John 15:16 - Sermon

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 09:13:29 PST 2012

November 30, 2012

 *2012-11-28 - JOHN 15:16*

 q. 15:16 THE DOCTRINE OF ELECTION EXPLAINED

*You did not choose me, but I chose you,*

ouch huMEIS me e-xeLExas-the [1585], all’ eG*O* e-xe-leXAm*e*n huMAS,

*and appointed you, that you go and bear fruit,*

kai Eth*e*-ka [5087] huMAS, HIna huMEIS huPAg*e*-te kai karPON PHEr*e*-te,

*and that your :fruit abide: * kai ho karPOS huM*O*N MEn*e*:

*that whatever you shall ask of the Father in my :name, he give you. *

HIna HOti an aiT*E*s*e*-te [154] ton paTEra en t*o* oNOmaTI [3686]
mou, d*o*huMIN.

 *The above was a key verse with Dr. E. Stanley Jones. Each time before he
preached, in a preceding prayer time he quoted this verse to God, and asked
Him to fulfill it in the light of his upcoming sermon. *

 *Richard Ellsworth day, author of the biography of Charles H. Spurgeon,
“The Shadow of the Broad Brim” - speaks very highly of Stanley Jones.*

 *In 1952, the American Baptist Publication Society gave as a gift to the
graduating class of Northern Baptist Theological Seminary - a copy of the
above biography. I have recently reread it 60 years later, and have been
impressed with Spurgeon, as the “Heir of the Puritans”. He had some 7000 of
their volumes in his library, and had mastered them all. He had a
photographic memory, and could read 4-5 of these heavy books in a week; and
on occasion - in one day!*

 *In his short lifetime of 57 years, he preached 3500 expository sermons
based on key verses of the Bible. These were printed up in 75 volumes, and
are available on Websites listed under “Spurgeon”. He also wrote numbers of
books, chief of which is the 7-volume “Treasury of David”.*

 *The above verse does not allow us to consider the “free will” of man as
being predominant, but the Sovereignty of God. Spurgeon fought the former
concept for 5 years prior to his conversion, but finally submitted to the
Word of God. George Muller had a 10 year struggle the same way. I did also.
Spurgeon states that we all of Adam’s seed, start out as “free-will”
Arminians - but many of us end up as Calvinists, advocating the Sovereignty
of God.*

 *We firmly admit like the apostle Paul that there is no good in us (Romans
7:18; Philippians 3:3) - but we are born in sin from Adam, with “Total
Depravity.” But through the Grace of God through our Lord Jesus Christ - we
are offered the full “Unmerited Favor of God.” This is based on the Atoning
work of Jesus Christ on the Cross, and because of God’s Predestinating
Power, can be called “Limited Atonement.” And - those He has chosen and
effectively received, He then through his “Irresistible Grace”, works into
them the very image of His Son. All such enjoy the “Perseverance of the
Saints” - and sense God’s gracious work in bringing them through to the
“Celestial City” - as He did for John Bunyan in “Pilgrim's Progress”.*

 *Spurgeon soon began to walk the same pathway, and by God’s grace was
effectively enabled to preach this message to multiplied thousands for over
30 years; England and other lands were powerfully affected. *

*D. L. Moody entered into a transformed experience through him. Friends
like George Muller and J. Hudson Taylor teamed up with him for the sake of
the “Expansion of Missions”.*

 *But though Spurgeon was held captive by the Sovereignty of God - with the
balance of the free-will of man - yet those truly born again who did not
see the Scriptures his way - he yet received them as full members of
Christ’s body, and looked forward to fellowship with them in heaven.*

 *Spurgeon greatly admired George Whitefield, and his relationship with
John Wesley. Some one in America asked Whitefield, a Calvinist - Do you
believe that Wesley, an Arminian, will make heaven? “My dear sir,” he
replied, “When we get to heaven - John Wesley will be so close to the
Throne of God - that we’ll scarcely be able to see him!” That was the same
sentiment of Charles Spurgeon! And of me! *

 *But look at Jeremiah. God foreknew him before he was conceived, let alone
being born! Paul also acknowledged that God foreknew him before he was
separated from his mother’s womb. *

 *Then there were 8 Bible men who were all named by God prior to their
birth - Josiah and Cyrus, 100’s of years ahead of birth!*

 *But now - let us consider the 5 truths set forth by our text! First of
all, let us consider the context. Broadly speaking, John 13-17, 5 chapters,
hold this verse in its grip. I have entitled this section, “Glorifying
Jesus: The Goal of the Holy Spirit!” I believe He led John to record here
this truth in a wonderful way.*

 *The immediate paragraph containing our verse is John 15 & 16 - “Results
from the Spirit’s Coming”. But the sub-paragraph of our verse, John 15:1-16
speaks of “Fruit: the Purpose of the Spirit.” And when we come to our text
in 15:16, we see indeed how “The Doctrine of Election is Explained!”*

 *A. We did not choose Christ! He said so! There is a basic antipathy in
all human beings concerning God, Jesus Christ and His Bible! Look at what
America is trying to do with all 3 today! When Adam sinned, he died to God,
and we his offspring, have rebelled ever since.*

 *But God! By His grace sent His Son to die for Adam’s sin - and by the
Holy Spirit bring His elect into His Kingdom! I have seen this work. It
worked for me! God by the Holy Spirit replaced our,. fallen heredity - with
the very Heredity of the Eternal Son of God, through the Gift of the Holy
Spirit! I can’t explain the Trinity, but like Billy Graham - I receive all
of the Bible by faith. I acknowledge the choice of God on my behalf, and
the Sovereign way He led me into His Kingdom, like the Master Chess-player!
*

 *Am I perfected? Not yet - and neither is any other saint! We are in the
process of sanctification. At our Resurrection at Jesus’ Second Coming,
this will be consummated! *

 *B. Christ Chose Us! No wonder the Gospel is called Good News! If it were
left up to us - desolation! But with God’s initiation - Restoration;
Redemption; Reconciliation! and much more! *

 *Salvation has been initiated by God! The Sovereignty of God, not our
free-will - is critical here. Predestination is involved here, and freely
spoken of in God’s Bible to us!*

 *We all start out with faith in our free-will. It takes time and
consistent Bible meditation and prayer to show us how God and His
Sovereignty takes precedence over our puny free-will.*

 *C. Christ Appointed us to be Fruit-bearers! Our life is now for the
Gloryof God. See John Wesley’s prayer for the Methodist Class Meetings
here:
*

*I am no longer my own, but Yours!*

*Put me to what You will;*

*Link me with whom You will!*

*I freely and heartily*

*Yield all things to Your pleasure and disposal!*

 *No wonder George Whitefield spoke so highly of John Wesley!*

 *There are two kinds of fruit in which God is interested:*

*The fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23), and*

*The fruit of souls (Proverbs 11:30)!*

*The first is the condition that makes us effective for the second!*

 *D. Christ appointed Our Fruit to Remain! When we are fully His, and His
Spirit fully indwells and empowers us - then the fruit that issues forth
from this union - abides - or remains!*

*This statement was true of the 12 apostles*

*to whom Christ originally spoke it -*

*but it was also true for the early believers!*

*And, because of Acts 2:39 - It is true for you and me - and our kids!*

 *E. Christ Appointed “Answers to Prayer” in His Name! But - all these
promises are conditional. Full discipleship is the key! In the Great
Commission of Matthew 28:18-20 - Jesus commission us to make disciples, not
just converts! Converts are but a first step into the Kingdom. Teaching
commands to keep all the Words of Jesus, plus His Words through the
apostles (2 Peter 1:21; 1 Corinthians 14:37) - these enable us to fulfill
the conditions to see our prayers marvelously answered! See 1 John 5:14-15 -
*

“*And this is the **boldness which we have toward him,*

*that, if we ask anything according to his :will,*

*he hears us**;*

*15 and if we know that he hears us*

*whatsoever we ask**,*

*we know that we have the petitions which we have asked of him.”*

 *What a grand and marvelous promise. George Muller, J. Hudson Taylor, Rees
Howells, Oswald Chambers, Charles Spurgeon, Amy Carmichael - and many more
- all saw this promise fulfilled!*

 *And - God is no respecter of persons! What He did for these who met His
conditions - He will do for you and me.*

 *God in His Wisdom and Sovereignty - has arranged that 70 years after the
death of His servant Ivan Panin - his “Outlined Interlinear New Testament”
based on God’s Bible Numerics - is now in print. It is designed as an aid
for Bible Meditation. It simplifies and aids one in breaking into the heart
of God. It enables 20th Century saints to move more deftly into the realm
of victory of the saints who have preceded us. *

 *It will help us to fulfill the truth of our text - John 15:16.*

 *See <www.btjohnsonpublishing.com> for more information.*

 *Jim Watt*