The Return of God's Glory

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 09:06:42 PST 2012

January 29, 2012

 (“*TWO ARE BETTER THAN ONE” MINISTRIES*

*Jim & Marie Watt – Congregation Beth Chesed, Tacoma*

*Web: **www.2rbetter.org** - Email: **jmbetter at gmail.com*

*November 27, 2006)*

 *“THE RETURN OF GOD’S GLORY” – Bakht Singh*

 *INTRODUCTION: *In 1955 Hubert Mitchell introduced us to Bakht Singh. I
wanted a key Christian worker for each continent to pray for. He gave me
Nicholas Bhengu of Africa, a Zulu saint who founded some 3000 churches in
Africa averaging about 600 per church, with 6000 in New London. For America
at that time he recommended Billy Graham and for India, Bakht Singh. He
founded over 300 churches. He would move into a city with 50 workers. They
would often sleep on the train platform. They would pray much early morning
and late evening. They would visit homes during the day and invite people
to a meeting that night. In one month often 1500 confessed Jesus as Lord.
They would leave 4 to 6 workers to follow up, and take 4 to 6 of the new
converts to fill this gap, and then press on to a new town or city. This
team would found up to 12 churches a year – but other teams were doing the
same thing.

Each service lasted 5 hours: 2 hours for worship – 2 hours preaching and
teaching – one hour for the invitation. They then baptized the new converts
immediately according to Acts 2:38.

Hubert Mitchell put music to the words of Annie Johnson Flint – “He Giveth
More Grace”.

Following are excerpts from Chapter 2 of “The Return of God’s Glory”. 7
messages were given at this time in India to workers for WEC (World
Evangelization Crusade) founded by C. T. Studd while he served the Lord in
Africa. I found this book in my library by accident – up to this time
unread. I found it to be excellent, and trust you will also. – Jim Watt

 “*The glory is departed from Israel; for the ark of God is taken.” 1
Samuel 4:22.*

 “*Now when Solomon had made an end of praying, the fire came down from
heaven, and consumed the burnt offering and the sacrifices; and the glory
of the Lord filled the house.” 2 Chron. 7:1.*

 In the first sentence, we read that the glory was departed from Israel;
and in the second we see that the fire came down from heaven and the glory
of the Lord filled the house.

There are certain divine principles according to which God works. His glory
is seen only when we are willing to abide by those principles.

In Exodus 40 we see how the glory came by the fulfilling of those divine
principles. In verses 16, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27, 29, 32 and 33 we read this
phrase: -- “As the Lord commanded Moses.” And in the last verse, “So Moses
finished the work.” Then in Exodus 40:34, “And the glory of the Lord filled
the tabernacle.”

That fragment, “As the Lord commanded Moses”, is repeated as if the Lord
Himself was examining the whole work which had been done, and He was fully
satisfied in every small detail. It is only when the work is finished
according to God’s standard that the Glory comes down. That is how the
Bible defines the descent of the glory of God.

See what our Lord Himself says in John 4:34, “My meat is to do the will of
Him that sent me, and to finish His work.” It is only when a work is
finished according to God’s perfect revealed will, and according to His
heavenly plan, that at His command the GLORY COMES DOWN.

Just the mere manifestation of some power or miracle or sign is NOT God’s
glory. It is a finished and complete work, done according to His command
and order, which brings down the FULL GLORY of God.

How can we prove that God’s glory is among His people? First, let us look
at Numbers 7:89.

“And when Moses was gone into the tabernacle of the congregation to speak
with Him then he heard the voice of one speaking unto him from off the
mercy seat that was upon the ark of testimony, from between the two
cherubims: and He spoke unto him.”

>From the day that God’s glory had filled the tabernacle He began to speak
from between the cherubim, from above the mercy seat. God had spoken to
Moses before, from the burning bush: He spoke to him when He called him, on
the Mount, and there He gave him the whole law and the pattern for the
tabernacle. But now we find this speaking is different altogether. From now
onward God began to open His heart to Moses to reveal His whole mind, from
between the cherubim.

Here we get the proof that God’s glory was amongst His People. God was
speaking and He was making His mind clear to all those that came to Him. It
was the privilege of anybody among all the twelve tribes that for his
personal or family problems or for any other matter concerning the
congregation, he could go to Aaron, the high priest, and find out the mind
of God and the will of God.

Then Aaron would go to God and hear Him speaking from between the cherubim
above the mercy seat. God speaking is the one great proof that God’s glory
is among His people.

Secondly, let us read Numbers 9:15-23. “The cloud covered the tabernacle.”
This is the second great proof that God was with them in His full glory.
Their eyes were constantly upon the cloud resting upon the tent of the
congregation. Whether the cloud lifted in the morning or mid-day, or
evening, or midnight, the children of Israel moved only when the cloud
lifted. When the cloud tarried for a day or a week or a month or a year or
even longer, they had to stay; they could not move; but wherever the cloud
went, they had to go. By these two great signs we know that God’s glory was
dwelling amongst His people.

 Now we find in 1 Samuel 4:22 that the glory departed. There were many
causes responsible for that; and because of these causes, these people of
God lost their privileges one by one. The time came at last when God had to
leave them, -- for a time.

Let us consider a few of the causes that were responsible for the spiritual
decline of the people. Judges 21:25, “Every man did that which was right in
his own eyes.” The first great cause of their failure and their barrenness
was that “everyone did that which was right in his own eyes.”

Secondly, 1 Samuel 2:12-17. Here we see another cause. These sons of Eli
the high priest, began to despise the sacrifices; and not only that, they
began to use force. We are told in verse 13 that they had with them a
fleshhook of three teeth, to take away the flesh which was meant for God.

Nowadays, the very same thing is happening, through fleshhooks of three
teeth; that is, the honor that ought to be given to God is being given to
man, because of (a) Love for money; (b) Love for power; and (c) Love for
fame.

These are the three great teeth which are being used now by many people.
Many people do serve God, no doubt; but you find in their heart of hearts,
either they have love for money, love for power, or love for fame. They
will make any sacrifice, if only they can satisfy their desire for power,
or money, or name!

Also, we find that Eli knew all this! Yet, he would not rebuke his sons.
That is why God had to punish him so severely. See further in 1 Sam. 3:13 –
“For I have told him that I will judge his house for ever for the iniquity
which he knows; because his sons made themselves vile, and he did not
restrain them.”

He knew it. Nothing was hidden from him. No doubt he did tell them, “This
is not right!” But as the margin says: “He did not frown upon them, nor did
he rebuke them” As high priest, it was his duty; and when he found
corruption going on in the house of God, he ought to have strongly rebuked
his sons. But he did not frown upon them, nor rebuke them. For this cause,
we find that the glory departed from the house of God, and from Israel.

Then we see in 1 Samuel 4:1-6 that Eli knew that his sons were living in
sin, and yet he permitted them to carry the ark into the battlefield.

These are a few of the causes responsible for the barrenness and death
found in those days among God’s people. First of all, we see that every man
thought that whatever he did, was right! That is how the downfall began.

Secondly, when Eli knew that corruption had come into the house of God,
rather than firmly rebuking and punishing his children, he politely scolded
them: “Please don’t do it. It is not good for you.” It is like saying to a
thief, “Mr. Thief, don’t steal – it is not good for you.” Would he ever
listen to you? So God had to say to Eli that he was going to judge his
house once and for all!

Then we see the evil of these young men in that they carried the ark. They
were not only heedless and careless about what they were doing in the house
of God, but they were presuming to be leaders of Israel, in carrying the
ark!

In the same way today, we find so many ungodly men of wealth, position and
ability holding responsible positions in the churches and where God’s work
goes on! And THAT IS WHY THE GLORY HAS DEPARTED from among the people of
God.

Whatever the condition was in those days, you find the very same nowadays
throughout the world; we have to acknowledge that the glory has departed.
Look around the churches in India, America, Canada, Europe or in any other
part of the world, you will agree that this is true – God’s glory has
departed! God’s Word has become precious, or rare! In very few places are
people receiving good sermons and good teaching. They acquire a good
head-knowledge of the Scripture, but there are very few places where God’s
message is given in simplicity; where people say, “Hear ye what God says –
this is His message!”

And in those days, we read, God’s Word became precious. They had the
privilege of receiving God’s Word from the high priest but, he also became
spiritually deaf, dull and dumb. God’s message was not being given to him.
The people also became blind, and relied upon their own wisdom and judgment
in the work of God!

We find everywhere these days that these hooks of three teeth are used by
those who call themselves the servants of God. Leave aside modernists and
those who are the people of the world, even among the so-called
fundamentalists, we find the love for power and fame is there. That is why
they have to use force, appeal, and other cunning in advertising. They
glorify man in their love for name, or power or money.

It gives me a shock when I see servants of God begging for money.

Once in America, I heard a man, a good man, making an appeal for money. He
said: “Friends, we have arranged a banquet for young people; and we are
expecting ten thousand young people. This is an opportunity to give them
God’s Word. But we want ten thousand dollars within two days; and unless
you give liberally, we are going to be in a hole.”

Now you find almost all Americans in a ‘hole’ these days. They have to beg
for money. They beg through letters, reports, and other means. They beg,
and get what they beg for.

No one is justified in begging because it is God’s work for which they are
asking money. We believe in a living God, and preach a living God! If God
can forgive sins, He also can supply needs.

One day on the train, I saw a Hindu lady in the same compartment. She said
to me, “How can God meet your needs? You say that you don’t belong to any
society, how can God meet your needs?” I said, “Tell me, do you believe as
I told you before, that God forgave my sins? I gave you my testimony of how
I struggled hard and tried to get my sins forgiven by every possible means.
I was prepared to spend any amount of money and go anywhere to find someone
who could forgive my sins. But nobody could. The day came when I heard
these words clearly, ‘My son, your sins be forgiven you.’ I can tell you
again and again that the Lord Jesus Christ forgave my sins more than thirty
years ago; now can you tell me that your sins are forgiven?” She said, “No.
I can’t say that – I wish I could say so.” I said, “Well, if you believe
God forgave my sins, is it difficult for Him to supply my needs? The whole
amount of the world’s money could never have taken away my sins – they were
so many. If you believe God can forgive a sinner, it is very easy to
believe that the same living God can supply all my needs. I believe it. I
know it also by experience.”

 We do not have to ask for money; to do so is lack of faith. If we are
God’s servants, God will not fail His servants.

Sometimes it is not money, but fame that men are seeking. They want a big
report, so that people will say, “What a great work is being done by
So-and-so!”

Is it in a desire for fame, that we are working?

Now what was the condition in those days? Outwardly they were doing the
service of the house of God, but all the time they were grabbing the things
of God, and robbing God of His glory. Thus the GLORY was departed from
among God’s people.

I have come across so many of God’s servants, who have told me very sadly,
“Why is it, brother, we work so hard, we are fundamentalists; we believe in
God’s Word; we live a simple life; why can’t we see God’s glory?” THE GLORY
HAS DEPARTED

However, we read also in God’s Word that the same glory which departed,
came back. We see this is 2 Chronicles 7:1. God not only tells us of our
failure; but He also has a remedy for everything. God exposes sin in very
plain language; there is no book in the world which uncovers and exposes
sin in the language that the Bible does!

How horrible and terrible is sin! God uncovers it, but He also has a remedy
for it!

Now we find that as we read the six books from the first book of Samuel
through to the end of second Chronicles, we come across the names of four
people who play a very important part in bringing back that departed Glory.

 *In our next mailing we will talk about the first of these four people,
and the important principle that she learned and practiced that pleased God!
*

*NOTE*: *The above message was given while Marie and I were still leading
in Congregation Beth Chesed in November 11, 2006. I ran across it in my
files yesterday, and felt the Spirit leading for me to share it once again
- Jim Watt*

* *