesus by His Spirit, by His Heredity,
bringing out His life through us - that brings us into the successful
conditions to release the blessing of this Introduction.

 *Then* one in the New Testament can go *beyond* Joshua in the Old
Testament in chapter 1:8!

 And what did God do in preparation to make Joshua so fruitful as a Bible
Mediator? First of all, He chose him as the servant of Moses when he was
40, and Moses 80. Under Moses, He trained him as a true servant for 40
years. He and Caleb were the 2 faithful spies out of the 12 who retained
with a good report of Canaan-land. Then when Moses would leave the Tent
outside the camp - Joshua often remained in the presence of the LORD. Then
when God appointed Joshua as Moses’ successor, He had Moses lay hands on
Joshua; who received *not* just the gift of wisdom - but the *spirit* of
wisdom!

 Once Joshua led Israel across the Jordan for the conquest of Canaan-land,
he only missed God twice! Once he failed to consult Urim and Thummim
concerning the problem with Achan at Ai; and secondly he failed to consult
Urim and Thummim when the Gibeonites deceived him concerning being
neighbors slated for destruction. Aside from these 2 lapses, Joshua
successfully led Israel in the conquest of the 7 nations of Canaan, plus
the successful division of the land for the 9 ½ tribes west of Jordan.

 And *how* did Joshua 1:8 figure into all of this? *One*. Joshua
anticipated David and how he kept the Word of God continually in his mouth.
*This* makes a man after God’s own heart! Just look at the “Treasury of
David” in the Psalms! David did not depart from God’s Word as a rule.
Joshua walked in the same rule.

 Daniel and Isaiah walked this same walk. Look at Isaiah 66:2b. The LORD
says, *“But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is **humble** and **
contrite** in spirit and **trembles at my word**!” *This too is a picture
of Joshua. It is *not* what we know that counts; it is *what we do* with
what we know - that counts! Jesus said so at the close of His Sermon on the
Mount (Matthew 5-7).

 *Two*. Then upon this word not departing out of his mouth, Joshua *
meditated* upon it *day and night*!

 It is *at this point* that the “Outlined Interlinear NT” becomes of *
inestimable* value to the believer! The “LOgos word” of John 1:1 - through
meditation - is then *transformed* into the “R*E*ma-word” of Luke 1:37-38
and John 6:63. The written word (LOgos) means little to the unbeliever, and
to the undiscipled believer, it is *not* a “living-word”. But to the
believer who has been identified with Jesus in His death, burial *and
resurrection* of Romans 6; and has received the Gift (d*o*-reA) of the Holy
Spirit (Acts 2:28) following baptism - *then* Bible Meditation becomes a
delight! George Muller discovered this secret at the approximate age of 37
- and from then on - like Hudson Taylor, his life took a dimension of *
exceeding* fruitfulness. They fulfilled John 15:16! *“You di**d** not
choose me, but **I chose you, and appointed you**, that you go and bear
fruit, and **that** **your :fruit abide**: that whatever you shall ask of
the Father in my :name, **he give you**.”* Each believer has the potential
of this *same* promise! Holy Ann

from Ireland entered fully into this. So did Billy Bray of Cornwall,
England.

 In Psalm 19:14 David entreats the LORD - that the *words of his mouth*,
and the *meditation* of his heart should prove acceptable to Him - His
strength and Redeemer! Joshua no doubt had exactly *the same* heart desire!

 You and I through the “Outlined Interlinear NT” can have an even greater
access into the NT blessings of God. Look at Matthew 5:3-12 - the
Beatitudes of the Sermon on the Mount! Use *them* as you initiate the area
of meditation. Follow this up with Matthew 6:5-15 - the Lord’s Prayer.
Meditating on these 2 portions of the NT will certainly put you into orbit,
transforming the LOgos word into the R*E*ma word! The Holy Spirit may then
lead you into other portions of the NT to meditate upon. See 2 Peter 1:5-7
as a third possibility. I have 20 of these natural Bible “word” series that
moves one into fruitfulness!

 For those interested more in “digital E-books” over and above written
books, this is about to become available in the “Outlined Interlinear NT”.
Check *<www.btjoh**n**sonpublishing.com>* for its soon appearance.

 *Third*. Knowledge puffs up - but love (aGAp*e*) builds up! And how does
one effect this transformation? By *acting upon* the Word of God. By
hearing and *doing* the words of Jesus both directly and through His
apostles. Trust and *obey* - for there’s *no other way* - To be happy in
Jesus - but to trust and obey!

 It is very difficult for our human nature to come to the conclusion that *
only* by having a “White Funeral” for our “self-life” - and then letting *
Jesus* take over and run our life by the Holy Spirit - can one be complete
and satisfied in this life. Only then can “Bible meditation” become viable
and fruitful! There’s no other way! All the great saints of the past came
to this conclusion - and made this drastic decision. See John Bunyan’s
“Pilgrim Progress”! Do we and they do it perfectly? No - not till the
resurrection at Jesus' Second Coming will we be perfected. But - the
possibility - the advance - the difference between a disciple and a
non-disciple down here - is *enormous*! John Wesley, Charles Spurgeon,
George Whitefield, George Muller, Rees Howells - are but a few who portray
the extraordinary success that comes to those who decide to make this
transition!

 And - it isn’t achieved by “good works”! It is achieved by *grace* through
faith - both to initially enter the Kingdom of God, and then to become a
full-fledged disciple! As you received Christ Jesus the Lord (by grace
through faith) - *so* *walk in Him* (by grace through faith!) It is our
Sovereign God who sees us through - *not* we ourselves!

 *Four*. And what is the result of fulfilling the above 3 conditions in our
test? - Two outstanding promises of God! *For **then** you shall make your
way prosperous* - and *then** you will have good success.*

 True prosperity and true success is eternal - and is absolutely dependent
upon fulfilling the above 3 conditions! See the prosperity and success of
Joshua! Amazing! See the same for David! for Daniel! for Jesus! for Job!

 *Conclusion*: So this text - Joshua 1:8 - though given to an OT saint - is
perfectly adaptable for us as NT saints.

 And the “Outlined Interlinear NT” then becomes a fitting tool - designed
and brought forth by God - to meet the need of NT saints, in a most
practical and fruitful manner!

 I have over 40 on a special prayer list, including myself - that I pray
for daily. I pray that we will each one individually - and together
corporately - realize the above truths of our text given by God to Joshua
some 3500 years ago.

 I for one, am absolutely convinced of the truthfulness of this concept in
our text. I fully and completely encourage each one of you to join with us
- and enter into the above “halls of highest human happiness”!

 Your friend - Jim Watt