Deuteronomy 27-30 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 09:17:22 PST 2012

January 5, 2012

 *APR 7 - DEUTERONOMY 27-30 - RENEWAL OF COVENANT*

 *1. 27:9-10 (27:1-13) LAW: RENEWED AND MEMORIALIZED. “Then Moses and the
Levitical priests said to all Israel, 'Keep silence and hear, O Israel:
this day you have become the people of the LORD your God. 10 You shall
therefore obey the voice of the LORD your God, keeping his commandments and
his statutes, which I command you today.'” *This is like resurrection day
for Israel: the day of their becoming Your people Father, as Your Son on
His resurrection! Now Israel is of age as the new generation, *a Kingdom
People*, and responsible to obey! *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 27:15 (27:14-26) LAW: CURSES FOR DISOBEDIENCE. “Cursed is the man who
makes a carved or cast metal image, an abomination to the LORD, a thing
made by the hands of a craftsman, and sets it up in secret.” And all the
people shall answer and say, “Amen.” **Idolatry* is the *first* and *
greatest* curse of this portion. Images to worship are an *abomination* to
You, Father! O may we hear this word, destroy our idols, and do Your will
on earth as it is in heaven. *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 28:12b-14 (28:1-14) LAW: BLESSINGS ON OBEDIENCE. “And you shall lend
to many nations, but you shall not borrow. 13 And the LORD will make you
the head and not the tail, and you shall only go up and not down, if you
obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you today,
being careful to do them, 14 and if you do not turn aside from any of the
words that I command you today, to the right hand or to the left, to go
after other gods to serve them.” *Here we see Your blessings on obedience,
Father: *full provision* in all aspects! *Your :will be done, As in heaven,
so on earth!*

 *4. 28:23 (28:15-68) LAW: CURSES INTENSIFIED. “And the heavens over your
head shall be bronze, and the earth under you shall be iron.” *How terrible
the fruit of disobedience! Here we see spelled out in frightening detail
all Your judgment, Father. O forgive us, that we force You to bring such
things upon us because of our rebellion and self-will! *Our :daily :bread
Give us this day!*

 *5. 29:12-13a (29:1-13) LAW OF THE COVENANT. “So that you may enter into
the sworn covenant of the LORD your God, which the LORD your God is making
with you today, 13a that he may establish you today as his people, and that
he may be your God.” *This is over and above the covenant of the law at
Sinai, and as with the Abrahamic Covenant, You confirmed this new one with
the new generation of Israel with an oath! May we *always* take You
seriously, Father! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our
:debtors.*

 *6. 29:29 (29:14-29) LAW: A WARNING AND MEMORIAL. “The secret things
belong to the LORD our God, but the things that are revealed belong to us
and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law.” *Israel
must be without excuse if they forsake You Father, and run unto sin! You
have spelled it out so clearly. May we in our day *not forsake* Your *New
Covenant*! *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 30:14 (30:1-20) LAW: WORD OF CONFESSION. “But the word is very near
you. It is in your mouth and in your heart, so that you can do it.” *The
high confession here concerns the fulfillment of Jesus' coming at Calvary
and Pentecost, though there was a lesser fulfillment at the time for
Israel. *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 29:1 (29:1-13) COVENANT WORDS IN ADDITION TO SINAI. “These are
the words of the covenant that the LORD commanded Moses to make with the
people of Israel in the land of Moab, besides the covenant that he had made
with them at Horeb.” *This is an appropriate new covenant for the new
generation, which supersedes in promise the covenant made at Mount Sinai.

 Some Christian believers want nothing to do with the Old Testament. This
is wrong! We must remember that the complete New Testament was not
available to the church until about 90 A.D. Apostles, teachers, pastors and
parents *all* used the Old Testament in the beginning, because that was *all
* they had! They knew how to rightly divide the Word of Truth. Because of
Acts 15 and soon, Galatians, they knew how to protect Gentile believers
from the legalism of OT law!

 Was this easy to do? Of course not! - and errors were made. And Judaizers
arose who tried to force Gentile men believers to be circumcised before
being fully accepted in the church at the beginning. Did God know these
problems would arise! Of course! Through *many* dangers, toils and snares
we have already come1 But *grace* has brought us safe thus far - and *grace*
*will bring* us home!

 See 27:15 above - A little girl in Spain was attending one of George
Muller's Christian Schools. Her knowledge of the Bible drew the attention
of a priest. He asked her, “How is it you know the Bible so well?” She told
him it was because she was attending this special school.” “What do they
teach you about the ten commandments”, he asked. And she quoted to him the
above verse. He stopped her and said, “That's *not* the way we believe it!”
But she responded - “But *that's* the way it reads in the Bible!”

 Look above at 28:12b-14. One teacher outlined a 7-fold weekly prayer based
on the major 7 compound-Names of Jehovah. *This* portion was made part of
one of these 7 days. After several months of reading this once a week, one
wife said to her husband: “If you read these versus once again, I'm going
to scream!

 Because of this reaction, *that is why* since 1985 I have been preparing
this “Through the Bible in a Year” Daily Devotional! I have however put
down at the end of each day's reading - one-seventh of the Lord's Prayer.
Jesus said, After this manner, *Pray*! It is good for us to daily pray a
portion of the prayer Jesus gave His disciples to pray. And *we* are
descendants of these disciples, so it is for *us* too!

 Consider too 30:14 above. The apostle Paul quotes this verse in Romans 10.
See how wisely the apostle *applies* this Old Testament verse for New
Testament believers!

 And now, our Psalm for the day: *97:11-12 (1-12) THE LORD REIGNS! “Light
is sown for the righteous, and joy for the upright in heart. 12 Rejoice in
the LORD O you righteous, and give thanks to his holy name! *Father, You
reign over the universe in awesome Majesty and Power! You execute
*right*judgment, and do right by Your saints. We rest in You
completely.
*Hallowed be your :name!*