Deuteronomy 12-20 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 09:55:18 PST 2012

January 3, 2012

 *APR 5 - DEUTERONOMY 12-20 - REVIEW OF INSTRUCTIONS*

 *1. 12:32 (12:1-14:2) RELIGIOUS LAWS: IDOLATRY AND FALSE PROPHECY.
“Everything that I command you, you shall be careful to do. You shall not
add to it or take from it” (ESV). **This word* is *Your Plumbline*, Father.
By this we evaluate all our words, actions and thoughts. Those who do not
bring all things to Your word for confirmation - or would change, set
aside, diminish or add to Your Word - have *falsehood* in their heart!
*Hallowed
be your :name!*

 *2. 14:3, 6 (14:3-21) DIETARY LAWS. “You shall not eat any
abomination. 6Every animal that parts the hoof and has the hoof cloven
in two and chews
the cud, among the animals, you may eat.” *New Testament saints are not
under Old Testament dietary laws for Israel. However, these laws were not
given by caprice by You, Father. There is wisdom here, if we choose to
hear. *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 14:22 (14:22-29) RELIGIOUS LAWS: TITHES. “You shall tithe all the
yield of your seed that comes from the field year by year.” *Tithes and
offerings are the *minimum* for a New Testament saint! *All* is Yours
Father, under the New Covenant, and You can draw on it by our faith as
occasion demands! Do we believe this? You promise abundance as we tithe. 2
Corinthians 8-9 is our New Testament guide! *Your :will be done, As in
heaven, so on earth!*

 *4. 15:6 (15:1-17:13) SABBATH, FEASTS AND RELIGIOUS LAWS. “For the LORD
your God will bless you, as he promised you, and you shall lend to many
nations, but you shall not borrow, and you shall rule over many nations,
but they shall not rule over you.” *And what are the conditions to warrant
these promises, Father? To *walk* in Your Word! O forgive us that we treat
You, Your Word and Your ways so lightly, transgressing against them, and
doing our own thing! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 17:18 (17:14-20) KINGDOM LAWS. “And when he sits on the throne of his
kingdom, he shall write for himself in a book a copy of this law, approved
by the Levitical priests.” *All leaders ought to take care to master Your
Word, Father. Our judgment is only right as it is in accordance with Your
Word. O be with us when we are tempted to depart from Your right way of
doing things! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our
:debtors!*

 *6. 18:18-19 (18) RELIGIOUS LAWS: LEVITES, PRIESTS AND PROPHETS. “I will
raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers. And I will
put my words in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I command
him. 19 And whoever will not listen to my words that he shall speak in my
name, I myself will require it of him.” *What a solemn word! Father, we
listen to and *obey Jesus* Your Prophet in this. *And bring us not into
temptation!*

 *7. 19:20-21 (19-20) CIVIL LAWS. “And the rest shall hear and fear, and
shall never again commit any such evil among you. 21 Your eye shall not
pity. It shall be life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for
hand, foot for foot.” *False witnesses are an *abomination* to You Father,
and deserve to have done to them what they desired for others! See Hitler
as a false witness against the Jews! And Haman! Your justice *finally comes*,
Father! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 13:3 (12:1-14:2) WARNING CONCERNING PROPHETS AND DREAMERS. “You
shall **not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams.
For the LORD your God is testing you, to know whether you love the LORD
your God with all your heart and with all your soul.” *Note: *this* is what
the LORD did with Hezekiah (2 Chronicles 32:31). How would any of us stand
under such a test?

 Deuteronomy is a review of Genesis through Numbers. It is a briefer
outline what God through Moses gave to the first generation of Israel that
He delivered from Pharaoh and Egypt. Deuteronomy is for the *new generation*,
that Israel thought would prevent them from entering the Promised Land! Now
*they* are hearing what their fathers failed to follow in the 40 year's
wandering in the wilderness. Only *two* of that generation crossed Jordan
into Canaan-land - Joshua and Caleb.

 And did this new generation who saw the Wilderness miracles of manna,
water out of a Rock and much more - follow through? Actually, No! When
Joshua and the elders had successfully led this new generation to possess
the land of seven nations all greater than they - then *they too* forsook
Jehovah and His ways! The Book of Judges tells of 7 severe judgments from
God upon succeeding generations.

 Then Paul in Galatians and his other epistles - clearly reveals that the
law has been replaced with a *New Covenant*. God for the church writes His
law *on our hearts* by His Spirit. All who live by Galatians 2:20 and the
rest of this letter - are then *above* the law. Paul to Timothy reveals
that the law to Israel is for *sinners*! It keeps them in line until they
have sense enough to accept Christ as *Lord* and Savior, and by the Gift (d*
o*-reA) of the Holy Spirit - and see Jesus *live out* through them His
Resurrected life of Glory and Overcoming Life.

 And let us consider carefully God's warning concerning false prophets and
dreams. If *anything* they counsel is *contrary* to God's total Word - *
forsake* such words. God through them is *testing* us.

 Are these things easy to understand? Not at all. *Only* by God's
indwelling Spirit through fully-surrendered saints - do these things become
clear. Rees Howells, Oswald Chambers and George Muller fully understood
these lessons. *They* forsook the *broad way* of the *self-life*, and
accepted the challenge of God's *narrow way* of life! *Few* like them do
so! Jesus said so! The above 3 saints agree that this is so. *But* - the
invitation is freely offered to you and me. Let us consider the *light
cost*- pay it - and enter into God's
*abundant* life!

 And now - our Psalm for the day: *95:1-2 (95:1-11) LET US SING SONGS OF
PRAISE! “Oh come, let us sing to the LORD; let us make a joyful noise to
the rock of our salvation! 2 Let us come into his presence with
thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise!” *Oh
that Your people always had it in their heart to worship You *this* way,
Father! Then would we *soon* enter into Your rest and *Hallow Your :name*!
We would not then be tempting You in the wilderness!