Amos the Prophet

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed May 9 16:58:41 PDT 2012

May 9, 2012

 *2012-05-09 - AMOS - INTRODUCTION*

*(From “The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language” by Eugene H.
Peterson)*

 *More people are exploited and abused in the cause of religion than in any
other way. Sex, money, and power all take a back seat to religion as a
source of evil. Religion is the most dangerous energy source known to
humankind. The moment a person (or government or religion or organization)
is convinced that God is either ordering or sanctioning a cause or project,
anything goes. The history, worldwide, of religion-fueled hate, killing,
and oppression is staggering. The biblical prophets are in the the front
line of those doing something about it. *

 *The biblical prophets continue to be the most powerful and effective
voices ever heard on this earth for keeping religion honest, humble, and
compassionate. Prophets sniff out injustice, especially injustice that is
dressed up in religious garb. They sniff it out a mile away. Prophets see
through hypocrisy, especially hypocrisy that assumes a religious pose.
Prophets are not impressed by position or power or authority. They aren't
taken in by numbers, size, or appearances of success.*

 *They pay little attention to what men and women say about God or do for
God. They listen to God and rigorously test all human language and action
against what they hear. Among these prophets, Amos towers as defender of
the downtrodden poor and accuser of the powerful rich who use God's name to
legitimize their sin.*

 *None of us can be trusted in this business. If we pray and worship God
and associate with others who likewise pray and worship God, we absolutely
must keep company with these biblical prophets. We are required to submit
all our words and acts to their passionate scrutiny to prevent the
perversion of our religion into something self-serving. A spiritual life
that doesn't give a large place to the prophet-articulated justice will end
up making us worse instead of better, separating us from God's ways instead
of drawing us into them.*

 *NOTE**: Prophets are not popular. When King Jehoshaphat of Judah
requested a true prophet of the LORD to give counsel to him and King Ahab
of Israel - the latter said concerning the prophet Micaiah - “I hate him -
he always speaks evil of me!” Jehoshaphat chided Ahab for this outburst,
but it did little good!*

 *When John the Baptist rebuked King Herod for marrying his brother's wife,
Herodias contrived to have John beheaded!*

 *When Jesus as the Son of God and a true prophet confronted the scribes
and Pharisees of His day - they arranged to have Him crucified.*

 *Persecution and death has been the normal end for all true prophets. It
mattered not to them whether it was a king, a governor, a ruler or a rich
man - all true prophets spoke out the truth - let the chips fall where they
may!*

 *There was a time when the word that came forth over pulpits was of this
order. Mary Queen of Scots heard John Knox speak concerning her so clearly,
that she wept. She said, “I fear the prayers of John Knox more than all the
armies of England! When Know preached, it is said that he “dinged the
pulpit into blads.” Interpretation: While he preached, he hit the pulpit so
hard, that splinters flew off!*

 *We have an election coming up. Is it legitimate for one to hear from the
pulpit concerning our present president? Should he be given a second term?
Or is he like Mary Queen of Scots - one who needs to hear from the pulpits
of the land areas where he needs to repent, truly come to God, and hew the
line as a ruler by conforming to the Word of God? If all professing
Christians heard and followed such words, we would have a definite change
in the presidency.*

 *There are many in our land who are not clear in their thinking concerning
the prophetic responsibility of the pulpit in this area for our day.
J.A.Watt*