Isaiah 28-33 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 12:36:48 PST 2012

December 3, 2012

 *JUL 14 - ISAIAH 28-33 - SIX “WOES” UPON JERUSALEM*

 *1. 28:11-12 (28, ESV) WOE TO EPHRAIM AND JUDAH. “For by people of strange
lips and with a foreign tongue the LORD will speak to this people, 12 to
who he has said, ‘This is my rest to the weary; and this is repose’; yet
they would not hear.” *The Babylonian tongue, had it been submitted to, would
have brought rest to Judah for 70 years. The Pentecostal tongues brought *
rest* to those submitting to God’s Holy Spirit. *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 29:14 (29) WOE TO JERUSALEM AND LEBANON. “Therefore, behold, I will
again do wonderful things with this people, with wonder upon wonder; and
the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the discernment of their
discerning men shall be hidden.” *Father, Your will be done in us according
to Your Word: not our humanistic reasonings whereby we deify the human mind
as God! *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 30:15 (30-31) WOE TO EGYPTIAN PARTY: CAPTIVITY TURNED. “For thus said
the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel, ‘In returning and rest you shall be
saved; in quietness and in trust shall be your strength.’ But you were
unwilling.” *Our way Father, is to trust in man before You. We repent of
our man-trust, and return to You with God-trust! *Your :will be done, As in
heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 30:21 (30-31) WOE TO EGYPTIAN PARTY: REPRIEVE. “And your ears shall
hear a word behind you, saying, ‘This is the way, walk in it,’ when you
turn to the right or when you turn to the left.” *Egypt will not help us!
The wisdom of the world is a mirage! We repent of our proneness to trust in
any but You, Father! We hear Your voice and follow. *Our :daily :bread Give
us this day.*

 *5. 32:17 (32) MESSIANIC JUDGMENT AND MERCY. “And the effect of
righteousness will be peace, and the result of righteousness, quietness and
trust forever.” *Father, how You love to make peace and joy flow from
righteousness (Romans 14:17). Yes, in the last days You shall work a work
to make our ears tingle. You will open the book and unseal its words! *And
forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 33:6 (33:1-12) WOE TO ANTICHRIST. “And he will be the stability of
your times, abundance of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge; the fear of the
LORD is Zion’s treasure.”*

O teach us this truth, Father! By Your Spirit write it deeply upon our
heart. In the midst of chaos and confusion, You will keep us secure in the
eye of the storm. *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 33:22 (33:13-24) REIGN OF MESSIAH. **“For the LORD is our judge; the
LORD is our lawgiver; the LORD is our king; he will save us.” *Yes Father,
we assent to this word! We embrace it, and by doing so embrace You! In You
we *more* than conquer! *But deliver us from the evil **one!*

 *NOTE**: 28:17-18b (28) A CORNERSTONE IN ZION! **“And I will make justice
the line, and righteousness the plumb line; and hail will sweep away the
refuge of lies, and waters will overwhelm the shelter.” **18a **Then your
covenant with death will be annulled, and your agreement with Sheol will
not stand.” *Father, you have started to lay the plumb line against the lie
and falsehood. What You have commenced, You *will* complete!

 *Our Psalm for the day: 14:7 (14) THE FOOL SAYS, THERE IS NO GOD! “Oh,
that salvation for Israel would come out of Zion! When the LORD restores
the fortunes of his people, let Jacob rejoice, let Israel be glad.” *Weeping
may endure for a night, but *joy* comes in the morning. After judgment -
You O Father, send *mercy*. You only correct in measure! *Hallowed be your
:name!*

 As no distinguishing title is given to this Psalm, we would suggest as an
assistance to the memory, the heading “Concerning Practical Atheism.”

 14:1 *The fool. *The atheist is the fool preeminently and a fool
universally. He would not deny God if her were not a fool by nature, and
having denied God it is no marvel that he becomes a fool in practice. Sin
is aways folly, and as it is the height of sin to attack the very existence
of the Most High, so is it also the greatest imaginable folly. One fool
makes hundreds, and a noisy blasphemer spreads his horrible doctrines as
lepers spread the plague. Ainsworth, in his *Ann**o**tations, *tells us
that the word here used is *Nabal*, which has the significance of fading,
dying, or falling away, as a withered leaf or flower; it is a title given
to the foolish man as have lost the juice and sap of wisdom, reason,
honesty, and godliness. Trapp hits the mark when he call him “that sapless
fellow, that carcass of a man, that walking sepulcher of himself, in whom
all religion and right reason is withered and wasted, dried up and
decayed.” Some translate it the *apostate*, and others *the wretch*. With
what earnestness we should shun the appearance of doubt as to the presence,
activity, power, and love of God, for all such mistrust is of the nature of
folly, and who among us would wish to be ranked with the fool in the texts?
Yet let us not forget that *all unregenerate men are more or less such fools
*!

 14:3 *They are altogether become filthy*. The only reason why we do not
more clearly see this foulness is because we are accustomed to it, just as
those who work daily among offensive odors at last cease to smell them! *There
is none that does good, no, not one.* The Holy Spirit is not content with
saying all and altogether, but adds the crushing threefold negative, *none,
no, not one*.

 14:4 *Who eat up my people as they eat bread.* As pikes in a pond eat up
little fish, as eagles prey on smaller birds, as wolves rend the sheep of
the pasture, so sinners naturally and as a matter of course, persecute,
malign, and mock the followers of the Lord Jesus.

 14:7 *Oh that the salvation were come out of Zion! when the Lord brings
back the captivity of His people, Jacob shall rejoice, and Israel shall be
glad. *Natural enough is this closing prayer, for what would so effectually
convince atheists, overthrow persecutors, stay sin, and secure the godly,
as the manifest appearance of Israel’s great salvation? The coming of
Messiah was the desire of the godly in all ages, and though He has already
come with a sin-offering to purge away iniquity, we look for Him to come a
second time, to come without a sin-offering unto salvation. - (From “The
Treasuries of David” by C.H. Spurgeon, Abridged by David Otis Fuller.)