Mark 9:2-29 Interlinear

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed May 16 11:33:50 PDT 2012

May 16, 2012

 *(From: MARK #14 - 9:2-29)*

 H. 9:2-13 THE TRANSFIGURED JESUS

a. 9:2-3 THE TRANSFIGURATION OF JESUS

*And after six days :Jesus takes with him :Peter, and :James,*

Kai meTA h*e*MEras hex pa-ra-lamBAnei [3880] ho I*e*SOUS ton PEtron, kai
ton IAk*o*-bon,

*and John, and brings them up into a high mountain apart by themselves:*

kai I*o*An*e*n, kai a-naPHErei [399] auTOUS eis HOros hu-ps*e*LON
[5308]kat iDIan MOnous:

*and he was transfigured before them; *3* and his :garments became*

kai me-te-morPH*O*th*e* [3339] EMpros-then auT*O*N; kai ta hiMAti-a auTOU
eGEne-to

*glistening, exceeding white, so as no fuller on :earth can whiten them.*

STILbon-ta [4744], leuKA [3022] LIan, HOIa gnaPHEUS ePI t*e* g*e*s ou
DUna-tai HOUt*o*s leuKAnai.

 b. 9:4 * And Elijah appeared to them with Moses: and they were talking
with :Jesus.*

kai *O*PHth*e* [3700] auTOIS *E*-LEIas sun M*o*-uSEI [3475]: kai *E*san
sun-laLOUNtes t*o* I*e*SOU.

 c. 9:5 PETER'S SUGGESTION

*And :Peter answers and says to :Jesus, Rabbi,*

kai a-po-kriTHEIS ho PEtros LEgei t*o* I*e*SOU, 'RabBEI,

*it is good for us to be here: and let us make three tents;*

kaLON es-tin h*e*MAS H*O*de EInai: kai poi*E*s*o*-men treis sk*e*NAS [4633];

*for you one, and for Moses one, and for Elijah one.*

soi MEan, kai M*o*-uSEI MIan, kai *E*-LEIa MIan.

 d. 9:6* For he knew not what to answer; for they became sore afraid.*

ou gar *E*dei ti a-po-kriTH*E*; EKpho-boi [1630] gar eGEnon-to.

 e. 9:7 THE WITNESS OF THE FATHER

*And a cloud came overshadowing them: and a voice came*

kai eGEne-to nePHEl*e* [3507] e-pi-skiAzou-sa [1982] auTOIS: kai eGEne-to ph
*o*N*E* [5456]

*out of the cloud, This is my :beloved :Son: hear him.*

ek t*e*s nePHEl*e*s, HOU-TOS es-tin ho huiOS mou ho a-ga-p*e*TOS: aKOUe-te
auTOU.

 f. 9:8* And suddenly looking around they saw no one any more with
themselves, save :Jesus only.*

kai eXApi-na pe-ri-blePSAme-noi ouKEti ouDEna EIdon meth' he-auT*O*N, ei m*e
* ton I*e*SOUN MOnon.

 g. 9:9 THE CHARGE OF JESUS

*And as they were coming down from the mountain,*

Kai ka-ta-baiNONt*o*n [2597] auT*O*N ek tou Orous,

*he charged them that they tell no one what things they had seen,*

di-eSTEIla-to [1291] auTOIS HIna m*e*-deNI ha EIdon di-*e*G*E*s*o*n-tai
[1492],

*save when the Son of :man should have risen from the dead.*

ei m*e* HOtan ho huiOS tou anTHR*O*pou ek neKR*O*N a-naST*E*.

 h. 9:10 * And they kept the saying, questioning among themselves what the
rising from the dead is.*

kai ton LOgon eKRAt*e*-san, pros he-auTOUS sun-z*e*TOUNtes TI es-tin to ek
neKR*O*N a-naST*E*nai.

 i. 9:11 QUESTION

*And they asked him, saying,*

kai e-p*e*R*O*t*o*n auTON, LEgon-tes,

*Why do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?*

HOti LEgou-sin hoi gram-maTEIS HOti *E*-LEIan dei elTHEIN PR*O*ton?

 j. 9:12 JESUS' ANSWER

*And he said to them, Elijah indeed comes first,*

ho de Eph*e* auTOIS, *E*-LEIas men elTH*O*N PR*O*ton,

*and** restores all **things: and how is it written of the Son of :man,*

a-po-ka-tiSTAnei [600] PANta: kai p*o*s GEgrap-tai ePI ton huiON tou anTHR*O
*pou,

*that he suffer many things and be set at naught?*

HIna polLA PAth*e* [3958] kai e-xou-de-n*e*TH*E* [1847]?

 k. 9:13 ELIJAH AND JOHN THE BAPTIST LINKED

*But I say unto you, that an Elijah is even come,*

alLA LEg*o* huMIN, HOti kai *E*-LEIas eL*E*lu-then,

*and they have done to him whatever they would, even as it is written of
him.*

kai ePOI*e*-san auT*O* HOsa *E*the-lon, kaTH*O*S GEgrap-tai ep' auTON.

 I. 9:14-29 FAITH AND FASTING-PRAYER: KEY TO CASTING OUT DEMONS

a. 9:14 CIRCUMSTANCES FOLLOWING THE TRANSFIGURATION

*And when they came to the disciples, they saw a great crowd*

Kai elTHONtes pros tous math*e*TAS, EIdan OCHlon poLUN

*about them, and scribes questioning with them.*

peRI auTOUS, kai gram-maTEIS sun-z*e*TOUNtas [4802] pros auTOUS.

 b. 9:15 THE CROWD SALUTES JESUS

*And straightway the whole crowd, when they saw him,*

kai euTHUS pas ho OCHlos, iDONtes auTON,

*were greatly amazed, and running to him saluted him.*

e-xe-thamB*E*th*e*-san [1568], kai proSTREchon-tes [4370] *e*SPAzon-to
[782]auTON.

 c. 9:16 * And he asked them, What do you question with them?*

kai e-p*e*R*O*t*e*-sen [1905] auTOUS, Ti sun-z*e*TEIte [4802] pros auTOUS?

 d. 9:17-18 EXPLANATION FROM ONE OF THE CROWD

*And one of the crowd answered him, Teacher,*

kai a-peKRIth*e* auT*O* heis ek tou OCHlou, DiDAska-le,

*I brought unto you my :son, who has a dumb spirit;*

*E*neg-ka ton huiON mou pros se, Echon-ta PNEUma Ala-lon [216];

18* and wherever it seizes him, it dashes him down:*

kai HOpou eAN auTON ka-taLAb*e* [2638], 'R*E*Ssei [4486] auTON:

*and he foams, and grinds his :teeth, and pines away:*

kai aPHRIzei [875], kai TRIzei [5149] tous oDONtas [3599], kai x*e*RAIne-tai
[3583]:

*and I spoke to your :disciples that they cast it out; and they were unable.
*

kai EIpa tois ma-th*e*TAIS sou HIna auTO ekBAl*o*-sin; kai ouk Ischu-san
[2480].

 e. 9:19 JESUS REQUESTS THE BOY BE BROUGHT TO HIM

*And he answers them and says, O faithless generation,*

ho de a-po-kriTHEIS auTOIS LEgei, *O* ge-neA Api-stos,

*how long shall I be with you? how long shall I bear with you? bring him
unto me.*

HE*o*s POte pros huMAS Eso-mai? HE*o*s POte aNExo-mai [430] huM*O*N?
PHEre-te auTON PROS me.

 f. 9:20 THE DEMONIC REACTION

*And they brought him unto him: and when he saw him,*

kai *E*neg-kan auTON pros auTON: kai iD*O*N auTON,

*straightway the spirit convulses him grievously;*

to PNEUma euTHUS su-neSPAra-xen [4952] auTON;

*and he fell on the ground, and wallowed foaming.*

kai peS*O*N ePI t*e*s g*e*s, e-kuLIe-to [2947] aPHRIz*o*n [875].

 g. 9:21a * And he asked his :father, How long time is it since this has
come to him?*

kai e-p*e*R*O*t*e*-sen [1905] ton paTEra auTOU, POsos CHROnos esTIN h*o*s
TOUto GEgo-nen auT*O*?

 h. 9:21b* And he said, From a child. ** *ho de EIpen, Ek pai-diOthen [3812]
.

 i. 9:22 THE REPORT OF THE FATHER

*And oft-times it has cast him both into fire and into waters,*

kai polLAkis kai eis pur auTON Eba-len kai eis HUda-ta,

*to destroy him: but if you can do anything have pity on us, and help us.*

HIna a-poLEs*e* auTON: all' EI ti DUn*e* bo*E*th*e*-son [997] H*E*min,
splagch-nisTHEIS eph' huMAS.

 j. 9:23a * And :Jesus said to him, As to the If you can!*

ho de I*e*SOUS EIpen auT*O*, To Ei DUn*e* [1410]!

 k. 9:23b* All things are possible to him that believes.*

PANta du-naTA t*o* piSTEUon-ti.

 l. 9:24* Straightway the father of the little child cried out, and said, I
believe; help my :unbelief.*

euTHUS KRAxas [2806] ho paT*E*R tou paiDIou, Ele-gen, PiSTEU*o*; bo*E*thei
[997] mou t*e* a-piSTIa.

 m. 9:25 JESUS REBUKES THE UNCLEAN SPIRIT

*And :Jesus seeing that a crowd was running together,*

iD*O*N de ho I*e*SOUS HOti e-pi-sunTREchei [1998] OCHlos,

*rebuked the unclean :spirit, saying to him,*

e-peTIm*e*-sen [2008] t*o* PNEUma-ti t*o* a-kaTHARt*o* [169], leG*O*N auT*O*
,

*Dumb and deaf :spirit, I command you, *

To Ala-lon kai k*o*PHON PNEUma, eG*O* e-piTASs*o* soi,

*come out of him, and come no more into him.*

Exel-the ex auTOU, kai m*e*KEti eiSELth*e*s eis auTON.

 n. 9:26 IMMEDIATE RESULTS OF THE EXORCISM

*And having cried out, and convulsed him much, he came out:*

kai KRAxas, kai polLA spaRAxas [4682], eX*E*Lthen:

*and the boy became as one dead; so that the many said [that] He is dead.*

kai eGEne-to h*o*SEI neKROS; H*O*ste tous polLOUS LEgein [HOti] A-PEtha-nen.

 o. 9:27 * But :Jesus took him by the hand, and raised him up; and he arose.
*

ho de I*e*SOUS kraT*E*sas t*e*s cheiROS auTOU, *E*gei-ren auTON; kai aNEst*e
* [450].

 p. 9:28 QUESTION OF THE DISCIPLES

*And when he was come into the house, his :disciples asked him privately,*

kai ei-selTHONtos auTOU eis OIkon, hoi math*e*TAI auTOU kat' iDIan e-p*e*R*O
*t*o*n auTON,

*Why could not we cast it out?*

HOti h*e*MEIS ouk *e*-duN*E*th*e*-men [1410] ek-baLEIN auTO?

 q. 9:29 * And he said to them, This :kind can come out by nothing, save by
prayer.*

kai EIpen auTOIS, TOUto to GEnos en ou-deNI DUna-tai e-xelTHEIN, ei m*e* en
pro-seuCH*E* [4335].

 *NOTE**: *9:2-13 This paragraph is one of the high marks in the life of
Jesus as Son of man upon earth. When we speak of His death, burial,
Ascension and Pouring out of the Holy Spirit, we could precede these four
events with His Incarnation, Bar Mitzvah and Transfiguration. These
*seven*events in the life of our Savior - are seven windows giving us
a deeper
understanding of this Extraordinary Being. Whatever of Truth we can
meditate upon for a fuller understanding of Him, is bound to lead us to a
deeper consecration of our life for Him. My utmost - for *His* *Highest*!

 The Transfiguration is a *true* window into the coming manifestation of
the Kingdom of God. It is inward and invisible today - it will be outward
and Glorious tomorrow! Jesus' three close disciples *recognized* Moses and
Elijah, most probably by inward revelation of the Spirit. Read H.A. Baker's
“Visions Beyond the Veil”. These 40 little Chinese children saw the same
things in the Spirit, and recognized saints of the past when they were
temporarily transported to Heaven and Paradise in groups.

 It is interesting to note that there is a possible “transfiguration” for
you and me in this present time. We read about it in Romans 12:2. The same
word used for Transfiguration in Mark 9, is also used here in Romans
concerning the desire of God for each of us to have *renewed* or *
transfigured* *minds*. The Holy Spirit in our spirit as we obey God, then
takes *our* thoughts in our mind, and transfigures them, so that we think
God's thoughts after Him. Not too many saints enter into this potential and
possibility - but it is *freely* offered to us all. Those who indeed hunger
and thirst after righteousness, are abundantly filled by our blessed God.
The word *transfigured* means to be changed like a caterpillar - moving
into chrysalis stage - but emerging as a beautiful butterfly! God wants our
human and often unworthy thoughts to be so lifted in a like parallel
transfiguration! The “high places” in Judah that only two kings removed -
Hezekiah and Josiah - are like these human thoughts that can be changed by
the renewing of our minds. Read 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 - *every
thought*brought into captivity to Christ! This is just another way of
looking at it.

 Also, to see the spirit of Elijah work in John the Baptist is an important
revelation. And yet - he that is *least* in the Kingdom of Heaven - is
greater than John the Baptist. Not greater in ministry - but greater in *
privilege*. He who has received the Holy Spirit - the d*o*-reA as a *gift*,
has entered into privilege that was *not available* prior to Christ's
passion.

 9:14-29 - Here are lessons that can open up to us in clarity and
understanding by the Holy Spirit, the Teacher Jesus promised subsequent to
His Ascension. As we meditate over God's Word in prayer - on our knees -
like George Muller and George Whitefield - we will scarcely be able to
believe what God will open up to us. John the Baptist couldn't understand
these things. He even had doubts at times concerning the true Messiahship
of Jesus. But *we* have the privilege to lose all such doubts! to
*glory*in Christ Jesus as the only-begotten Son of God - to see Him as
God's
choice to come to earth as our Redeemer and Reconciler to God! By the Holy
Spirit Jesus literally imparts to *us* *His* very heredity! We enter into a
new creation through entrance into the Kingdom of God, which is
righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Repent! for the Kingdom
of God is at hand - was the initial message of both John the Baptist and
Jesus. It was realized on the Day of Pentecost, 50 day following His
Resurrection, and ten days after His Ascension. It will be manifested at *
our* Resurrection when Jesus returns again! Then the remnant nation of
Israel will be born again in a day! Then the One New Man Mystery of
Ephesians 2 and 3 will become a glorious living Reality. The time is at
hand. Repent, and believe the Gospel! J.A.Watt