2 Samuel 3-5 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 09:12:14 PDT 2012

October 2, 2012

 *MAY 30 - 2 SAMUEL 3-5 - DAVID: ANOINTED KING OF ISRAEL*

 *1. 3:1 (3:1-5, ESV) DAVID: HIS INCREASE AND SAUL’S DECREASE. “There was a
long war between the house of Saul and the house of David. And David grew
stronger and stronger, while the house of Saul became weaker and weaker.” *This
reminds us of Jesus and John the Baptist, for this is a Kingdom principle.
We acknowledge that You Father, have established this principle, to which
we submit. *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 3:9-10 (3:6-39) DAVID: RECEIVES ISRAEL THROUGH ABNER. “God do so to
Abner and more also, if I do not accomplish for David what the LORD has
sworn to him, 10 to transfer the kingdom from the house of Saul and set up
the throne of David over Israel and over Judah, from Dan to Beersheba.” *Abner
was providentially guided to translate the Kingdom of Saul over to David.
We too commit ourselves to *Your* purposes, Father! *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 4:12 (4) DAVID: AVENGES MURDER OF ISHBOSHETH. “And David commanded his
young men, and they killed them and cut off their hands and feet and hanged
them beside the pool at Hebron. But they took the head of Ish-bosheth and
buried it in the tomb of Abner at Hebron.” *Again Father, we bless You for
David Your servant, a man after Your own heart. No wonder You supplied all
his needs! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 5:3 (5:1-5) DAVID: KINGDOM UNITED UNDER HIM. **“So all the elders of
Israel came to the king at Hebron, and King David made a covenant with them
at Hebron before the LORD, and they anointed David king over Israel.” *The
elders of Israel consummated what Abner had begun, saying the same words. O
forgive us Father, that we so often forget Your prophetic word, and fail to
expedite it when we have the opportunity. This Israeli Eldership was not a
City, but a national Eldership, though they met at Hebron for this purpose.
*Our :daily :bread give us this day.*

 *5. 5:9-10 (5:6-16) DAVID: MAKES JERUSALEM HIS CAPITAL. **“And David lived
in the stronghold and called it the city of David. And David built the city
all around from the Millo inward. **10** **And David became greater and
greater, for the LORD, the God of hosts, was with him.” *David wisely
followed Your leading Father, in making Jerusalem of Benjamin his capital
and Your city. O strengthen us when we are tempted, that we do the
*right*thing, and yield not to temptation.
*And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 5:19 (5:17-21) DAVID: SUPERNATURALLY DEFEATS THE PHILISTINES. **And
David inquired of the LORD, “Shall I go up against the Philistines? Will
you give them into my hand?” And the LORD said to David, “Go up, for I will
certainly give the Philistines into your hand.” *How carefully David sought
Your face through Urim Father, before action! This is further proof that he
was a man after Your own heart! *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 5:22-23 (5:22-25) DAVID: AGAIN SUPERNATURALLY DEFEATS THE PHILISTINES!
**And the Philistines came up yet again and spread out in the Valley of
Rephaim. **23 **And when David inquired of the LORD, he said, “You shall
not go up; go around to their rear, and come against them opposite the
balsam trees.” *David took not the previous victory for granted, but sought
You afresh for a new need and occasion, Father! How we need to profit from
this example of David! *But deliver us from the evil **one!*

 *NOTE**: 3:17-18 (3:6-39) **And Abner conferred with the elders of Israel,
saying, “For some time past you have been seeking David as king over you. **18
**Now then bring it about, for the LORD has promised David, saying, ‘By the
hand of my servant David I will save my people Israel from the hand of the
Philistines, and from the hand of all their enemies.’” *What a loss to
David - losing such a man as Abner through Joab!

 It is important that we learn not just to *know* the content of Scripture
- but that we *do* what we learn! Jesus at the conclusion of the Sermon on
the Mount carefully instructed disciples of all time - that it is he who
hears and *does* the Word of God - who is the man who builds his house upon
a rock, safe from all storms!

 A missionary in Africa had the task of translating the Bible into a native
language. He could find no equivalent word for “faith” for 6 months.
Finally he felt the Lord leading him to translate faith by “Hearing and
Doing”. The natives agreed. This lines up with Jesus’ words in the Sermon
on the Mount: It is *not* what we know that counts: it’s what we *do* with
what we know that gains merit with God!

 David was a man *absolutely committed* to knowing the will of God, and
then following up by *doing* it. This is one important principle that makes
us like David - people after God’s own heart!

 Joab murdered two righteous men more honorable than himself: Abner and
Amasa. David did not during his lifetime have the proper circumstances to
discipline his nephew Joab for these murders. But just prior to his death,
he commissioned his son Solomon to follow through on this judgment, among
several others.

 God Himself looked on Jerusalem as His city. David caught His mind for the
significance of this, and made Jerusalem his capital. However, according to
Galatians and Revelation, the earthly Jerusalem did not “cut the mustard”.
It will be the “Heavenly Jerusalem” descending from heaven above at the end
of the Millennium, that will fulfill all the thinking and will of God.

 And again - notice the faithfulness of David in habitually seeking God
through Urim & Thummim to receive His guidance upon all his ventures. See
Proverbs 6:20-22 for the spiritual counterpart of Urim for NT saints: three
things come to us as we walk in Hudson Taylor’s Spiritual Secret of Romans
6 and John 15:1-16; and follow this up by meditating on the Word!
*Then*the Living Word (R
*E*ma) in our heart becomes for us the 3-fold Urim - and like David we will
not miss the guidance of the Lord! George Muller consistently walked this
path. And God, being no respecter of persons - will do *the same* for you
and me!

 To make it easier for us to meditate on NT Scripture as Joshua did on the
Torah - we will find the *“Outlined Interlinear New Testament” *by Ivan
Panin - will greatly help us in this endeavor - and especially when the
E-Book edition is released. We can now have it in Book form through *<
www.btjohnsonpublishing.com>. *Jim Watt

 *Our Psalm for the day: 150:1-2 LET EVERYTHING PRAISE THE LORD! “Praise
the LORD! Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty
heavens! 2 Praise
him for his mighty deeds; praise him according to his excellent greatness!”
**Universal praise*: *You* are abundantly worthy of this, O Great JEHOVAH
Father! We gladly and joyfully join the universal throng in *Hallowing Your
:Name!*