Judges 4-5 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 10:00:50 PDT 2012

August 28, 2012

 *MAY 3 - JUDGES 4-5 - DEBORAH, BARAK AND CANAANITES*

 *1. 4:1-2a (4:1-3) JABIN OF CANAAN: INSTRUMENT OF FOURTH SERVITUDE. “And
the people of Israel did what was evil in the sight of the LORD after Ehud
died. 2 And the LORD sold them into the hand of Jabin king of Canaan”
(ESV). *Shamgar must have been a co-judge with Ehud. After 80 years of rest
through Ehud, then Israel sinned, was judged and repented. The cycle seems
unending. Without You, we’d do the same, Father. *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 4:4-5b (4:4-5) DEBORAH: PROPHETESS AND JUDGE. “Now Deborah (Bee,
Eloquent), a prophetess, the wife of Lappidoth, was judging Israel at that
time. 5 And the people of Israel came up to her for judgment.” *And in Your
mercy Father, You had Deborah judge Your people even in the days of their
apostasy! Later on, Samuel judged in the same area. *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 4:6a, 7 (4:6-9) DEBORAH SENDS FOR BARAK. “She sent and summoned Barak
the son of Abinoam from Kedesh-naphtali and said to him, ‘Has not the LORD,
the God of Israel, commanded you? 7 And I will draw out Sisera, the general
of Jabin’s army, to meet you by the river Kishon with his chariots and his
troops, and I will give him into your hand.’” *Here is Your provision for
Israel Father, in the time of their great need! *Your :will be done, As in
heaven, so on earth!*

 *4. 4:10 (4:10-13) MOBILIZATION OF ARMIES. “And Barak called out Zebulun
and Naphtali to Kedesh. And 10,000 men went up at his heels, and Deborah
went up with him.” *You Father, would have delivered the Canaanites into
Barak’s hand without Deborah; but You honored his request. And what a
little army against the mighty Canaanites! But *You* can always give us
victory against overwhelming odds! * **Our :daily :bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 4:14 (4:14-16) JEHOVAH DEFEATS CANAANITES THROUGH BARAK! And Deborah
said to Barak, “Up! For this is the day in which the LORD has given Sisera
into your hand. Does not the LORD go out before you?” So Barak went down
from Mount Tabor with 10,000 men following him.” *Father, You fought
against Sisera through Barak! How Awesome! There is *nothing* too difficult
for You!

*And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors!*

 *6. 4:22 (4:17-23) JAEL SLAYS SISERA. And behold, as Barak was pursuing
Sisera, Jael went out to meet him and said to him, “Come, and I will show
you the man whom you are seeking.” So he went in to here tent, and there
lay Sisera dead, with the tent peg in his temple. *How accurately Your word
through Deborah was fulfilled, Father! You speak it, and it is *done*! You
call the things that are not, as though they were! *And bring us not into
temptation!*

 *7. 5:1-2 (5) SONG OF DEBORAH AND BARAK. Then sang Deborah and Barak the
son of Abinoam on that day: 2 “That the leaders took the lead in Israel,
that the people offered themselves willingly, bless the LORD!” *Your people
are willing Father, in the day of Your power! And in their victory over
Your enemies, what a song of jubilation! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: **5:31 (5) A FITTING CONCLUSION. “So may all your enemies perish,
O LORD! But your friends be like the sun as he rises in his might.” And the
land had rest for forty years. *What a fitting conclusion to the great
exploit you worked through Your people, Father!

 Deborah has been an encouragement to many a woman. But note - though she
was a prophetess and a judge, yet she yielded to the request of Barak to go
with him to battle.

 Mary Slessor of Calabar and Sophie Muller of “New Tribes Mission,” both
took similar positions. Though they ministered apostolically in founding
large churches - yet they submitted to the authority of men in ordaining
elders over them.

 This takes great humility and obedience to the Word - but - what man can
show by example a similar type of obedience to the Lord and His Word?

 *Great* shall be their reward in heaven - eclipsing that of many a man!

 And our Psalm for the day! *123:1 OUR EYES LOOK TO THE LORD OUR GOD! “To
you I lift up my eyes, O you who are enthroned in the heavens.” *In time of
trouble and confusion, we give thanks that we can look unto *You*, Father! *
You* give assurance; *You* give direction; *You* give strength and grace; *
You* are all we need! *Hallowed be your :name!*