John 21 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 10:25:43 PST 2011

November 26, 2011

 *APR 2 - JOHN 21 - JESUS: PROVIDES FOR THOSE WHO FOLLOW*

 *1. 21:6 (21:1-8) JESUS: WORKS A FISHING MIRACLE! And he said to them,
“Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you shall find. They cast
therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of
:fishes” (NNT). *Father, You in Christ supercede all of us in our
professions. You know *all* things, and do *all* things well. We magnify
You in Your Son! *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 2:12 (21:9-14) JESUS: PREPARES A BREAKFAST. Jesus said to them, “Come
break your fast. None of the disciples dared inquire of him, Who are you?
knowing that it was the Lord.” *Jesus did not need their fish to make their
breakfast! We are in awe of You, Father. Your ways are past finding out. We
worship You in humility. *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 2:17 (21:15-17) JESUS: TESTS THE LOVE OF PETER. He [Jesus] said to him
the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me? :Peter was grieved
because he said to him the third time, Do you love (phLEo) me? and he said
to him, Lord, YOU know all things; YOU know that I love you. Jesus said to
him, Feed my little sheep.” *It wasn't the third question of Jesus that
bothered Peter: it was that Jesus moved down the third time from “Agape”
love to “Phile” love. O help us too to receive Your searching questions,
Father! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 21:19 (21:18-19) JESUS: FORETELLS THE DEATH OF PETER. “Now this he
spoke, signifying by what manner of death he shall glorify :God. And when
he had spoken this, he said to him, “Follow me.”*

Father, You know all things! You know both the time and the manner of our
death. For some of us like Peter, it helps to know these things aforetime:
for some it is better that we walk by naked faith! *Your :will be done, As
in heaven, so on earth.*

 *5. 21:22 (21:20-23) JESUS: DISCOURAGES INTEREST IN FUTURE OF OTHERS.
:Jesus said to him, “If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to
you? YOU follow me.” *Personal, passionate devotion to Jesus: *this* is
Your will for us Father, and *not* that we should have undue concern with
Your dealings for our brother! O forgive us that we fail to maintain that
abiding place with You in Your presence, when we become unduly interested
in Your dealings with others! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have
forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 21:24 JESUS: CAREFULLY WITNESSED TO BY JOHN. “This is the disciple
that witnesses of these things, and wrote these: and we know that his
:witness is true.” *Father, we thank You for the faithfulness, spirituality
and deep perception of John. We covet to be close to Jesus the way John
was. *And bring us not into temptation.*

 7. 21:25 JESUS: AMAZING NUMBER OF HIS MIRACLES. “And many other
*things*also are which :Jesus did, the which if they be written every
one, I
suppose that not even the world itself would contain the books written.” This
is an amazing testimony, Father. The world is full of books, but the three
years of Jesus' ministry outshines them all! *But deliver us from the evil*one.

 *NOTE**: 21:23 (21:20-23) JESUS: HIS REPLY TO PETER MISINTERPRETED. “This
:saying therefore went forth among the brethren, that that :disciples does
not die: yet :Jesus said not to him, that he does not die; but, If I will
that he tarry till I come, what **is that to you?” *And who started this
rumor based on misconception? Peter? Father, keep us careful with our
words. Set a watch before our lips!

 So we finish together the last chapter of John. The part in it that
intrigues me the most - is Jesus' 3-fold question to Peter. I have shared
insights on this in the past. Some may wonder - does he remember that he
has gone into this before? Yes - and in doing so I am following the example
of Derek Prince who said - “One of the laws of Pedagogy is *Repetition*.”
Sometimes it's the 100th time we hear something that it clicks, and we
truly see the significance of it all.

 It's *not* the fact that Jesus questioned Peter 3 times concerning his
love to his Master that disturbed him - it was that He changed the Greek
word for “love” the third time! The first time He asked Peter if he loved
(a-gaPA*o*) Him? Yes - Peter replied. I love You on the human level (phiLE*o
*), not the divine level. Feed my little lambs, Jesus responded.

 The second time of questioning went through the same use of Greek verbs,
with the response, “Tend my little sheep”.

 *But* - *the third time* - Jesus came down to Peter's human level and
asked, “Peter - do you even love (phiLE*o*) Me on the human level? This
deeply wounded Peter, and he responded with grief - “Yes Lord, You
*know*that though I can't yet love You on the divine level (a-gaPA
*o*) - at least - I truly do love you on the human level (phiLE*o*). And
Jesus' response was, “Feed my little sheep.”

 I suppose the significance of this 3-fold questioning was in line with
Peter's previous *3-fold denial*! I am sure Peter caught this significance.

 If you look up on our Website *<www.2rbetter.org>* and click on
“Interlinear” and scroll down to John 21, you can see very clearly there
the context for the above.

 And now - our Psalm for the day - *91:14-15 (91:1-16) MY REFUGE AND MY
FORTRESS. “Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will
protect him, because he knows my name. 15 When he calls to me, I will
answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him”
(ESV). *Father, You did this for Your only begotten Son in His flesh; and
because we are in Him, in Christ, You will do it for us also! Therefore
with joy and gratefulness *we hallow your :name!*