Judges 17-21 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 09:15:31 PDT 2012

September 1, 2012

  *MAY 7 - JUDGES 17-21 - EPILOGUE: ILLUSTRATION*

 *1. 17:6 - (17:1-6) EPHRAIM: LAWLESSNESS PRODUCES IDOLATRY. “In those days
there was no king in Israel. Everyone did was right in his own eyes” (ESV).
*This is a terrible commentary upon a people who depart from You Father,
and Your Word! We do culpable things, such as making images for idols. This
is a sign of decadence, not of being religious. *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 17:12-13 (17:7-13) LEVITE: APOSTASY PERMITS IDOLATRY. “And Micah
ordained the Levite, and the young man became his priest, and was in the
house of Micah. 13 Then Micah said, ‘Now I know that the LORD will prosper
me, because I have a Levite as priest.” *How foolish and deceived! Could
this Ephraimite and this Levite have known Your way, Father? Certainly -
ignorance is no excuse. *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 18:1 (18:1-10) DAN: LAWLESSNESS TEMPTS TO IDOLATRY. “In those days
there was no king in Israel. And in those days the tribe of the people of
Dan was seeking for itself an inheritance to dwell in, for until then no
inheritance among the tribes of Israel had fallen to them.” *The Levite was
really working Babylonish witchcraft for Dan! But we too pervert Your right
ways Father, and through human tradition make void Your Word! *Your :will
be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 18:20 (18:11-26) EPHRAIMITE: GODS STOLEN BY DAN. “And the priest’s
heart was glad. He took the ephod and the household gods and the carved
image and went along with the people.”* Father, like Jonathan the priest,
we too have prior idolatrous commitments that we have reneged on, because
of better opportunities. * Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 18:30 (18:27-31) DAN: WORKS VIOLENCE AND IDOLATRY. “And the people of
Dan set up the carved image for themselves, and Jonathan the son of
Gershom, son of Moses, and his sons were priests to the tribe of the
Danites until the day of the captivity of the land.” *This is a significant
statement. Through Jeroboam’s calf in Dan, and through this previous
idolatry that lasted till captivity, Dan’s name does not appear with the
144,000 (REV 12:4-9). But his stone (beryl) *is* in the foundation of the
New Jerusalem (REV 21:19-20). *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have
forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 19:29 (19) GIBEAH: DEEP IMMORALITY REVEALED BY CONCUBINE. “And when he
entered his house, he took a knife, and taking hold of his concubine he
divided her, limb by limb, into twelve pieces, and sent her throughout all
the territory of Israel.” *At last Father, You were able to get hold of the
conscience of Israel, even in her backsliding. But what a horrible act it
took to awaken her conscience! O may we be more open to righteousness
today, lest we too require such an awakening! *And bring us not into
temptation!*

 *7. 21:6 (20-21) BENJAMIN: JUDGED AND SAVED. “And the people of Israel had
compassion for Benjamin their brother and said, ‘One tribe is cut off from
Israel this day.’” *It took *all twelve* tribes for God’s purposes to be
accomplished through Israel. It takes *twelve or more* local churches in a
city for God’s purposes to be accomplished in the city body of Christ.
Hear, O Israel! Hear, O Church! Hear, our Father! *But deliver us from the
evil one!*

 *NOTE: 21:15, 17 (20-21) BENJAMIN: BROUGHT ISRAEL TO REPENTANCE. “And the
people had compassion on Benjamin because the LORD had made a breach in the
tribes of Israel. 17 And they said, ‘There must be an inheritance for the
survivors of Benjamin, that a tribe not be blotted out from Israel.’” *We
honor this principle, Father!* *

 *Two unusual records appear in this section: concerning the tribe of Dan -
and the tribe of Benjamin! - with many valuable lessons from these two
Types and Shadows.*

 *And what has God done on our behalf in the light of the extreme needs of
both them and us? Five powerful, Sovereign acts, all through our Lord Jesus
Christ! *

 *When we daily walk through the 7 pieces of furniture in the Tabernacle of
Moses, the first we come to is the Brazen Altar in the Outer Court. It is
most helpful when we consider the 5 types of sacrifice recorded in
Leviticus 1-7.*

 *The first is the Whole Burnt Offering, or Holocaust. Jesus fulfilled this
according to Hebrews 10:1-18. It was not the whole burnt offering of the
Old Testament that pleased the Father - but the voluntary offering of His
Only Begotten Son as a Holocaust - that met the full approval of God! What
God spared Abraham from performing with Isaac - He spared not Himself with
Jesus. Jesus as the Eternal Word (LOgos) took upon Himself a servant’s
body, and as Son of Man offered Himself on Calvary as a Whole Burnt
Offering, as a perfect servant to God on behalf of all mankind! Then in
Romans 12:1-2 - the Eternal Spirit through the apostle Paul encourages
usto join our Savior, by offering our bodies as a Holocaust, a Whole
Burnt
Offering - as Our Utmost for His Highest!*

 *The second is the Sin Offering, which Jesus also performed on Calvary. I
daily sing, “I feed on the merits of Calvary - through You, Christ Jesus my
Lord!” God gave me these words in the Spirit with the tune - very early one
morning some decades ago. To these words I add - “I feed on the LOgos, and
the ‘REma of Calvary - and I drink of the Spirit of Calvary - through You,
Christ Jesus my Lord!” See - Adam’s race of which we are a part, is
notresponsible for his sin in Eden, for the sons are not guilty for
the sins
of the father, nor the father for the sins of the sons! God does not hold
us responsible for Adam’s sin, though we bear the penalty for his sin, by
being born dead in trespasses and sins. So - Jesus - the Eternal Son of God
- at Calvary - died and paid the penalty for Adam’s sin. And whoever
understands this - believes it - and receives Jesus as our Substitute
and Atonement
for Adam’s sin, is immediately free from the consequence of Adam’s sin, and
is born from above by the eternal Word of God and the Spirit of God! Romans
5 spells this out in a wonderful way.*

 *The third is the “trespass offering”. This covers and atones for the sins
and trespasses that you and I commit! At Calvary Jesus provided Atonement
for this also! No wonder we feed on the merits of Calvary! Jesus paid it all!
All to Him I owe. Sin had left a crimson stain; He washed it white as snow!
No wonder it pays us early every morning to feed on the merits of Calvary,
including Him as an offering for our personal trespasses. See the Lord’s
prayer on our behalf in Matthew 6:5-15 - Here He teaches us as disciples to
pray: And forgive us our :debts - As we have forgiven our :debtors! The
coming “Outlined Interlinear New Testament” based on God’s Bible Numerics,
discovered by Ivan Panin, with his two NT texts - will greatly aid in this!*

 *The fourth is the “Peace Offering”. Jesus fulfilled this also at Calvary!
It is on our behalf included in the merits of Calvary - upon which we can
daily feed! It produces Reconciliation with God based on the Propitiatory
Sacrifice in this Peace Offering, 1 John 4:10.*

 *The fifth is the “Grain Offering”. Jesus said in John 12:24 (12:20-36),
that it was this offering that produced His Multiplication into every
member of the “One New Man”! For the Joy that was set before Him, He
endured the Cross (Calvary), suffering the shame, knowing the
multiplication that awaited Him, Isaiah 53:11 (53:10-12). See also Hebrews
12:2 (12:1-13).*

 *These 5 offerings of Himself at Calvary, are sufficient for us to
meditatedaily upon as we progress from the Brazen Altar of the
Tabernacle unto the
Mercy Seat, where we again meditate like George Muller and George
Whitefield upon the amazing work of Jesus on our behalf (Psalm 19:14). We
would have been a lost race individually and corporately had not Jesus
fulfilled the desire of His Father to come and lay down His life a
ransomon our behalf. My
Utmost for His Highest is a proper response on our part for such a 5-fold
offering of love! We can add, “Blessed is He who is coming in the Name of
Jehovah!*

 *I daily take this opportunity to thank God who so loved us that He
sentHis only begotten Son to die for us - and to Jesus - who said to
His Father
in His pre-incarnate state - “Prepare for me a body Father, and I will go
as Son of Man and take the place of Adam for punishment for his sin - and
make Reconciliation for all of the human race who will hear and respond!
Thank You Father, and thanks Lord Jesus, as we daily feed on the 5-fold
merits of Calvary!*

 *Our Psalm for the day: 127:3 UNLESS THE LORD BUILDS THE HOUSE! “Behold,
children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward.” *And
we can have spiritual sons as we receive your ‘R*E*ma words, Father. They
can be begotten by Your incorruptible seed. You can teach us through night
visions in our dreams. We can be fruitful in You. *Hallowed be your :name!*