2 Samuel 1-2

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 09:52:52 PDT 2012

October 1, 2012

 *MAY 29 - 2 SAMUEL 1-2 - DAVID: ANOINTED KING OF JUDAH*

 *1. 1:4 (1:1-10, ESV) DAVID: RECEIVES DETAILS OF SAUL’S DEATH. And David
said to him, “How did it go? Tell me.” And he answered, “The people fled
from the battle, and also many of the people have fallen and are dead, and
Saul and his son Jonathan are also dead.” *Here is irony: Saul spared an
Amalekite king, and now an Amalekite slays him: this David would not have
done. O teach us Your ways Father, and your principles. *Hallowed be your
:name.*

 *2. 1:12 (1:11-16) DAVID: MOURNS AND AVENGES SAUL’S DEATH. “And they
mourned and wept and fasted until evening for Saul and for Jonathan his son
and for the people of the LORD and for the house of Israel, because they
had fallen by the sword.” *Are we jealous for Your Name, Righteousness,
Ways and Law, Father? David was, as a man after Your own heart! He took
vengeance upon these who broke your law. *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 1:17, 23 (1:17-27) DAVID: LAMENTS OVER SAUL AND JONATHAN. “And David
lamented with this lamentation over Saul and Jonathan his son. 23 Saul and
Jonathan, beloved and lovely! In life and in death they were not divided;
they were swifter than eagles; they were stronger than lions.” *David
magnified the good and the beginning in Saul, not the evil or his ending.
What a magnanimous spirit! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 2:1 (2:1-4) DAVID: ANOINTED KING OVER JUDAH AT HEBRON. “And after this
David inquired of the LORD, ‘Shall I go up into any of the cities of
Judah?’ And the LORD said to him, ‘Go up.’ David said, ‘To which shall I go
up?’ And he said, ‘To Hebron.’” *It is good to seek You Father, according
to Your appointed ways. David did go, and received infallible guidance
through Urim. O forgive us that we are not as careful as Your servant David
in this respect! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 2:5 (2:5-7) DAVID: BLESSES MEN OF JABESH-GILEAD FOR SAUL’S BURIAL. David
sent messengers to the men of Jabesh-gilead and said to them, “May you be
blessed by the LORD, because you showed this loyalty to Saul your lord and
buried him.” *Father, You do take notice of kindnesses we do for Your
servants, even as this through David. We sometimes forget You are the One
Who sees the sparrow fall. O strengthen us that we are not tempted to
forget You as the One Who cares! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also
have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 2:10-11 (2:8-11) DAVID: FIRST DIVISION IN HIS KINGDOM. “Ish-bosheth,
Saul’s son, was forty years old when he began to reign over Israel, and he
reigned two years. But the house of Judah followed David. 11 And the time
that David was king in Hebron over the house of Judah was seven years and
six months.” *Even now the house of Saul was decreasing, while the house of
David increased. You watch over Your own, Father! *And bring us not into
temptation!*

 *7. 2:17 (2:12-32) DAVID: CIVIL STRIFE. “And the battle was very fierce
that day. And Abner and the men of Israel were beaten before the servants
of David.” *When You have given a prophetic Word, Father, as You did over
David; then *You watch over **that** Word* to perform it! You are
Sovereign! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 2:4**a (2:1-4) DAVID: ANOINTED KING OVER JUDAH. “And the men of
Judah came, and there they anointed David king over the house of Judah.” *This
was the beginning of the promised blessings of the LORD to come upon David.

 And what lessons from the above have you *easily* perceived for your own
benefit? For remember that Jesus said, “Man shall not live by bread alone,
but by *every* word (R*E*ma) that proceeds out of the mouth of God.” And
this He spoke for the *entire* Old Testament, our 39 books! - for the New
Testament had not yet been written. And if Jesus gave full credence to the
entire Old Testament including Genesis 1 and Creation, as well as the Flood
and Jonah in the belly of the whale - *how much more* is the New Testament
the inspired Word of God as confirmed by Paul in 1 Corinthians 14:37 and
Peter in 2 Peter 1:21?

 It is true that for us in New Testament times, God wants us to see the Old
Testament as “Types and Shadows” for the New Testament Church. The Book of
Galatians and Acts 15 *frees* NT believers from falling into the trap of
Old Testament “legalism”. This can also apply to NT Jews if they will hear
it!

 In a sermon we heard today (2012-09-30), we learned again how severely
Jesus came down upon the Pharisees of His day, and their ungodly hypocrisy.
We need to learn clearly why Jesus came down upon them so severely. For -
Jesus has come unto us as a conquering warrior *twice* according to the
latter part of Psalm 24. He came as conquering warrior His first time to
demolish sin through His 5-fold sacrifice as recorded in Leviticus 1-7: a
suffering servant as a holocaust, a whole burnt offering! Our sin offering
to undo Adam’s sin; A trespass offering to provide forgiveness for our
individual sins; a peace offering to make reconciliation for us with God;
and a grain-offering to provide *multiplication* on our behalf because He
as a grain of wheat fell into the ground at Calvary and died (John 12).

 *But* - He will return also as a Conquering Warrior - but this time to
work vengeance on sinners - who refused to accept His coming offering of
our sins completely dealt with!

 And for us in the interval between His two successful warlike comings - we
can profit from such passages as above. The example of David on behalf of
Saul is *most commendable* for you and me! Would we have penned such a
Psalm of tribute to Saul under like circumstances? David did *not* throw
the baby out with the bath-water! Saul at the beginning of his reign
started out commendably. It was for *this* time that David remembered and
commended him with Jonathan. And Saul’s later life? Bath-water to be
forgotten and thrown out. *This* is one lesson at least that we could glean
from the above, and by God’s grace walk successfully in! Jim Watt

 *Our Psalm for the day: 149:3-4 SING TO THE LORD A NEW SONG! “Let them
praise his name with dancing, making melody to him with tambourine and
lyre! 4 For the LORD takes pleasure in his people; he adorns the humble
with salvation.” *And still Israel praises You in the dance, Father! Not
all recognize Your Son Jesus (Yeshua) as Messiah, but the nation will yet
be won in a day. The true olive branch will yet be grafted back into the
root, with Gentiles, as *one* people! *Hallowed be your :name!*