2 Kings 4 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 10:41:05 PDT 2012

November 1, 2012

 *JUN 20 - 2 KINGS 4 - ELISHA: ASSORTED MIRACLES*

 *1. 4:2 (4:1-7, ESV) ELISHA: WIDOW’S NEEDS MET BY MIRACLE. And Elisha said
to her, “What shall I do for you? Tell me; what have you in the house?” And
she said, “Your servant has nothing in the house except a jar of oil.” *What
does Your Kingdom require, Father? Faith in You to release Kingdom Power to
multiply loaves and fish, oil and peace! *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 4:16 (4:8-17) ELISHA: REWARDS A WOMAN’S HOSPITALITY. And he said, “At
this season, about this time next year, you shall embrace a son.” And she
said, “No, my lord, O man of God; do not lie to your servant.” *You honor
hospitality and faithfulness, Father. Your will is done in such hearts on
earth, who exercise the care of Your earthly servants. *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 4:20 (4:18-21) ELISHA’S BED: RECEIVES THE DEAD BOY. “And when he had
lifted him and brought him to his mother, the child sat on her lap till
noon, and then he died.” *When we reach the place of extremity, You Father,
provide the prophet’s bed to cast our care upon. You provide our need in
season. *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 4:27b-28 (4:22-31) ELISHA: PREFERRED ABOVE GEHAZI. But the man of God
said to Gehazi, “Leave her alone, for she is in bitter distress, and the
LORD has hidden it from me and has not told me.” 28 Then she said, “Did I
ask my lord for a son? Did I not say, ‘Do not deceive me?’” *Have I a
bitter spirit? Are You aware of it Father, and do You reveal it to Your
servant for my ultimate good? Yes, You are this kind of a God! *Our :daily
:bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 4:35 (4:32-37) ELISHA: RESURRECTS THE SHUNAMMITE’S SON. “Then he got
up again and walked once back and forth in the house, and went up and
stretched himself upon him. The child sneezed seven times, and the child
opened his eyes.” *Is our faith ofttimes tested? Yes indeed, for our good!
But always, You test us only as much as we are able to bear! *And forgive
us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 4:41 (4:38-41) ELISHA: HEALS DEATH IN THE POT AT GILGAL. He said,
“Then bring flour.” And he threw it into the pot and said, “Pour some out
for the men, that they may eat.” And there was no harm in the pot. *No
matter what problem strikes, You O Father, suffer *not* the evil to triumph
over us. Love always triumphs over evil. *And lead us not into temptation!*

 *7. 4:43 (4:42-44) ELISHA: MULTIPLIES FOOD. But the servant said, “How can
I set this before a hundred men?” So he repeated, “Give them to the men,
that they may eat, for thus says the LORD, ‘They shall eat and have some
left.’” *Your Kingdom of multiplication operated under the Old Covenant
before Jesus demonstrated the same under the New, O Father! *But deliver us
from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 8:5b-6a (8:1-6) ELISHA: AFTERMATH OF WIDOW’S SON. **And Gehazi
said, “My lord, O king, here is the woman, and here is her son whom Elisha
restored to life.” 6a And when the king asked the woman, she told him. *How
perfect is Your timing and Providence, O Great Jehovah! At testimony time,
You bring on the subject of the testimony!

 Though not to as great an extent as that of Jesus in multiplying food -
yet what Elisha did in his day was indeed an outstanding sign. At least to
his servant - it must have been a noteworthy miracle!

 For me, the miracle that took place after his his death, is one of his
most remarkable.

 Enemies had overtaken the land following his death. A man of his land had
died, and was about to be buried by friends, when a band of enemy appeared.
In desperation, the burial group opened the tomb of Elisha and threw the
dead body in. As soon as it hit the bones of Elisha, he came to life, and
started to flee after the burial team! Think what *they* must have thought!

 *Our chapter of Proverbs for the day: 20:5 (20) PROVERBS OF SOLOMON. “The
purpose in a man’s heart is like deep water, but a man of understanding
will draw it out.”* Do you deeply desire to hear the wisdom and counsel of
one, yet he seemingly withholds it? Pray - and God will grant you wisdom
how to draw forth from such a man!