Defense & Apologetic

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 13:51:38 PDT 2012

March 24, 2012

 *2012-03-24 - DEFENSE & APOLOGETIC FOR TORAH (BIBLE) ALONE*

 *My first class in Hebrew was in 1946 at the University of Saskatchewan in
Saskatoon. I was introduced to the words representing each of the 22
letters of the alphabet, and shared my exciting discovery with the
professor. He was an outgoing Modernist, Dr. Robert Schnell, and promptly
threw cold water on my discovery. I was quite shocked, and decided to do
some research on the subject, which I have continued through the years. I
am quite satisfied that the normal word equivalent for each of the 22
letters is quite legitimate, and that this has no connection with Kabbala
(Cabala) or the occult.*

 *However, my concern is this: My friends, both Jewish and Gentile who use
this information to form Bible interpretation - have no Biblical warranty
for such use. Of the 33 known Bible book authors - not one refers to this
as a legitimate basis for interpretation, nor does Jesus Himself. I have 3
friends I referred to in a recent article on this subject, who do not
handle any Bible teaching without referring to these letter and number
equivalents. It does excite the hearers, and one gets incredible computer
hits monthly for his teachings making use of this method. Talking to and
observing such hearers, I do not find them moving in a “Bible Meditation”
posture like George Muller or George Whitefield. It seems like more of an
exciting discovery the teacher shares with his hearers, in a somewhat
intellectual rather than a spiritual mode.*

 *Up till now, I have merely made my own observations, and said nothing. It
was when one I highly regarded for his spiritual and edifying teaching -
switched in the last few years to the mode above - that I became not just
concerned, but alarmed. The majority of his hearers in the meeting I
attended really had little background to evaluate what they were hearing.*

 *Because the Greek language does not lend itself to this type of
interpretation as based on the Hebrew, the NT Greek was put down as a
Hellenistic intellectual mode - far inferior to the Hebrew. This is an
extremely serious conclusion. It immediately downgrades the New Covenant,
and lifts up the OT in a manner that does not fit with the Pauline
insights. And Paul himself said that his teaching was not of himself - but
the Lord by the Spirit gave him all he wrote except a few thoughts in 1
Corinthians 7.*

 *Concerning numerology. I personally follow Bible Numerics by Ivan Panin,
which has nothing to do with numerology. Numerics, because of number
equivalents to each letter of both Hebrew and Greek - merely is God's aid
in establishing the true original text of the Bible out of the number of
manuscript copies existing today. Numerology as I understand it - deals
with Bible interpretation on the basis of such numbers.*

 *Again, on the basis of the Bible writers themselves, both OT and NT, we
do not find them majoring on interpretation on the basis of such numbers.
Making an inordinate use of such letters and numbers as the basis for Bible
interpretation, tends to major on “head” knowledge, and though exciting
because different, does not lead in my experience to true spirituality or
intimacy with Jesus.*

 *My first year as a believer in 1944 found me introduced to a number of
teachers in Victoria BC, who majored on numerology. I found it quite “dry”.
I have received 5 years each of Latin, Greek and Hebrew, which does
notmake one a scholar - just an earnest student with a Master's
degree. I have
spent 1000's of hours in Greek perfecting an “Outlined Interlinear NT”
based on the Greek and English texts prepared by Ivan Panin. And I have
spend a considerable time also preparing Hebrew Interlinear sections based
on some of my favorite OT passages.*

 *Much later I led a Messianic Jewish Congregation for 10 years, and had
the opportunity through the Torah readings - to discover what Jewish
Orthodox writers did in the field of Numerology. They would add up the
numbers for passages, and seek to relate such totals with other parts of
the OT to produce interpretations. I used two of their texts weekly for
several years - namely “The Pentateuch and Haftorahs” by Hertz, plus “The
Chumash” - The Stone Edition, anthologized from the Rabbinic Writings.*

 *Some of their notes are excellent - but some are wild, departing from the
Torah, and taking on from the Talmud and Mishnah insights that couldn't
possibly be condoned by Jesus!*

 *After having looked into both fields of numerology and alphabetology (my
term) for years, - I am more than ever convinced that Jesus words to the
Jewish leaders of His day - “You have made void the Word of God (Torah,
both OT and NT) by your traditions” - is applicable to an excessive use of
these two disciplines. Again - because no Bible writer refers to either of
these disciplines in their writings - then I personally cannot lend my time
in these areas. George Muller and Andrew Murray majored on Bible texts
alone. Their lives, writings and fruit have been so admirable, that I have
no difficulty in seeking to emulate their examples.*

 *The work I have done (between 40-50,000 hours) on the “Outlined
Interlinear NT” - is not an end in itself but a means to an end - namely:
the basis for “Biblical Meditation” as the major component part for making
us useful in the hands of our Lord as an organic laser-telescope group.*

 *The above may not be convincing or appealing to others. Israel in the
wilderness got tired of “manna” for angels, and wanted the leeks and garlic
of Egypt. I fear that an excessive emphasis on numerology and alphabetology
- takes us from the manna of Torah - and brings us into the rabbinical
views of Talmud and Mishnah; and for some - definitely into the realm of
Kabbala and the occult. - Jim Watt*