John 1:1-18 - Interlinear

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon May 21 17:03:13 PDT 2012

May 21, 2012

 * (From JOHN #1 - 1:1-18) *

*JOHN'S SUMMARY: THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST, SON OF THE LIVING GOD*

 I. 1:1-2:11 JESUS COMMENCES HIS MIRACULOUS MINISTRY

A. 1:1-18 PURPOSE OF JESUS: TO REVEAL GOD TO MAN

1. 1:1* In the beginning the Word was, and the Word was with :God, and the
Word was God.*

En arCH*E* [746] *e*n ho LOgos [3056], kai ho LOgos *e*n pros ton TheON,
kai TheOS *e*n ho LOgos.

 2. 1:2-13 PURPOSE OF WORD: LIGHT AND LIFE FOR MEN

a. 1:2 * The same was in **the** beginning with :God. ** *HOUtos *e*n en
arCH*E* pros ton TheON.

 b. 1:3 * All things became through him; and without him nothing became
that had become.*

PANta di' auTOU eGEne-to [1096]; kai ch*o*RIS auTOU eGEne-to ouDE hen ho
GEgo-nen.

 c. 1:4 * In him was life; and the life was the light of :men.*

en auT*O* z*o*-*E* [2222] *e*n; kai h*e* z*o*-*E* *e*n to ph*o*s [5457] t*o*n
anTHR*O*p*o*n.

 d. 1:5 * And the light shines in the darkness; and the darkness
apprehended it not.*

kai to ph*o*s en t*e* skoTIa [4653] PHAInei [5316]; kai h*e* skoTIa auTO ou
kaTEla-ben [2638].

 e. 1:6 * There came to be a man, sent from God, his name was John.*

eGEne-to ANthr*o*-pos, a-pe-stalMEnos [649] paRA TheOU, Ono-ma auT*O* I*o*An
*e*s.

 f. 1:7 PURPOSE OF JOHN: A WITNESS UNTO BELIEF

*The same came for a witness,*

HOUtos *E*Lthen eis mar-tuRIan [3141],

*that he might witness of the light, that all might believe through him.*

HIna mar-tuR*E*s*e* peRI tou ph*o*TOS, HIna PANtes piSTEUs*o*-sin
[4100]di' auTOU.

 g. 1:8 * HE was not the light, but came that he might witness of the light.
*

ouk *e*n eKEInos to ph*o*s, all' HIna mar-tuR*E*s*e* peRI tou ph*o*TOS.

 h. 1:9 * The true :light was which coming into the world lights every man.*

*E*n to ph*o*s to a-l*e*-thiNON ho ph*o*TIzei [5461] PANta ANthr*o*-pon
erCHOme-non eis ton KOSmon.

 i. 1:10* He was in the world, and the world became through him, and the
world knew him not.*

en t*o* KOSm*o* *e*n, kai ho KOSmos di' auTOU eGEne-to, kai ho KOSmos auTON
ouk EGn*o*.

 j. 1:11 * He came unto his :own possessions, and his :own received him not.
*

eis ta Idi-a *E*Lthen, kai hoi Idi-oi auTON ou paREla-ben [3880].

 k. 1:12-13 A NEW BIRTH - RESULT OF ACCEPTING THE WORD

*But as many as received him, to them gave he authority to become children
of God,*

HOsoi de Ela-bon auTON, Ed*o*-ken auTOIS e-xouSIan TEKna TheOU geNESthai,

*even** to them that believe unto his :name:*

tois piSTEUou-sin eis to Ono-ma auTOU:

13* who were begotten, not of bloods, nor of the will of flesh,*

hoi ouk ex haiMAt*o*n [129], ouDE ek theL*E*ma-tos sarKOS*,*

*nor of man's will, but of God.*

OUde ek theL*E*ma-tos [2307] anDROS, all' ek TheOU e-genN*E*th*e*-san [1080]
.

 3. 1:14-18 PURPOSE OF JESUS: REVEAL GOD IN FLESH

a. 1:14 INCARNATION AND CHARACTER OF CHRIST

*And the Word became flesh, and tabernacled among us,*

Kai ho LOgos sarx eGEne-to, kai eSK*E*n*o*-sen [4637] en h*e*MIN,

*and we beheld his :glory, glory as of an only begotten with a father,*

kai e-the-aSAme-tha [2300] t*e*n DOxan auTOU, DOxan h*o*s mo-no-geNOUS
[3439] paRA paTROS,

*full of grace and truth.*

PL*E*r*e*s CHAri-tos [5485] kai a-l*e*THEIas [225].

 b. 1:15 WHAT JOHN WITNESSED OF JESUS

*(John witnessed of him, and cried, saying, -*

(I*o*An*e*s mar-tuREI peRI auTOU, kai KEkra-gen, LEg*o*n, -

*This was he who said - Who comes after me is become before me:*

HOUtos *e*n ho eiP*O*N - Ho oPIs*o* mou erCHOme-nos EMprosTHEN mou
GEgo-nen:

*for he was first in regard of me.)*

HOti PR*O*-TOS mou *e*n.)* *

 c. 1:16* Because of his :fullness we all received, and grace upon grace.*

HOti ek tou pl*e*R*O*ma-tos [4128] auTOU h*e*MEIS PANtes eLAbo-men, kai
CHArin anTI CHAri-tos.

 d. 1:17 CONTRAST OF MOSES AND JESUS

*Because the law was given through Moses;*

HOti ho NOmos [3551] diA M*o*-uSE*o*s eDOth*e*;

*the grace and the truth came to be through Jesus Christ.*

h*e* CHAris kai h*e* aL*E*thei-a diA I*e*SOU ChrisTOU eGEne-to.

 e. 1:18 THE MANIFESTATION THAT CHRIST HAS GIVEN OF THE FATHER

*God no one has ever seen; an only begotten, himself God,*

TheON ouDEIS he*O*ra-ken [3708] P*O*po-te; mo-no-geN*E*S, TheOS,

*who is unto the bosom of the Father, HE has declared him.*

ho *o*n eis ton KOLpon [3859] tou paTROS, eKEInos e-x*e*G*E*sa-to [1834].

 *NOTE**: *John 1:1-18 is called the “Prologue” to the whole Gospel of
John, and in theological circles, the “Prolegomena”. It is unique in the
entire Bible, and gives the relationship of Jesus to the Father and to us,
in a manner that is indeed unique.

 Jehovah's Witnesses have made a big deal out of 1:1, where it states that
Jesus the “Word” was “God”, but without being preceded by the definite
article “the”. They say that he was but “a God”, while the Father was “the
God.” I challenged one young Jehovah's Witness leader in charge of a group
- “If I could show you a passage, even from your own Interlinear Greek NT,
the “Emphatic Diaglott”, where Jesus is called “the” God, would you
acknowledge that your doctrine of making Jesus less the the Father is
false? “Yes”, he said, “but you can't do that.” “Turn to John 20:28,” I
said, “and read to me.” Here Thomas, when he saw the resurrected Christ
with the nail-prints in His hands and feet, and the mark of the
sword-thrust in His side, fell at His feet and said to Him, My “the” Lord,
and my “*the*” God.

 This young man was immediately chagrined and at a loss before a home group
of some 20 that he was seeking to disciple. One of our church members had
been invited to attend this group, but told the leader she didn't think her
pastor would approve of the teaching. “Invite him to come,” he challenged,
“and tell him he can challenge me in any area where he has a problem.
Following my challenge he said, “I have had a dozen or so pastors challenge
me in the past, but you are the first one that has put me into a losing
situation.”

 I did not do this to embarrass this young leader, but to save our church
member from falling into heresy and error. This took place in 1955 in
Chicago through the Kostner Avenue Baptist Church, of which I was pastor.

 1:1-2 throws light against the Gnostic error that took place, even
starting in the first century of the church.

 It is interesting to note in 1:4, that the “life” of Jesus is the “light”
of men - and His Life is the Life of the Holy Spirit, also called Eternal
Life!

 1:12-13 has been memorized by many, and is part of the 108 verses in the
“Topical Memory System” put out by the Navigators years ago.

 I love 1:14, telling how Jesus took on our human form to tabernacle among
us, like Moses' Tabernacle in the Wilderness. For those with eyes to see,
they could see the glory of the Father shining through the body of Jesus in
His three year ministry amongst us. It was following the Holy Spirit
descending on Him as a Dove that this manifestation with the Signs and
Wonders commenced. Jesus did not perform a miracle prior to that time, in
spite of some of the statements in apocryphal books.

 The contrast between the ministry of Moses and Jesus cannot be more
clearly stated than in 1:17. And 1:18 makes it clear that all we know or
can know of the Father, is only through Jesus Christ. God has chosen
*Him*to manifest the fullness of the invisible God. Oswald Chambers in
his
writings, makes this point abundantly clear.

 People who love to memorize portions of Scripture, not just verses - are
rewarded greatly through the memorization of this passage. Then as they *
meditate* upon it, *great* reward becomes theirs. Lance Latham of Chicago
raised up the “AWANA” Clubs for boys and later also for girls. It stands
for “*A*pproved *W*orkmen *A*re *N*ot *A*shamed”. He had the members
memorize chapters and even *books* of the New Testament. The Book of Romans
was one he strongly encouraged for complete memorization. Over 50% of the
boys in one Club ended up as pastors or missionaries because of this strong
challenge!

 It is now 2012-05-21, and the “Outlined Interlinear NT” based on the two
Bible Numeric NT texts prepared by Ivan Panin - is about to be printed. It
will appear in a slightly different format from that above, so that it can
be more easily made available in the E-book format also. Readers will be
kept informed how to order both these publications. - J.A.Watt