2 John - Interlinear

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 13:10:13 PDT 2012

June 23, 2012

 *2 JOHN SUMMARY: OBEDIENCE TO TRUTH BRINGS REWARDS*

 1. 1:1-3 LOVE'S LOYALTY TO TRUTH

*The elder to elect Kyria and her :children,* *whom I love in truth;*

Ho presBUte-ros e-klekT*E* [1588] KuRIa kai tois TEKnois auT*E*S, hous
eG*O*a-gaP
*O* en a-l*e*THEIa;

*and not I only, but also all that know the truth;*

kai ouk eG*O* MOnos, alLA kai PANtes hoi eg-n*o*KOtes t*e*n aL*E*thei-an;

2* for the truth's sake which abides in us, and shall be with us unto the
age:*

diA t*e*n aL*E*thei-an t*e*n MEnou-san en h*e*MIN*, *kai meth' h*e*M*O*N
EStai eis ton ai*O*na [165]:

3* Grace, mercy, peace shall be with us, from God the Father,*

EStai meth' h*e*M*O*N CHAris [5485], Ele-os [1656], eiR*E*n*e* [1515], paRA
TheOU paTROS,

*and from Jesus Christ the Son of the Father, in truth and love.*

kai paRA I*e*SOU ChrisTOU tou huiOU tou paTROS, en a-l*e*THEIa kai aGAp*e*.

 2. 1:4-11 NATURE AND DEFENSE OF TRUTH

a. 1:4 SOURCE OF APOSTOLIC JOY: DISCIPLES WALKING IN TRUTH

*I rejoice greatly that I have found certain of your :children walking in
the truth,*

E-CHAr*e*n LIan [3029] HOti HEUr*e*-ka ek t*o*n TEKn*o*n sou
pe-ri-paTOUNtas en a-l*e*THEIa,

*even as we received commandment from the Father.*

kaTH*O*S en-toL*E*N [1785] eLAbo-men paRA tou paTROS.

 b. 1:5 COMMANDMENT OF CHRIST: LOVE ALL SINCERE DISCIPLES

*And now I request you, Kyria, not as though I wrote to you a new
commandment,*

kai nun e-r*o*T*O* se, KuRIa, ouch h*o*s en-toL*E*N GRAph*o*n soi kaiN*E*N
[2537],

*but which we had from the beginning, that we love one another.*

alLA h*e*n EIcha-men ap' arCH*E*S [746], HIna a-gaP*O*men alL*E*lous.

 c. 1:6a * And this is :love, that we should walk after his :commandments.*

kai HAUt*e* esTIN h*e* aGAp*e*, Hina pe-ri-paT*O*men kaTA tas en-toLAS
auTOU.

 d. 1:6b A COMMANDMENT TO WALK IN

*This is the commandment, even as you heard from the beginning, *

HAUt*e* h*e* en-toL*E* es-tin, kaTH*O*S *e*KOUsa-te ap' arCH*E*S,

*that you should walk in it.*

HIna en auT*E* pe-ri-paT*E*te.

 e. 1:7a JOY FROM DISCIPLES: WHEN THEY TURN FROM ERROR

*For many deceivers are gone forth into the world:*

HOti polLOI PLAnoi [4108] eX*E*Lthan eis ton KOSmon:

*they that confess not Jesus Christ coming in the flesh.*

hoi m*e* ho-mo-loGOUNtes [3670] I*e*SOUN ChrisTON erCHOme-non en sarKI
[4561].

 f. 1:7b * This is the deceiver and the antichrist.*

HOU-TOS es-tin ho PLAnos kai ho anTIchris-tos [500].

 g. 1:8 REWARD OF THE SOUL-WINNER: WHEN CONVERTS PERSEVERE

*Look to yourselves, that you lose not what things we have wrought,*

BLEpe-te he-auTOUS, HIna m*e* a-poLEs*e*-te [622] ha *e*r-gaSAme-tha [2038],

*but that you receive a full reward.*

alLA misTHON [3408] PL*E*r*e* a-poLAb*e*-te.

 h. 1:9 TO REJECT GOD'S WORD - IS TO REJECT GOD

*Whoever goes onward and abides not in the teaching of the Christ, has not
:God:*

pas ho proAg*o*n kai m*e* MEn*o*n en t*e* di-daCH*E* [1322] tou ChrisTOU,
TheON ouk Echei:

*who abides in the teaching, the same has both the Father and the Son.*

ho MEn*o*n en t*e* di-daCH*E*, HOUtos kai ton paTEra kai ton huiON Echei.

 i. 1:10-11 RULE OF HOSPITALITY: NOT TO BE SHARED WITH THE FALSE

*If any comes unto you, and brings not this :teaching,*

ei tis ERche-tai pros huMAS, kai TAUt*e*n t*e*n di-daCH*E*N ou PHErei,

*receive him not into your house, and give him no greeting:*

m*e* lamBAne-te auTON eis oiKIan, kai CHAIrein [5463] auT*O* m*e* LEge-te:

11* for who gives him greeting partakes in his :evil :works.*

ho LEg*o*n gar auT*O* CHAIrein koi-n*o*NEI [2841] tois ERgois tois po-n*e*
ROIS.

 3. 1:12-13 FELLOWSHIP OF TRUTH

a. 1:12 JOY: THE FRUIT OF DETECTING DECEIVERS

*Having many things to write to you,*

PolLA Ech*o*n huMIN GRAphein,

*I would not with paper and ink: but hope to come unto you,*

ouk *e*-bouL*E*th*e*n diA CHARtou kai MEla-nos: alLA elPIz*o* geNESthai
pros HUmas,

*and speak face to face, that your :joy be made full.*

kai STOma [4750] pros STOma laL*E*sai, HIna h*e* chaRA huM*O*N pe-pl*e*-r*o*
MEn*e* [4137] *e*.

 b. 1:13 * The children of your :elect :sister salute you.*

AsPAzeTAI [782] se ta TEKna t*e*s a-delPH*E*S sou t*e*s e-klekT*E*S [1588] .

 *NOTE:* It appears that John is pretty strict about having fellowship with
those who depart from truth. We know that this has happened often in the
past 2000 years. In 1951 at Northern Baptist Theological Seminary of
Chicago, we had a guest speaker, Dr. Nels Ferre. He had a position with the
American Baptist Convention, and had departed into a very liberal,
modernistic position. Our Seminary under Dr. Charles W. Koller of Waco
Texas, was at the time the most conservative of all our denominational
seminaries.

 One of our doctoral students, Dr. William Niger Kerr, shared with a number
of us his view-point on our speaker of the morning. “That man would never
put his knees under our meal time table in our home,” he clearly stated.
Some of the listeners took exception to his strong position, and sought to
argue with him. “No,” he replied, “If we are disciples of Jesus and stand
with Him as seeing Him and His Word as one -- then according to 2 John, we
have no choice -- we must refuse hospitality to those who have by an act of
self-will departed from the Truth, and Jesus as the Truth.”

 I have been unable to forget the above clear and forthright statement of
conviction.

 Later one of my best friends departed from the clear mandate of Scripture,
and took up with the extreme liberal and modernistic view held by the the
majority of the United Church of Canada, my former denomination. As I out
of conviction resigned 4 positions with this denomination and departed from
it -- I felt I had to clearly confront my former friend who departed from
the Plumbline of the Word of God -- and reason with him concerning his
decision of compromise toward God and His Word.

 I have not heard from him since.

 Jesus did not seek to reason with people who couldn't meet His standards
of discipleship. He sorrowfully let them go! Remember the rich young ruler!

 So let us remember 2 John 10 & 11. John was called the Beloved disciple,
and the apostle of love. Yet he was the one, who led by the Holy Spirit
wrote these words. And let us also remember that according to Bible
Numerics as discovered by Dr. Ivan Panin, all 66 books of our Bible are
signally set forth as *God's word to man*, *not* merely man's word to man!
See 1 Corinthians 14:37 for Paul's confirmation to this, and Peter's double
confirmation in 2 Peter 1:21.

 *P.S. - ** My a**ss**ociate Jim Ray and I received a week ago Friday the
final “Outlined Interlinear NT” **Draft o**f 4 volumes. We are presently
proof-reading these, and as soon as returned and corrected, it will then
come out in printed form, plus E-Book. *

 *The “email address” for ordering will then be available for you. I will
immediately send this to each of you.*

 *Following this, I will edit and update an abbreviated Daily Devotional of
“Through the Bible in a Year”, which will then be followed by an expanded
full-page daily devotional of the same. I then hope to provide you with 18
natural Greek Word Studies series to **meditate** upon in the light of the
“Outlined Interlinear NT.” The Beatitudes and the Lord’s Prayer of Matthew
are the first of this series of 18.*

 *Much labor is involved in these three that will follow the “Outlined
Interlinear NT.” Your prayers will be much appreciated. - Jim Watt*