Romans - 7-fold Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 13:46:47 PDT 2012

July 17, 2012

 *WEEK 26 - JUN 24-30 - ROMANS - JUSTIFICATION BY FAITH*

 *JUN 24. 1:16-17 (1:1-17) INTRODUCTION TO JUSTIFICATION. “For I am not
ashamed of the gospel: for it is God's power unto salvation to every
:believer: to Jew first, also to Greek. 17 For herein is being revealed
God's righteousness from faith unto faith: as it is written, But the
righteous man shall live by faith” (NNT). *Father, we glory in the Living
Gospel: Jesus! In Him righteousness is *realized*! *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *JUN 25. 3:28 (1:18-4:25) LAW SHUTS UP TO JUSTIFICATION. “For we reckon a
man is justified by faith apart from works of law.” *Father, You have
purposed and ordained that *only* through the faith of Jesus shall any man
be justified. There is salvation in *no other name!* We therefore
*justify*You, Father, by believing this, and declare faith in Him and
His Finished
Work, as the *only* way. *Your :kingdom come.*

 *JUN 26. 5:17 (5:1-21) ATONEMENT AND GRACE: BASIS OF JUSTIFICATION. “For
if, by the trespass of the one, :death reigned through the one; much rather
shall they that receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of
:righteousness reign in life through the one, Jesus Christ.” *In Messiah
You have given us so much, Father! The reign of death, You have *overturned*!
*Abundance* of grace, You have *given*. *Reigning in righteousness*, You
have made a *reality*!* Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *JUN 27. 8:10 (6-8) HOLY SPIRIT: PROMISE OF JUSTIFICATION. “And if Christ
is in you, the body is indeed dead because of sin; but the spirit is life
because of righteousness.” *Father, we begin dimly to perceive Your great
wisdom, plan and purpose in the Gospel. It contains Your promise of the
Holy Spirit through Messiah: that is, the empowerment of justification. *Our
:daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *JUN 28. 11:25 (9-11) RELATIONSHIP OF ISRAEL AND GENTILES TO
JUSTIFICATION.“For I would not, brethren, have you ignorant of this
:mystery, lest you be
wise in your own conceits, that a hardening in part has befallen :Israel,
till what time the fullness of the nations be come in: 26 and so all Israel
shall be saved!” *Father, through this we perceive the *depth* of the
riches of Your wisdom and knowledge: temporary excising of Israel, that we
Gentiles might come in: then - *One New Man in Messiah*! * And forgive us
our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *JUN 29. 12:18 (12:1-16:23) PRACTICAL OUTWORKING OF JUSTIFICATION. “If
possible, as much as in you is, be at peace with all men.” *Father, we
thank You for the wisdom of the Spirit through Paul. We thank You that he
understood the frailty of the flesh. We thank You Father, that this truth
is one of the practical outworkings of justification. * And bring us not
into temptation.*

 *JUN 30. 16:25, 27 (16:25-27) GLORY TO GOD FOR JUSTIFICATION. “Now to the
one able to establish you according to my :gospel and the preaching of
Jesus Christ, according to revelation of the mystery kept silent through
the times of ages ... 27 to the only wise God, through Jesus Christ, to
whom the glory unto the ages. Amen.” *Father, we *glorify* You for Your
plan of salvation through *justification by grace through faith*! Your
wisdom, love and grace humble our hearts. *But deliver us from the evil one.
*

 *NOTE*: Perhaps more books and commentaries have been written on Romans
than any other book of the Bible, and rightly so! For it is the basis and
foundation for all Christian truth. A right understanding of this book puts
us in good stead!

 Romans is the gospel to the Gentiles, as Hebrews is gospel to the Jews.
Both letters contain the “Foundation Truths” laid in Hebrews 6:1-2. The
whole epistle of the Romans is truly an exposition of these 6 truths.

 Many preachers have made this their chief expository book. Some have even
preached through it up to 5 times. Ern Baxter is but one of dozens and
scores of these. I served under him as his associate for 3 years from 1973
to 1976, and count it as a high privilege indeed. He was a prince of
preachers, a golden-tongued Chrysostom.

 He had preached through the entire Bible in an expository manner. He had a
personal library of 17,000 volumes, and his working library was 1500
volumes. These latter he had mastered.

 He taught himself Greek, and his various commentaries gave him a working
knowledge of Hebrew also. He had over 40 commentaries on the book of Romans
alone.

 I met him in 1944 briefly, but in October 1948 in Edmonton, Alberta at a
Latter Rain Conference, we became close friends. As a result of that
friendship I led with the help of an associate in providing for him a word
study on every major word of the Greek New Testament, some 4000 MS pages.
He literally carried a suitcase of these manuscripts around the world with
him.

 Bryn Jones of England carried this suitcase up to his hotel room for him
on one occasion and asked, ”What on earth do you have in this suitcase?
Gold?” “I'll show you when we get up to my room,” he replied.

 We all need to have this love for the Word of God. Anything we can do to
gain a more accurate understanding of the Bible - all the better! After
all, Jesus and His Word are one (John 1:1)! Ivan Panin mastered both Greek
and Hebrew in a 4 year period of time, so earnest was he in obtaining an
objective and accurate understanding of God's Word. At one time, every
young man preparing for the Presbyterian ministry was required to obtain a
working knowledge of Greek and Hebrew.

 Romans was “the book” of W.J. Ern Baxter. All his studies were like the
beam of a magnifying glass - they tended to focus down especially upon this
book. Donald Gray Barnhouse was minister for the Tenth Presbyterian Church
of Philadelphia, who also majored on Romans. This book is indeed a key that
will open a clear understanding to the rest of the Bible. To lack a clear
understanding of “Justification by Faith” is to miss God's key to His Word.
Martin Luther was transformed by this truth, and the “Reformation” starting
in 1517 had its roots in this revelation.

 What a marvelous gospel! What a complete presentation! The book of Romans
is unique in the library of holy writ. What a vacuum there would be should
this letter be missing from the Sacred Canon!

 Memory Verse: 1:16-17 - *“For I am not ashamed of the gospel: for it is