2 Kings 22-23 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 11:20:18 PST 2012

November 6, 2012

 *JUN 24 - 2 KINGS 22-23 - JOSIAH’S REVIVAL*

 *1. 22:2 (22:1-2, ASV ‘01) JOSIAH: EIGHTH AND LAST GOOD KING OF JUDAH. “And
Josiah did that which was right in the eyes of Jehovah, and walked in all
the way of David his father, and turned not aside to the right hand or to
the left.” *What a bright and shining light! How favorably Josiah compared
with his father David, and the plumbline he gave. Father, we too would
honor you by seeking to walk in such an honorable way. *Hallowed be Your
:name.*

 *2. 22:8 (22:3-10) JOSIAH: REPAIRS TEMPLE AND DISCOVERS LAW. “And Hilkiah
the high priest said unto Shaphan the scribe, I have found the book of the
law in the house of Jehovah. And Hilkiah delivered the book to Shaphan, and
he read it.” *What Manasseh buried, Josiah revived. O how he loved Your
word, Father! Like Moses, Joshua, Ezra, Nehemiah: he *honored* Your Word,
and so honored You. We too would follow his example. *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 22:11 (22:11:14) JOSIAH: DISCOVERS SIN AND REPENTS. “And it came to
pass, when the king had heard the words of the book of the law, that he
ripped his clothes.” *Josiah was right in being alarmed at what he had
heard. His heart was broken at the enormity of the sin that had been
committed. But never during this time did he ever doubt Your goodness,
Father. *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 22:16 (22:15-20) JOSIAH: HEARS JUDGMENT FROM HULDAH. “Thus says
Jehovah, Behold, I will bring evil upon this place, and upon the
inhabitants of it, even all the words of the book which the king of Judah
has read.” *May we too like Josiah perceive the enormity of Your wrath
against deliberate sin! The sin of Manasseh as a leader is affecting his
progeny. Except for Jesus, and His propitiatory sacrifice to You, where
would any of us be? *Our :daily bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 23:3 (23:1-3) JOSIAH: INFORMS PEOPLE AND MAKES A COVENANT. “And the
king stood by the pillar, and made a covenant before Jehovah, to walk after
Jehovah, and to keep his commandments, and his testimonies, and his
statutes, with all his heart, and all his soul, to confirm the words of
this covenant that were written in this book: and all the people stood to
the covenant.” *May we like Josiah see the importance of *covenant* in both
Old and New Covenant times! To fail here is extremely serious. * And
forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 23:25 (23:4-25) JOSIAH: HIS MANIFOLD REFORMATIONS. “And like unto
Josiah was there no king before him, that turned to Jehovah with all his
heart, and with all his soul, and with all his might, according to all the
law of Moses; neither after him arose there any like him.” *It would seem
that Josiah surpassed even David, in his zeal for You, O great Jehovah
Father! *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 23:26 (23:26-30a) JOSIAH: REFORMATION CANNOT AVERT
JUDGMENT!“Notwithstanding, Jehovah did not turn from the fierceness of
his great
wrath, with which his anger was kindled against Judah, because of all the
provocations which which Manasseh had provoked him.” *In spite of Josiah,
because of Manasseh the die was cast: judgment was inevitable.
*Righteous*are You in Your judgments, Father.
*But deliver us from the evil one.*

 *NOTE**:* Josiah had a very tender heart unto the Lord. See these words
that Huldah the prophetess sent unto him - “*But unto the king of Judah,
who sent you to inquire of Jehovah, thus shall you say to him, Thus says
Jehovah, the God of Israel: As touching the words which you have
heard, 19because your heart was tender, and you did humble yourself
before Jehovah,
when you heard what I spoke against this place, and against the inhabitants
of it, that they should become a desolation and a curse, and have ripped
your clothes, and wept before me; I also have heard you, says Jehovah.
20Therefore, behold, I will gather you to your fathers, and you shall
be
gathered to your grave in peace, neither shall your eyes see all the evil
which I will bring upon this place. And they brought the king word again”
22:18-20 (22:15-20). *

 There are lessons in this reading however, that we cannot afford to miss!
Even though Manasseh repented following God's judgment upon his life - yet
sin had progressed too far! But God in mercy removed Josiah before Babylon
took him into its 70 year captivity.

 In a very real sense, it is appropriate to pay special attention to these
two exemplary kings: Hezekiah and Josiah. Not only did they remove the high
places both in the Kingdom of Judah - but also in some of the tribes of the
northern kingdom Israel.

 In 1960 I came across the Bible teaching series of Dr. J. Vernon McGee. I
felt it was a wise decision on his part to teach through one book of the
Bible at a time - alternating them between Old and New Testaments. So that
it was Genesis - Matthew; Exodus - Mark; Leviticus - Luke, etc.

 I added an extra innovation, by taking Psalms and Proverbs out of context
so that we have a Psalm a day for the first 5 months followed by Proverbs
for the sixth; and repeating these two for the second half of the year.

 I preached and taught through the Bible in a year 3 times a week in Round
Lake, Illinois in 1960. I found it an extremely demanding schedule. Then in
1963 outside of Leavenworth Washington, a lady challenged me to write this
into a Reading Guide. Our goal is to place this on our Website. We use the
Hebrew order for OT books, and God's Bible Numeric Order for the NT.

 In 1954 we led the Kostner Avenue Baptist Church of Chicago to read
through the Bible in a year, for the first time for well over 90% of the
congregation. We added to this Bible reading - up to 13 prayer meetings a
week! God heard, and in 1957 we saw l00 souls come to the Lord, and
retained each one! Our missionary giving grew to 51% a year, and the
average was $150 a year back then, even including the babies. It takes the
balance of the Word and the Spirit through prayer to see true revival, and
the blessing of the Lord.

 I have chosen the ASV 1901 (American Standard Version) for the Old
Testament quotations, and God's Bible Numeric translation by Ivan Panin for
the New Testament. Panin in his day found the ASV to be the closest of all
translations to the Bible Numeric Phenomenon.

 See 2 Timothy 3:16 in the latter: “*Every scripture** **is** **God breathed
**, and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for
discipline **which is **:in righteousness:” *Note the construction “*every
scripture* *is* *God breathed*.” In many other translations, this
particular Greek construction is correctly translated - *except* in
oneinstance; where with full understanding of the unscholarliness they
exhibit, they deliberately and inconsistently put it - “every scripture *that
is* God breathed” - putting doubt upon parts of the Bible that *may
not be*God- breathed! The fact that they correctly translate this
construction in
*all other* places but *this* - reveals their wickedness in this instance.

 So - check other translations for 2 Timothy 3:16 - and those that do
*not*render it in the light of 2 Peter 1:21 and 1 Corinthians 14:37 -
*rightly* have the gravest suspicion of other areas of their translation.