Hebrews 8:1-13 - Interlinear

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 07:48:21 PDT 2012

June 19, 2012

 *(From: HEBREWS #7 - 8:1-13)*

 G. 8:1-13 JESUS OUR HIGH PRIEST: HAS BROUGHT US A BETTER COVENANT

a. 8:1-2 SPHERE OF JESUS' PRIESTLY MINISTRY: THE HEAVENLIES

*Now in the things we are saying the chief point is:*

KePHAlai-on [2774] de ePI tois le-goMEnois:

*We have such a high priest, who sat down*

toiOUton Echo-men ar-chi-eREa [749], hos eKAthi-sen [2523]

*on the right of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens,*

en de-xiA tou THROnou [2362] t*e*s me-ga-l*o*SUn*e*s [3172] en tois
ou-raNOIS,

2* a minister of the holies, and of the true :tabernacle,*

t*o*n haGI*o*n [39] lei-tourGOS [3011], kai t*e*s sk*e*N*E*S [4633] t*e*s
a-l*e*-thiN*E*S [228],

*which the Lord pitched, not man.*

h*e*n Ep*e*-xen [4078] ho KUri-os, ouk ANthr*o*-pos.

 b. 8:3 SACRIFICES: PART OF ALL PRIESTLY SERVICES

*For every high priest is appointed to offer both gifts and sacrifices:*

pas gar ar-chi-eREUS eis to prosPHErein [4374] D*O*-RA te kai thuSIas
[2378]kaTHISta-tai
[2525]:

*whence it is is necessary that this one also have something to offer.*

HOthen a-nagKAIon [316] Echein ti kai TOUton ho pro-seNEGke [4374].

 c. 8:4-5 THE LAW: EXCLUDED JESUS FROM EARTHLY PRIESTHOOD

*Now if he were on earth, he would not be a priest at all,*

ei men oun *e*n ePI g*e*s, oud' an *e*n hi-eREUS,

*seeing there are those who offer the gifts according to law*

ONt*o*n t*o*n pros-pheRONt*o*n [4374] kaTA NOmon ta D*O*ra

5* (the which serve a copy and shadow of the heavenlies,*

(HOti-nes hu-poDEIGma-ti [5262] kai skiA [4639] laTREUou-sin [3000] t*o*n
e-pou-raNI*o*n [2032],

*even as Moses when about to complete the tabernacle is warned:*

kaTH*O*S ke-chr*e*MAtis-tai [5537] M*o*-uS*E*S MELl*o*n e-pi-teLEIN [2005] t
*e*n sk*e*N*E*N:

*for, See, says he, you make all things according to the pattern :shown you
in the mount).*

HOra, GAR, ph*e*-sin, poi*E*seis PANta kaTA ton TUpon [5179] ton
deichTHENta [1166] soi en t*o* Orei).

 d. 8:6 SUPERIOR COVENANT PRODUCES A SUPERIOR MINISTRY

*But now has he obtained a ministry the more superior,*

nun de di-a-pho-r*o*TEras [1313] TEtu-chen [5177] lei-tourGIas [3009],

*by so much as he is also mediator of a better covenant,*

HOs*o* kai KREITtoNOS [2909] es-tin di-aTH*E*k*e*s [1242] meSIt*e*s [3316],

*which has been enacted upon better promises.*

H*E*tis ePI KREITto-sin e-pag-geLIais [1860] ne-no-moTHEt*e*-tai [3549].

 e. 8:7 * For if that :first had been faultless, *

*then would no place have been sought for a second.*

ei gar h*e* PR*O*t*e* eKEIn*e* *e*n Amemp-tos [273], ouk an deuTEras
e-z*e*TEIto
[2212] TOpos [5117].

 f. 8:8-9 GOD: PROMISED ISRAEL A BETTER COVENANT

*For blaming them he says, Lo, days come, says the Lord,*

memPHOme-nos [3201] gar auTOUS LEgei, I-DOU, h*e*MErai ERchon-tai, LEgei
KUri-os,

*That I will accomplish a new covenant*

kai sun-teLEs*o* [4931] ePI ton OIkon Is-ra*E*L

*over the house of Israel and over the house of Judah;*

kai ePI ton OIkon IOUda di-aTH*E*k*e*n [1242] kaiN*E*N [2537];

9* Not according to the covenant that I made for their :fathers*

ou kaTA t*e*n di-aTH*E*k*e*n h*e*n ePOI*e*-sa tois paTRAsin [3962] auT*O*N

*In the day that I took them by their :hands*

en h*e*MEra e-pi-la-boMEnou [1949] mou t*e*s cheiROS auT*O*N

*to lead them forth out of Egypt land:*

e-xa-gaGEIN [1806] auTOUS ek g*e*s AiGUPtou:

*For they continued not in my :covenant, *

HOti auTOI ouk eNEmei-nan [1696] en t*e* di-aTH*E*k*e* mou,

*And I regarded them not, says the Lord.*

ka' 'G*O* *e*MEl*e*-sa [272] auT*O*N, LEgei KUri-os.

 g. 8:10-12 NATURE OF NEW AND SUPERIOR COVENANT

*For this is the covenant that I will covenant for the house of Israel*

HOte HAUt*e* h*e* di-aTH*E*k*e* h*e*n di-aTH*E*so-mai [1303] t*o* OIk*o*Is-ra
*E*L

*After those :days, says the Lord;*

meTA tas h*e*MEras eKEInas, LEgei KUri-os;

*I will put my laws into their :mind,*

diDOUS NOmous [3551] mou eis t*e*n diAnoi-an [1271] auT*O*N,

*And on their heart also will I write them:*

kai ePI karDIas [2588] auT*O*N e-piGRAps*o* [1924] auTOUS:

*And I will be God to them, And they shall be a people to me:*

kai Eso-mai auTOIS eis TheON, kai auTOI EsonTAI moi eis laON:

11* And they shall each in no wise teach his :fellow-citizen,*

kai ou m*e* diDAx*o*-sin [1321] HEka-stos ton poLIt*e*n [4139] auTOU,

*And each his :brother, saying, Know the Lord:*

kai HEka-stos ton a-delPHON auTOU, LEg*o*n, GN*O*thi [1097] ton KUri-on:

*For all shall know me, From the least to the greatest of them,*

HOti PANtes eiD*E*souSIN [1492] me, aPO miKROU [3398] HE*o*s meGAlou [3173]auT
*O*N,

12* Because I will be merciful to their :iniquities,*

HOti HIle-*o*s [2436] Eso-mai tais a-diKIai auT*O*N,

*And their :sins will I remember no more.*

 kai t*o*n ha-mar-ti*O*N auT*O*N ou m*e* mn*e*sTH*O* [3415] Eti.

 h. 8:13a* In that he says, A new, he has made old the first.*

en t*o* LEgein, KaiN*E*N, pe-paLAI*o*-ken [3822] t*e*n PR*O*t*e*n.

 i. 8:13b* But what becomes old, yes aged, is nigh vanishing away.*

to de pa-laiOUme-non [3822] , kai g*e*RAskon [1095], egGUS a-pha-nisMOU
[854].

 *NOTE**: *There are certain insights from this passage that are unique,
not appearing anywhere else in the NT. Because of the unusual three years
of revelation that Paul received directly from the Lord following his
conversion, it is difficult to find another NT writer who could unfold the
clear revelation as appears in this book. His three years in the desert at
this time are unique also.

 This is all apart from the confirmation that Bible Numerics through Ivan
Panin gives to his authorship. It is especially in the realm of the
unfolding insights to the OT “mysteries” that Paul received from the Lord
to make known to the church.

 We learn in this passage concerning the contrast of Moses' earthly
tabernacle over which Aaron initially ruled with his successors, and the
heavenly one - over which Jesus alone now eternally rules.

 8:5 brings out a truth that again and again is repeated in the book of
Exodus to Moses from God: “*See, said He, that you make all
thingsconcerning the earthly tabernacle - according to the heavenly
pattern shown
to you on the Mount.”*

 Moses so carefully obeyed this admonition, that when the finished
Tabernacle was presented to God for His approval, He then in approval
sealed it by placing His Shekinah glory upon it! Solomon later built the
Temple exactly according to the pattern God gave to his father David. After
7 ½ years of Construction, on the Feast of Tabernacles - God signified His
approval by so filling the Temple with His glory - that 120 priests were
unable to enter to stand and minister. Elijah on Mount Carmel, rebuilt the
broken down altar of Jehovah, with the 12 stones representing the 12 tribes
of Israel, and exactly at the time of the evening sacrifice, he prayed his
63-word prayer. God signified His approval by sending fire from heaven,
consuming not only the sacrifice, but the stones, and licking up the water
also.

 Jesus said - *“I will build My church, and the counsels in the gates of
hell shall not prevail against it!”* Not one word - not one miracle Jesus
performed - but *all* came from the Father Himself. As Son of man - He
originated *nothing* from Himself. God was *so pleased* with the work of
His Beloved Son - that following Jesus earthly ministry of 3 years in
founding the church, God filled 120 of the members with the Holy Spirit on
the Day of Pentecost, in the upper room. They represented the corporate
living Temple of God.

 The Old Covenant of Moses for Israel was *not* faultless. So God prepared
a *New Covenant* in preparation when Israel at the Lord's Second Coming
will be a nation born in a day. And - because of the revelation of the
“mystery” of the “One New Man” - Jew and Gentile together in the church,
even in those beginning days, functioned dynamically from the Day of
Pentecost in the New Covenant truth.

 Jesus fulfilled the Feast of Passover at Calvary. The Holy Spirit
fulfilled “The Feast of Pentecost” 50 days after Christ's Resurrection and
10 days after His Ascension. Jesus will fulfill the Feast of Tabernacles
(Succot) at His Second Coming, and usher in His Millennial reign from
Jerusalem.

 8:10-12 again outlines the great contrast between the Mosaic Covenant from
Mount Sinai, and the New Covenant, inaugurated by Jesus in His Atoning
Death, Resurrection, Ascension, and Sending the Holy Spirit as His own
Heredity for us.

 But for me, perhaps the outstanding insight from this passage is 8:6 -
Jesus - as the Mediator of a *better* covenant (than that of Moses), which
has been enacted - or better - “*constituted as Torah*” upon better
promises. Dr. David Stern in both the Introduction to the “Complete Jewish
Bible” as well as to his “Jewish New Testament Commentary” - points out
this unusual Greek construction. The word “ne-no-moTHEt*e*-tai” - is the
key here. “NOmos” (law) in Greek is T*O*rah in Hebrew, meaning “teaching”.
What this verse is proclaiming is that the New Testament is on the same
level as the OT Torah, for both Jew and Gentile, “The One New Man”. Still
we need to remember - The NT is in the Old contained: the OT is by the New
explained! And when we see “both” as Torah in God's sight - then the 66
books of our Bible are *indeed* unique.

 And the fact that Bible Numerics even established God's
*signature*through the 33 known Bible writers - then
*it* becomes indeed the Plumbline to establish God's thinking and insight
as infallible. This established the sexual sin of Sodom and Gomorrah and
all successors to it. We all one day will appear either before the Judgment
Seat (BEma) of Christ as believers - to answer for what we have believed
and done in the body - and all unbelievers - unrepentant sinners - will
appear before the Great White Throne to hear the final verdict for
rebellion, deliberate unbelief and rejection of God's Christ, the only way
of salvation and justification in this life down here. J.A.Watt