James 3 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 13:10:49 PDT 2012

September 6, 2012

 *MAY 11 - JAMES 3 - WISDOM IN THE TONGUE*

 *1. 3:1-2a TEACHERS: STAND IN GREATER JEOPARDY. “Be not many teachers, my
brethren, knowing that we shall receive greater condemnation. 2a For in
many things we all stumble”*

*(NNT). *Why do so many of us lust after leadership and teaching positions,
Father? Don’t we realize the solemn and sober responsibility entailed? Only
if we would sin against You by refusing, should we become teachers (spoken
by Charles Haddon Spurgeon). *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 3:2b (3:2b-6) THE TONGUE: GOVERNOR OF THE BODY. “If any stumbles not
in word the same is a perfect men, able to bridle the whole :body also.” *Help
us Father, to see our tongue as *You* see it: controlled under and in You
in Christ and so we become *mature*! O may we not miss this significant
insight! *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 3:7-8 THE TONGUE: UNTAMEABLE. “For every kind of beasts and birds, of
things creeping, and in the sea, is tamed, and has been tamed by human
nature: 8 but the tongue can no man tame: a restless evil, full of deadly
poison.” *Press this *deeper* upon our hearts, Father. *Do not let us off*,
nor *let us miss* the seriousness of this truth. Help us fulfill a proper
response, with gladness! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 3:10 (3:9-12) THE TONGUE: ITS INCONSISTENCY. “Out of the same mouth
comes forth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be
thus.” *We curse our fellow man who is made in Your Image, Father. We *
cannot* love You, our unseen God, if we hate our seen brother (1 John
4:20). *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 3:13 WISDOM: ITS PROOF IN GOOD WORDS. “Who is wise and understanding
among you? let him show by his good :conduct his :works in meekness of
wisdom.” *Good words equal good works; for where good words out of a
faithful heart flow forth, then will also flow forth good works: it is as
certain as morning follows evening. *And forgive us our :debts, as we
forgive our :debtors!*

 *6. 3:14-16 WISDOM FROM BENEATH. “But if you have bitter jealousy and
faction in your :heart, glory not and lie not against the truth. 15 This is
not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, sensual,
demonic. 14 For where jealousy is and faction, there is confusion and every
vile deed.” *Words and works flow forth from the heart: their nature is
determined by the state of the heart. An evil heart consistently produces
the above, and the above *always* reflects an evil heart! *And bring us not
into temptation!*

 *7. 3:17-18 WISDOM FROM ABOVE. “But the wisdom from above is first pure,
then peaceable, gentle, easily entreated, full of mercy and good fruits,
without variance, and without hypocrisy. 18 And the fruit of righteousness
is sown in peace for them that make peace.” *Ah, here is the heart of David
reflected! This is the heart, faith and works that we desire, Father! * But
deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 3:4 (3:2b-6) THE TONGUE: ANALOGY OF SHIP’S RUDDER. **“Lo, the
ships also, though they are so great and are driven by rough winds, are
turned about by a very small rudder, where the impulse of the steersman
wills.” *What a marvelous analogy! What *power* this gives to the tongue!
Father, *set a watch* before our our mouths; *keep* the door of our lips
(Psalm 141:3).

 This morning (2012-09-06) my devotions included part of the book of
Galatians - as a follow-up on the book of James last week.

 A casual reading of these two books look like a contradiction.
Justification by faith apart from works in Galatians, seems to contradict
the book of James.

 But Paul tells us to *rightly divide* the word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15).
If *ever* there was an area requiring this careful division - it is here
between the book of James and Galatians.

 A careful reading of James shows that he is *not* talking of the same type
of works that Paul is considering in Galatians. James is talking *not* of
the “law (Torah) of works” - but of the works demonstrating faith such as
exemplified in the life of Abraham and of Rahab. Abraham demonstrated his
work of offering up Isaac *before* the Giving of the law of works through
Moses. And Rahab as a Gentile had no background in the Galatian concept.

 But Paul in Galatians is speaking of a different type or kind of “works”.
The works of law (Torah) given by Moses, consisted of 613 commandments,
which Israel sought to keep right up to the days of Jesus. Their hope was
based on their outward keeping of this law. There is *no* true
justification possible this way. This law (Torah) was but a schoolmaster
keeping Israel in place *until* Jesus and “the law of the Spirit of life in
Christ Jesus” came into being through the Cross, Resurrection, Ascension
and Giving of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost!

 If we do not discern and distinguish between these 3 types of law - it is
almost impossible to become a mature, overcoming believer!

 Luther did not make this distinction - and perhaps because of this failure
- led him to become a rabid Anti-Semitic.

 I believe that the above distinction is of paramount importance. To
clearly discern this distinction is not easy. Peter and Barnabas had
difficulty discerning it. The Judaizers never did discern it. Some among
the Messianic Jewish believers are missing this distinction. And most of
the “wannabe” Gentiles in Messianic Jewish congregations miss it.

 The Return of our Lord Jesus is close at hand. His Coming will resolve
this confusion. But before He comes - it *is* possible to see the clarity
of thinking by James and Paul concerning this problem. Paul had 3 years of
direct revelation in Arabia following his conversion - from the Lord Jesus
- concerning the 27 NT mysteries - especially that of the “One New Man”. It
was *this* - the greatest mystery of all - that Paul so deftly and clearly
made known to the church of the uncircumcision among the Gentiles. Soon -
this part of the church of the “One New Man” superseded numerically the
Jewish part. Unfortunately - the Gentile believers forgot to meditate over
Romans 11 - and act upon it. They became chief persecutors of the Jewish
part of the church! Replacement Theology was an extremely wrong conclusion
many of them came to!

 If ever any part of my comments needs to be meditated over - understood -
and acted upon - *this* word of clarification concerning “works” as
described by James and Paul - needs to be!

 *Our Psalm for the day: 131:1 I HAVE CALMED AND QUIETED MY SOUL. “O LORD,
my heart is not lifted up; my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy
myself with things too great and too marvelous for me.” **This* was the
heart of David Father, the heart as of a trusting child. We marvel at the
simplicity of it! We hallow Your Name for hiding this from the wise and
prudent, and for revealing it unto babes (Matthew 11:25).