1 Corinthians 5-7 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 12:45:39 PST 2012

December 17, 2012

 *JUL 26 - 1 CORINTHIANS 5-7 - MORAL AND ETHICAL JUDGMENTS*

 *1. 5:7-8b (5, NNT) FORNICATION: RULES FOR BELIEVER AND UNBELIEVER. “Purge
out the old leaven, that you be a new lump, even as you are unleavened. For
our :passover also has been sacrificed, Christ: 8a-b wherefore let us keep
festival with unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.” *No mixture Father,
no mixture! This is Your will for us. Body, soul and spirit - holy and
blameless before You! This is Your desire! *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 6:7-8 (6:1-11) LAWSUITS: RULES FOR BELIEVERS. “No, already it is
altogether a defect in you, that you have lawsuits one with another. Why
not rather take wrong? why not rather be defrauded? 8 But YOU wrong
anddefraud, and that brethren.”
*Father, we thank You that *we can **d**o your will in this respect*. We
thank Your for agencies to help us in this respect. *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 6:18 (6:12-20) FORNICATION: SIN AGAINST THE BODY. “Flee fornication.
Every sin that a man does is without the body; but who commits fornication
sins against his :own body. *Father, You have written Your laws into our
bodies. Whatever a man sows, that shall he also reap. Homosexual perversion
is reaping *Aids*. We choose to reject unscriptural seduction, and walk in
ways of righteousness. *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 7:7 (7:1-7) MARRIAGE: GOD’S PROVISION AGAINST FORNICATION. “Yet I
would all men were even as I myself. But each has his :own gift from God,
one this wise, and another thus wise.” *We thank You,* *Father, for those
able and willing to be eunuchs for Your Kingdom’s sake. We thank You for
the example of Paul. But we thank You that he did not legally shut us all
up to the same rule! Required priestly celibacy breaks God’s provision.
Forgive us for legally forcing our personal standards on one another! *Our
:daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 7:14 (7:8-16) SEPARATION: RULE WHEN INITIATED BY AN UNBELIEVER. “For
the unbelieving :husband is sanctified in the wife, and the unbelieving
:wife is sanctified in the brother: else were your :children unclean; but
now are they holy.” *What wisdom in words! What comfort! We bless You
Father, for Your words of wisdom through the apostle Paul. Help us to be
just as wise and loving in applying these truths. *And forgive us our
:debts, as we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 7:17 (7:17-24) PRINCIPLE: ABIDE IN STATE IN WHICH CALLED. “Only, as
the Lord has distributed to each, as :God has called each, thus let him
walk. And thus I ordain in all the churches.” *Whether married or
unmarried; circumcised or uncircumcised; slave or free: You Father, tell us
to remain at the stage into which we come into Your Kingdom. Our state does
*not* hinder our walk with You. *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 7:25 (7:25-40) GIFT OF SINGLENESS: ITS ADVANTAGE. “Now concerning the
virgins I have no commandment of the Lord: but I give judgment, as one that
has obtained mercy of the Lord, to be faithful.” *What an amazing
revelation! Almost everything Paul wrote is *Your* Word to us, Father,
through Jesus Christ! And even the advantage of the Gift of Singleness is
most likely Your will. *But deliver us from the evil one.*

 *NOTE: 6:19-20 (6:12-20) OUR BODIES’ RELATIONSHIP TO HOLY SPIRIT. “Or do
you not know that your :body is a sanctuary of the Holy Spirit who is in
you, whom you have from God? and you are not your own; 20 for you were
bought with a price: glorify :God therefore in your :body.” *We thank You
Father, that we have no right over our bodies. They are *Yours* to be lived
in holy and righteous fashion. We are *stewards* of our body,
*answerable*to You!
*Burn* this truth upon our heart!

 *Our Psalm for the day: 26:8 (26, ESV) I WILL BLESS THE LORD. “O LORD, I
love the habitation of your house and the place where your glory dwells.” *Your
House, Your Name, Your Honor, Your Spirit, Your Kingdom: for all these and
more Father, we *Hallow Your :name!*

 *How to Choose a Church: Quote by Charles H. Spurgeon - *“I would
recommend you to choose the church of which you would be a member and the
pastor whom you would hear by this one thing - by how much of Christ there
is in that church and how much of the savor of Christ there is in that
ministry.* *

 *Psalm 26 Title: “A Psalm of David.” *The sweet singer of Israel is before
us in this Psalm as one enduring reproach; in this he was the type of the
great Son of David and is an encouraging example to us to carry the burden
of slander to the throne of grace. It is an ingenious surmise that this
appeal to heaven was written by David at the the time of the assassination
of Ish-bosheth by Baanah and Rechab to protest his innocence of all
participation in the treacherous murder. The tenor of the Psalm certainly
agrees with the supposed occasion, but it is not possible with such a
slender clue to go beyond conjecture.

 26:1 *For I have walked in my integrity. *He held integrity as his
principle and walked in it as his practice. David had not used any
traitorous or unrighteous means to gain the crown or to keep it; he was
conscious of having been guided by the noblest principles of honor in all
his actions with regard to Saul and his family.

What a comfort it is to have the approbation of one’s own conscience! If
there be peace within the soul, the blustering storms of slander which howl
around us are of little consideration. When the little bird in my bosom
sings a merry song it is no matter to me if a thousand owls hoot at me from
without!

 26:4. *I have not sat with vain persons. *So far from being himself an
open offender against the laws of God, the Psalmist had not even associated
with the lovers of evil. He had kept aloof from the men of Belial. A man is
known by his company, and if we have kept ourselves apart from the wicked,
it will always be evidence in our favor should our character be impugned.
He who was never in the parish is not likely to have stolen the corn. He
who never went to sea is clearly not the man who scuttled the ship.

 24:7. *And tell of all Your wondrous works. *God’s people should not be
tongue-tied. The wonders of divine grace are enough to make the tongue of
the dumb sing. God’s works of love are wondrous if we consider the
unworthiness of their objects, the costliness of their method, and the
glory of their result. And as men find great pleasure in discoursing upon
things remarkable and astonishing, so the saints rejoice to tell of the
great things which the Lord has done for them.