Acts 21:1-14 - Interlinear

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sun May 6 15:51:28 PDT 2012

May 6, 2012

 *(From: ACTS #35 - 21:1-14])*

 D. 21:1-14 LESSONS ON WARNINGS FROM THE SPIRIT

1. 21:1-6 WARNING OF THE SPIRIT

a. 21:1-2 FROM MILETUS TOWARDS PHOENICIA

*And when it came to pass that we were parted from them and had set sail,*

H*o*s de eGEne-to a-nachTH*E*nai [321] h*e*MAS a-po-spasTHENtas [645] ap'
auT*O*N,

*we came with a straight course unto :Cos,*

eu-thu-droM*E*san-tes [2113] *E*Ltho-men eis t*e*n K*o*,

*and the next day unto :Rhodes, and from there unto Patara:*

t*e* de heX*E*S eis t*e*n 'ROdon, ka' 'KEIthen eis PAta-ra:

2* and having found a ship crossing over unto Phoenicia, we went
aboard, andset sail.
*

kai heuRONtes PLOIon [4143] di-a-peR*O*N [1276] eis PhoiNIk*e*n, e-piBANtes
[1910], aN*E*CHth*e*-men.

 b. 21:3 PAST CYPRUS TO TYRE

*And when we had sighted :Cyprus, and leaving it on the left,*

a-naPHAnan-tes [398] de t*e*n KUpron, kai ka-ta-liPONtes [2641] auT*E*N eu*O
*nu-mon [2176],

*we sailed to Syria, and landed at Tyre;*

ePLEo-men eis SuRIan, kai kaT*E*Ltho-men [2609] eis TUron;

*for there the ship was to unload her :cargo.*

eKEIse gar to PLOIon *e*n a-po-phor-tiZOme-non [670] ton GOmon [1117].

 c. 21:4 PROPHETIC WARNING TO PAUL

*And having found the disciples, we tarried there seven days:*

a-neuRONtes [429] de tous ma-th*e*TAS, e-peMEIna-men [19611 auTOU h*e*MEras
hepTA:

*and these told :Paul through the Spirit, not to set foot in Jerusalem.*

HOti-nes t*o* PAUl*o* Ele-gon diA tou PNEUma-tos, m*e* e-piBAInein
[1910]eis Ie-roSOlu-ma.

 d. 21:5-6 FROM TYRE - BACK ABOARD SHIP

*And when it came to pass that we had accomplished the days,*

HOte de eGEne-to h*e*MAS e-xarTIsai [1822] tas h*e*MEras,

*we departed and went on; all, with wives and children,*

e-xelTHONtes e-po-reuOme-tha [4198]; pro-pemPONt*o*n [4311] h*e*MAS PANt*o*n

*bringing us on till out of the city:*

sun gu-naiXI kai TEKnois, HE*o*s Ex*o* t*e*s POle*o*s:

*and kneeling on the beach, *kai THENtes ta GOna-ta ePI ton ai-gi-aLON,* *

*we prayed, *6* and bade each other farewell;*

pro-seuXAme-noi, a-p*e*-spaSAme-tha alL*E*lous;

*and we went on board :ship, but they returned :home.*

kai eNEb*e*-men eis to PLOIon, eKEInoi de huPEstre-psan [5290] eis ta Idi-a.

 2. 21:7-14 FOREWARNINGS - BUT STRENGTHENED TO DO GOD'S WILL

a. 21:7 PAUL'S TEAM ARRIVES AT PTOLEMAIS

*And when we had finished the voyage from Tyre,*

H*e*MEIS de ton ploun [4144] di-aNUsan-tes [1274] aPO TUrou,

*we arrived at Ptolemais; and we greeted the brethren,*

ka-t*e*nT*E*sa-men [2658] eis Pto-le-maIda; kai as-paSAme-noi [782] tous
a-delPHOUS,

*and** abode with them one day.*

eMEIna-men h*e*MEran MIan par' auTOIS.

 b. 21:8 NEXT STEP: PHILIP'S HOME AT CAESAREA

*And on the morrow we departed, and came unto Caesarea:*

t*e* de ePAUri-on e-xelTHONtes, *E*Ltha-men eis KaiSAri-an:

*and entering into the house of Philip the evangelist,*

kai ei-selTHONtes eis ton OIkon PhiLIPpou tou eu-ag-ge-liSTOU [2099],

*who was one of the seven, we abode with him.*

ONtos ek t*o*n hepTA, eMEIna-men [3306] par' auT*O*.

 q* Now this man had four virgin daughters, who prophesied.*

TOUt*o* de *E*san thu-gaTEres TESsa-res parTHEnoi [3933], pro-ph*e*TEUou-sai
[4395].

 d. 21:10 AGABUS FROM JUDEA

*And as we tarried some days, *

e-pi-meNONt*o*n de h*e*MEras PLEIous,

*a certain prophet came down from Judea, Agabus by name.*

kaT*E*L-THEN tis aPO t*e*s IouDAIas proPH*E*t*e*s, oNOma-ti Aga-bos.

 e. 21:11 MESSAGE OF AGABUS TO PAUL

*And coming unto us, and taking the girdle of Paul,*

kai elTH*O*N pros huMAS, kai Aras [142] t*e*n Z*O*n*e*n [2223] tou PAUlou,

*he bound his own :feet and :hands, and said,*

D*E*sas [1210] he-auTOU tous POdas kai tas CHEIras, EIpen,

*These things says the Holy :Spirit, Thus shall the Jews*

TAde LEgei to PNEUma to HAgi-on, Ton ANdra HOU es-tin h*e* Z*O*n*e*

*at Jerusalem bind the man whose this :girdle is,*

HAUt*e* HOUt*o*s D*E*sou-sin [1210] en Ie-rou-saL*E*M hoi IouDAIoi,

*and shall deliver him into the hands of the nations.*

kai pa-raD*O*sou-sin eis CHEIras ethN*O*N.

 f. 21:12 PAUL URGED NOT TO GO TO JERUSALEM

*And when we heard these things, both we and they*

h*o*s de *e*KOUsa-men TAUta, pa-re-kaLOUmen [3870] h*e*MEIS te kai hoi

*of that place besought him not to go up to Jerusalem.*

enTOpi-oi tou m*e* a-naBAInein auTON eis Ie-rou-saL*E*M.

 g. 21:13 PAULS READINESS TO SUFFER FOR CHRIST'S SAKE

*Then :Paul answered, *TOte a-peKRIth*e* ho PAUlos,* *

*What do you do, weeping and breaking my :heart?*

Ti poiEIte, KLAIon-tes kai sunTHRUPtonTES mou t*e*n karDIan?

*for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem*

eG*O* gar ou MOnon deTH*E*nai [1210], alLA kai a-po-thaNEIN [599] eis
Ie-rou-saL*E*M

*for the name of the Lord Jesus.*

heTOIm*o*s Ech*o* huPER tou oNOma-tos tou KuRIou I*e*SOU.

 h. 21:14 PAUL'S FRIENDS LEAVE HIM TO HIS WILL

*And when he would not be persuaded, *m*e* pei-thoMEnou de auTOU,

*we ceased, saying, The will of the Lord be done.*

h*e*-suCHAsa-men, eiPONtes, Tou KuRIou to THEl*e*ma giNESth*o*.

 *NOTE**: *21:9 - The four daughters of Philip prophesied (pro-ph*e*TEUou-sai),
which would correspond with the gifts of the Spirit in 1 Corinthians
12:8-11. But this would *not* place them in the *office* of prophet, as in
Ephesians 4:11-12. The feminine equivalent form is #4398 proPH*E*tis, but
Philip's 4 daughters are *not* in this category.

 21:10-14 - Paul in the past mentioned that in city after city prophecies
came forth of bonds that awaited him in Jerusalem. This was confirmed in
Tyre (21:4). But Agabus in the latter part of this reading, like Ezekiel of
old, acted out what would happen to Paul should he go up to Jerusalem.

 It is important to note here how Paul lived out these prophecies - he did *
not* let them distract him from what *he* believed was the Lord's
*guidance*at this time for his life. Were the prophecies true?
Absolutely. But from
Paul's viewpoint, they were *not* to take precedence over the more
important guidance from God. There are believers today who will go a
thousand miles to get a word from the Lord. But - do they know how to get *
direct* guidance from Him, that supersedes prophetic words and revelation?
This is a serious situation. Fully committed disciples like Paul - do not
live on the level of prophetic guidance from others, even though authentic.
They have so progressed into the Lord like Oswald Chambers, George Muller
and Rees Howells - that *their* guidance is a direct word from the Lord.
Does one often hear this distinction made today?

 Confirmation to Paul in the above - can be found in the life of Elisha
when his mentor Elijah was about to be taken from him (2 King 2:3) - *“And
the sons of the prophets that were at Bethel came forth to Elisha, and said
unto him, Do you know that Jehovah will take away your master from your
head today? And he said, Yes, I know it; hold your peace.” *This happened
again with the prophets from Jericho 2 verses later. Elisha did not need
confirmation from the gift of prophecy. As a prophet, he like Paul had
direct guidance from the Lord. We need to “come up higher”, and not live in
the realm of depending upon gifts of the Spirit for guidance. They can be
true words as to what is about to happen should we follow a certain course
- but *not* the personal word and guidance of the Lord for us.

 Many are confused over this passage with Paul, Agabus and the other
prophets. Perhaps these words will help some to sort out the above, lead
them to “move to higher ground” like Paul and Elisha, and *not miss* the *
true* guidance of the Lord. J.A.Watt