TRUE GUIDANCE

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 09:48:50 PST 2012

February 16, 2012

 “*TWO ARE BETTER THAN ONE” MINISTRIES*

*Jim & Marie Watt – Beth Chesed, Tacoma - *

*TRUE GUIDANCE: SAFEGUARD FOR GIFT OF PROPHECY”** - 2007.01.16*

*(From “Answers to Prayer” by George Muller)*

 The “Presbytery Concept” was restored to the Church on February 12, 1948
at the Sharon Bible School, North Battleford, Saskatchewan, Canada.

In a sense it was completely unexpected – and yet contrariwise, it had been
expected for 13 years. Over that period of time God had given a steady
stream of encouraging words to George R. Hawtin of Alsask, Saskatchewan
concerning this impending Restoration event.

During this period of time, God had worked into Hawtin’s character to go
along with specific attributes to prepare him for the leadership for 1948.
Look at Abraham, Joseph, David and Paul. Each had a 13 year preparation
time also, before God released them into the true calling he had for them.

In other articles I have written in detail on this. Suffice it to say here,
that that day in February will never be forgotten, not only by those who
were present, but for the rest of us who saw the results of this
Restoration, plus 11 other Revival Principles, which all came together that
year.

 But with every privilege comes responsibility. I have been asked – What
happened during the July 1948 Camp Meeting in North Battleford that brought
you into balance?

It happened one afternoon that July. George Hawtin had announced in the
morning that there would take place that afternoon the Commissioning to
Africa of two missionary couples. I knew them both, and had a word for the
"Rosenkis.” The other couple was the “Shepherds.”

I had invited Marie Gaudet from Vancouver BC (my wife now) to attend this
Camp Meeting. She was interested in the Bible and God, but a Christian
Science friend was offering to help her in this direction. I knew that
though the help offer was genuine and sincere, yet it was “very sincerely
wrong.” So I sent Marie a return train ticket from Vancouver to Saskatoon,
trusting that God would speak to her through the Convention.

I had thought that anyone reading the Bible 8 and 12 hours a day would have
a good work of grace already started. But when I picked Marie up in
Saskatoon at the train station, I knew I was in for a time.

Her hair-do was beautiful, but it reminded me of Nefertiti of Egypt, wife
of Pharaoh Akhenaten, and perhaps a ruler in her own right after his death.

I knew that with her long ear-rings, purple lipstick and unusual flashing
dress – that when I brought her 90 miles northwest to a Pentecostal Camp
Ground, that much would break loose. It did!

Yet by November of that year back in Vancouver, Marie made a decision and
choice to follow Christ fully, and in December to let Him possess her by
His Holy Spirit.

 As one of the 7 elders at the Camp in July, I was much on the platform,
and then at the front ministering primarily to couples, but also some
singles, in Confirmation and Commissioning with the Laying on of Hands and
Prophecy.

I felt concerned with Marie sitting at the back, and following every
service many women would come wanting to get her to the front to be saved.
So I asked George Hawtin this afternoon if I could not sit with her. “But
we need the word God gives you,” he said, “for those ministered to with the
Presbytery Concept.”

But he understood my concern and relented. “Alright,” he said, “Sit with
her. But when we minister at the front, stand and give the word God gives
you from where you are.”

During the service they announced that they would Commission the Rosenkis
first as missionaries, and then the Shepherds. So as they ministered
according to their announcement for the Rosenkis, I stood and gave the word
I believed the Lord had given me for them and then sat again beside Marie.

Then they announced – “Now we will pray over the Rosenkis!” They had
switched the two couples without announcing to that effect. And – God did
NOT as He did for Jacob, show me to cross my hands. I had given the wrong
word to the wrong couple.

Following the service I sought out Ern Hawtin, and told him of my
devastating discovery. He knelt with me, counseled me and prayed with me. I
appreciated his love and concern, but I told him that until God showed me
why He hadn’t directed me as He did with Joseph and his 2 sons – I would be
seeking some very clear answers.

 Because of several doctrinal inroads early in this movement, I became
concerned. In April of the next year Marie and I severed connections, but
not until I had first thoroughly talked to one of the other elders,
explaining my concern, and why the possibility of a separation might take
place.

For 18 years I did not move in the stream that started in 1948. Then in
about 1963 I was invited to speak at a church in Everett WA. I felt I had
the message for that service when driving up from Kent. But enroute to
Everett the Lord said, “I want you to use the title of “True Guidance” for
your message tonight, and I want you to illustrate the necessity for My
perfect Guidance, by recounting what happened at North Battleford in July
of 1948, when you gave the wrong word over the wrong couple.”

“I can’t do that,” I said. “There will be two men in the meeting tonight
from North Battleford, and it would NEVER do to tell such a thing publicly.”

“DO it,” He said. I argued with him like a Dutch uncle. It normally took me
an hour to drive from my home in Kent to Everett. That night it took two
hours! And God wouldn’t change His mind.

When I sat on the platform that night – Sure enough – there were my two
acquaintances sitting in front of me.

I don’t know how I got through that service, but I obeyed God, and gave His
Word.

Then He said, Show the *safe way* way to get “True Guidance,” not just by
relying on prophecy – but by letting “My Word” be a Plumbline – to
evaluate, discern and correct ALL prophecy (1 Corinthians 14:29-33). Use
the Preface to George Muller’s “Answers to Prayer,” and his 6 point “How to
Ascertain the Will of God.” Here it is:

One. I SEEK at the beginning to get my heart into such a state that it has
no will of its own in regard to a given matter. Nine-tenths of the trouble
with people generally is just here. Nine-tenths of the difficulties are
overcome when our hearts are ready to do the Lord’s will, whatever it may
be. When one is truly in this state, it is usually but a little way to the
knowledge of what His will is.

Two. Having done this, I do not leave the result to *feeling* or *simple
impression*. If so, I make myself liable to great delusions.

Three. I seek the Will of the Spirit of God through, or in connection with,
the Word of God. The Spirit and the Word must be combined. If I look to the
Spirit alone with the Word, I lay myself open to great delusions also. If
the Holy Spirit guides us at all, He will do it according to the Scriptures
and never contrary to them.

Four. Next I take into account providential circumstances. These often
plainly indicate God’s Will in connection with His Word and Spirit.

Five. I ask God in prayer to reveal His Will to me aright.

Six. Thus, through prayer to God, the study of the Word, and reflection, I
come to a deliberate judgment according to the best of my ability and
knowledge, and if my mind is thus at peace, and continues so after two or
three more petitions, I proceed accordingly. In trivial matters, and in
transactions involving most important issues, I have found this method
always effective.

 Then God said – “Next use Muller’s Appendix A and his Five Conditions of
Prevailing Prayer.” Here they are:

One. ENTIRE DEPENDENCE upon the merits and mediation of the Lord Jesus
Christ as the only ground of any claim for blessing (See John 14:13, 14;
15:16, etc.)

Two. Separation from all known sin. If we regard iniquity in our hearts,
the Lord will not hear us, for it would be sanctioning sin. (Psalm 66:18.)

Three. Faith in God’s word of promise as confirmed by His oath. Not to
believe Him is to make Him both a liar and a perjurer. (Hebrews 11:6;
6:13-20.)

Four. Asking in accordance with His will. Our motives must be godly: we
must not seek any gift of God to consume it upon our lusts. (1 John 5:14;
James 4:3.)

Five. Importunity in supplication. There must be waiting on God and waiting
for God, as the farmer has long patience to wait for the harvest. (James
5:7; Luke 18:1-8; Luke 11:5-10; Daniel 10:12-14.)

 It is not enough to infallibly know God’s will by correcting any prophecy
that does not line up with God’s word. It is THEN necessary to *bring it to
pass*.

When God revealed to C. T. Studd of England on his way as a missionary to
China, that it was His will for him to marry a very fiery Salvation Army
miss – her response to his proposal was – “Charlie Studd, if you were the
last man on earth, I wouldn’t marry you!”

He went to the Lord and said, “Are you sure?” His response was – “She’s the
one – keep drilling!”

When they arrived in China he stopped at Shanghai and she went on to
Peking. He wrote, “Twelve reasons why you should marry me.” Answer: “13
reasons why I shouldn’t.” Each letter went up by one till they reached 20.
Then in desperation Charlie fasted and prayed for two weeks. Her next
letter – “Okay Charley – God got through to me – when do you want to get
married?”

 I returned home after that Everett service, somewhat beaten. Very soon
afterwards I was asked to speak to about 40 pastors in Portland Oregon at a
Full Gospel Business Men’s meeting. I had been advertised as a Baptist
pastor, which I was. I had graduated in 1952 from Northern Baptist
Theological Seminary of Chicago with an M.Div. (Master of Divinity) and
been assistant pastor of Tabernacle Baptist Church of Chicago, Pastor of
Kostner Avenue Baptist Church of Chicago and First Baptist Church of Round
Lake, Illinois.

I overheard one pastor say to another – “I wonder what this Charismatic
Baptist pastor thinks he’s going to educate us with?” But then God led me
to repeat the message on “True Guidance” I had given in Everett. This time
it was much easier telling stories on myself. I was learning the secret of
being crucified with Christ and becoming “dead” to myself.

Soon I heard my pastor friend say to his neighbor again – “THIS is no
Charismatic Baptist – THIS is an old dog in Pentecost!”

That meeting opened up doors for me in the greater Portland area that kept
me busy fulfilling them for a year.

 So WHY did God humble me by having me tell of this incident in 1948?
Because He was against prophecy? Not at all. He was absolutely serious to
let people hear – that in HIS sight it is MOST important that we are all
very careful and cautious about prophecy, dreams, and the gifts of the
Spirit. He could have had me cross my hands like Jacob with his two
grandsons in 1948 – but He DIDN’T. He was willing to humble me that I would
everlastingly be careful about the Gift of Prophecy, and that whenever He
indicated, I was to share what TRUE Guidance was in His estimation and
sight. His WORD is more sure than prophecy or dreams. I have heard too many
prophecies “MISS IT” in so-called “Presbytery Meetings,” that I feel sick
at times.

There was a Presbytery Meeting in Southern California on one occasion a
number of years ago. The chairman of the Presbytery prophesied over a
couple – “Thus says the Lord! Thou shalt be as pillars in this church. Here
you shall uplift the arms of the pastor as did Aaron and Hur for Moses. You
shall be as a tree planted by the rivers of underground water. When all is
dry around, your leaf shall not wither, and you will bring forth abundant
fruit.

“As long as you stay in this church as pillars for this pastor, you shall
be blessed. If you leave this church, you shall not lose your salvation –
but your greatest blessing is by continuing to abide here.

“Thus says the Lord.”

Afterwards the pastor said to the chairman, naming him by name. “I think we
might have missed it with this couple. We commissioned them as missionaries
to Japan last week.”

Response – “Well – you can’t hit it all of the time.”

 The above would NOT have happened if Presbytery had not been infiltrated
with tradition – departing from the 1948 standards, but MOST OF ALL from
the Bible standards. Modern practice in many circles does not allow the
Presbytery to know ANYTHING about the candidates prior to ministering to
them. This was NOT true of Timothy. Elders from 3 cities were well
acquainted with most everything about Timothy! It is testing God wrongly
NOT to let the Modern Presbytery know such facts – and much more.

God has given a word on December 20th, 2006, that He would be moving
swiftly from that date on to bring to maturity not only the Presbytery
concept, but all 12 of the 1948 Revival Principles that came together under
the hand especially of George Hawtin, with the 7 elders. At that time we
did NOT move in this modern concept. Neither did the Scriptures teach such.

The 5-fold ministries need to be carefully cautious not to be carried away
with fleshly enthusiasm that cannot be checked with Scripture, Providence
and the Spirit. The City Church concept in this area is a GREAT safeguard
here. One then doesn’t require outside traveling Presbyteries coming in and
being kept apart from all candidates to whom they are to minister. The
local pastor elders, who also double with all of the 5-fold, and serve the
needs of the City Church freely – THEY perform this service. Outside
prophets are *visitors*.

 *CONCLUSION*: Well – all of the above is because of a request today from a
Tacoma pastor. I wasn’t at first going to do much with it. Then again, I
got the 1963 word from God for Everett. “Spill the beans on your
embarrassment in July 1948. Give the correction of “TRUE Guidance” from
George Muller. And then trust ME to bring good out of evil.”

 Your friend – Jim Watt