John 20 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 10:20:50 PST 2011

November 21, 2011

 *APR 1 - JOHN 20 - JESUS: HIS RESURRECTION*

 *1. 20:1 (20:1-2) JESUS' SEPULCHRE: VISITED BY WOMEN. “Now on the first **day
**of the week comes Mary :Magdalene early, while it was yet dark, unto the
tomb, and sees the stone taken away from the tomb” (NNT).* How gracious
Father, that Jesus revealed Himself after His resurrection to women first!
Indeed in Christ, there is neither male nor female. We accept Your right to
do whatever You purpose! *Hallowed be your :name.* * *

 *2. 20:8-9 (20:3-10) JESUS: HIS BODY REMOVAL REPORTED. “Then went in
therefore the other disciple also, who came first to the tomb, and he saw,
and believed. 9 For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise
again from the dead.” *Father, grant us sensitivity to You; so that when we
see, we may *perceive* its true significance! *You :kingdom come!*

 *3 20:17 (20:11-18) JESUS: APPEARS TO MARY MADGALENE. “Jesus said to her,
Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended unto the Father: but go to my
:brethren, and tell them, I ascend unto my :Father and your Father, and my
God and your God.” *How *one* Your Son has made Himself with us, Father! We
marvel at His condescension, grace and love. And *You* were in Him
reconciling the world to Yourself! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on
earth!*

 *4. 20:22-23 (20:19-23) JESUS: IMPARTS HOLY SPIRIT TO DISCIPLES. “And on
saying this, he breathed on them, and said to them, Receive the Holy
Spirit; 23 whoever :sins you forgive, they are forgiven them; whoever you
retain, they are retained.” *This is the breath of Jesus. Soon came the
breath of the Spirit. When *You* breathe on us at the end of this age in
Tabernacles, Father, it will be *life from the dead*! O forgive us that we
are so blind in perceiving the significance of these things. *Our :daily
:bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 20:24-25 JESUS: DISBELIEVED BY THOMAS. “But Thomas, one of the twelve,
:called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 The other disciples
therefore said to him, We have seen the Lord. But he said to them, Except I
shall see in his :hands the print of the nails, and put my :finger into the
print of the nails, and put my :hand into his :side, I will in nowise
believe.” *Many men believed the Samaritan woman without seeing Jesus. But
some like Thomas had to see Him to believe. Your Son Father, is most
glorified when we believe without seeing! *And forgive us our :debts, As we
also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 20:27 (20:26-29) JESUS: CONVINCES THOMAS. “Then said he to :Thomas,
Reach here your :finger, and see my :hands; and reach your :hand, and
put itinto my :side: and be not unbelieving, but believing.”
*Thomas would not touch when he saw. Yet he would have been more blessed
had he believed without seeing. Father, we would be most pleasing to Jesus,
with *complete abandonment*! *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 20:30-31 JESUS: SIGNS ENCOURAGE BELIEF. “Many other signs therefore
did :Jesus before the disciples, which are not written in this :book:
31but these are written, that you may believe that Jesus is the
Christ, the
Son of :God; and that believing you may have life in his :name.” *The signs
of Jesus always pointed to a deeper truth. Father, open our eyes that we
might see! *And deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 20:28-29 (20:26-29) JESUS: MILDLY REBUKES THOMAS. “Thomas
answered and said to him, My :Lord and my :God. **29 :Jesus said to him,
Because you have seen me, have you believed? blessed they that have not
seen, and have believed.” *This is a searching response by Jesus!

 The Holy Spirit through Paul in 1 Corinthians 15 makes it eminently clear
that the sacrificial death of Jesus is sealed and made effective by His
Resurrection. See a portion of this in 15:12-34, which is self-explanatory.

 *B. 15:12-34 RESURRECTION: AN ESSENTIAL ELEMENT OF THE GOSPEL*

*1. 15:12-19 CHRIST'S RESURRECTON: BASIS FOR OUR RESURRECTION*

*a. 15:12 CHRIST'S RESURRECTION: PROOF THAT WE TOO SHALL RISE*

*Now if Christ is preached that he has been raised from the dead,*

Ei de ChrisTOS k*e*RUSse-tai [2784] HOti ek neKR*O*N [3498] eG*E*ger-tai
[1453],

*how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?*

p*o*s LEgou-sin en huMIN tiNES HOti aNASta-sis [386] neKR*O*N ouk EStin?

 *b. 15:13-14 CHRIST'S RESURRECTION: ESSENTIAL LEST GOSPEL IN VAIN*

*But if there is no resurrection of the dead, neither has Christ been
raised:*

ei de aNAsta-sis neKR*O*N ouk EStin, ouDE ChrisTOS eG*E*ger-tai:

*14 and if Christ has not been raised, then is our preaching void, and our
faith also is void.*

ei de ChrisTOS ouk eG*E*ger-tai, keNON Ara to K*E*rug-ma h*e*M*O*N, keN*E*kai h
*e* PIStis h*e*M*O*N.

 *c. 15:15 APOSTLES: FALSE WITNESSES IF CHRIST ROSE NOT*

*Yes, we are found false witnesses of :God;*

heu-risKOme-tha de kai pseu-doMARtu-res [5575] tou TheOU;

*because we witnessed for :God that he raised the Christ:*

HOti e-mar-tuR*E*sa-men [3140] kaTA tou TheOU HOti *E*gei-ren ton ChrisTON:

*whom he raised not, if so be that the dead are not raised.*

hon ouk *E*gei-ren, EIper Ara neKROI ouk eGEIron-tai.

 *d. 15:16-17 VANITY OF FAITH: IF CHRIST ROSE NOT*

*For if the dead are not raised, neither has Christ been raised:*

ei gar neKROI ouk eGEIron-tai, ouDE ChrisTOS eG*E*ger-tai:

*17** and if Christ has not been raised, your :faith is vain; *

ei de ChrisTOS ouk eG*E*ger-tai, maTAIa [3152] h*e* PIStis huM*O*N esTIN;

*you are yet in your :sins.*

 Eti esTE en tais ha-marTIais huM*O*N.

 *e. 15:18 Then also those fallen asleep in Christ have perished.*

Ara kai hoi koi-m*e*THENtes [2837] en ChrisT*O* aP*O*lon-to [622].

 *f. 15:19 CHRIST'S RESURRECTION IS ESSENTIAL FOR OUR FUTURE*

*If we have in this :life only hoped in Christ,*

ei en t*e* z*o*-*E* [2222] TAUt*e* en ChrisT*O* *e*l-piKOtes [1679] esMEN
MOnon,

*we are of all men rather pitiable.*

e-le-eiNOte-roi [1652] PANt*o*n anTHR*O*p*o*n esMEN.

 *2. 15:20-28 ORDER OF EVENTS PRIOR TO AND AFTER RESURRECTION*

*a. 15:20 But now has Christ been raised from the dead, first fruit of those
asleep.*

NuNI de ChrisTOS eG*E*ger-tai ek neKR*O*N, a-parCH*E* [536] t*o*n ke-koi-m*e
*MEn*o*n [2837].

 *b. 15:21 For since by man is death, by man is also resurrection of thedead.
*

e-peiD*E* gar di' anTHR*O*pou THAna-tos, kai di' anTHR*O*pou aNAsta-sis neKR
*O*N.

 *c. 15:22 ADAM BROUGHT DEATH: CHRIST BRINGS LIFE*

*For as in :Adam all die,*

H*O*Sper gar en t*o* A-DAM PANtes a-poTHN*E*skou-sin [599],

*so also in the Christ shall all be made alive.*

HOUt*o*s kai en t*o* ChrisT*O* PANtes z*o*-o-poi-*e*THN*E*son-tai [2227].

 *d. 15:23 CHRIST'S RESURRECTION IS FIRST IN ORDER: THEN OURS*

*But each in his :own order: Christ a first fruit;*

HEkas-tos de en t*o* iDI*o* TAGma-ti [5001]: a-parCH*E* [536] ChrisTOS;

*then they that are the Christ's, at his :presence.*

Epei-ta hoi tou ChrisTOU, en t*e* pa-rouSIa [3952] auTOU.

 *e. 15:24 AFTER OUR RESURRECTION, GOD BECOMES ALL IN ALL*

*Then the end, when he shall deliver up the kingdom to the God and Father;*

EIta to TElos [5056], HOtan pa-ra-diD*O* [3860] t*e*n ba-siLEIan [932] t*o*The
*O* kai paTRI;

*when he shall have abolished all rule and all authority and power.*

HOtan ka-tarG*E*s*e* [2673] PAsan arCH*E*N [746] kai PAsan e-xouSIan
[1849]kai DUna-min
[1411].

 *f. 15:25 For he must reign, till he put all his :enemies under his :feet.*

dei gar auTON ba-siLEUein, Achri hou th*e* PANtas tous echTHROUS huPO tous
POdas auTOU.

 *g. 15:26 The enemy to be abolished last is :death.*

EScha-tos echTHROS [2190] ka-tarGEItai [2673] ho THAna-tos [2288].

 *h. 15:27a. For, He subjected all things under his :feet.*

PANta gar huPEta-xen [5293] huPO tous POdas auTOU.

 *i.. 15:27b CHRIST IS NOT SUBJECT TO ANYTHING*

*But when he says that all the things are subjected, *

HOtan de EIp*e* HOti PANta hu-poTEtak-tai [5293],

*it is evident that he is excepted who did subject :all things to him.*

D*E*lon HOti ekTOS tou hu-poTAxan-tos auT*O* ta PANta.

 *j. 15:28 AFTER OUR RESURRECTION, CHRIST WILL SUBJECT HIMSELF TO GOD*

*And when all the things have been subjected to him,*

HOtan de hu-po-taG*E* auT*O* ta PANta,

*then also the Son shall himself be subjected to him*

TOte kai auTOS ho huiOS hu-po-taG*E*se-tai

*that did subject all the things to him, that :God be all in all.*

t*o* hu-poTAxan-ti auT*O* ta PANta, HIna *e* ho TheOS PANta en PAsin.

 *3. 15:29-34 APART FROM RESURRECTION, HOLY LIVING IS FUTILE*

*a. 15:29a Else what shall they do that are baptized for the dead?*

E-PEI ti poi*E*sou-sin hoi bap-tiZOme-noi [907] huPER t*o*n neKR*O*N?

 *b. 15:29b-30 IF NO RESURRECTION, BAPTISM IS MEANINGLESS*

*If the dead are not raised at all, why then are they baptized for them?*

ei HOl*o*s neKROI ouk eGEIron-tai [1453], ti kai bapTIzon-tai huPER auT*O*N?

*30 why are WE also in peril every hour?*

ti kai h*e*MEIS kin-duNEUo-men [2793] PAsan H*O*ran [5610]?

 *c. 15:31 PAUL MAKES HIS BAPTISM VALID DAILY*

*I protest by your glorying, brethren,*

kath' h*e*MEran a-poTHN*E*Sk*o* [599], n*e* t*e*n hu-meTEran KAUch*e*-sin
[2746], a-delPHOI,

*which I have in Christ Jesus our :Lord, I die daily.*

h*e*n Ech*o* en ChrisT*O* I*e*SOU t*o* KuRI*o* h*e*M*O*N.

 *d. 15:32a If :after man's manner I fought beasts at Ephesus, what does it
profit me?*

ei kaTA ANthr*o*-pon e-th*e*-ri-oMAch*e*-sa [2341] en E-PHEs*o*, ti moi to
Ophe-los [3786]?

 *e. 15:32b If the dead are not raised, let us eat and drink, for to-morrow
we die.*

ei neKROI ouk eGEIron-tai, PHAg*o*-men [5315] kai PI*o*-men, AUri-on gar
a-poTH*E*Sko-men [599].

 *f. 15:33 Be not deceived: Evil companionships corrupt good morals.*

 m*e* plaNASthe [4105]: PHTHEIrou-sin [5351] *E*th*e* chr*e*sTA ho-miLIai
[3657] kaKAI.

 *g. 15:34 WITHOUT RESURRECTION KNOWLEDGE, WE ARE TEMPTED TO SIN*

*Awake to soberness righteously, and sin not;*

ekN*E*psa-te [1594] diKAI*o*s [1345], kai m*e* ha-marTAne-te [264];

*for some have no knowledge of God: I speak to shame you.*

ag-n*o*SIan [56] gar TheOU tiNES Echou-sin: pros en-troP*E*N [1791] huMIN
laL*O*.

 *NOTE**:* 1 Corinthians 15:12-19. Our Lord Jesus knew what He was doing
when He chose Paul to be His apostle to the Gentiles. For though He was
able through the fully submitted Paul to say exactly what He wanted this
primarily Gentile church to hear - yet at the same time He was able to use
all the natural giftings of Paul to say His word through him! *This* is the
miracle of the infallible inspiration of the 66 books of our Bible. It is *
God* using *men* to infallibly set forth *His thinking* on all subjects
expressed. Bible Numerics undergirds and confirms this great miracle.

 This particular passage shows forth this rare combination of God speaking
through man to express the tremendous importance of Christ's resurrection
as the basis of ours to follow.

 15:22 became a rare verse to answer George Hawtin's dilemma. *How* could *one
man* answer the need of every

man of the human race? But if *one man*, Adam, brought sin's contamination
into the entire human race, then God could use one man, His only begotten
Son, to atone for all what Adam introduced into our human race!

 Scriptures clearly teach that God is the Father of the *spirits* of all
men. It matters not our racial background as human beings - we are *all* of
one family. We are all of one blood. Each individual can safely receive
blood transfusions from any other individual of the human race. (Of course,
differences in blood types must still be considered.)

 According to *spirit* and according to *blood*, I am brother to every
other member of the human race. Then when we enter the Kingdom of God by
justification by faith, we enter into another and higher dimension.

 15:29-34. The Lord's final concluding thought here through Paul is clear.
The resurrection of Christ and His Ascension, and the Father sending the
Holy Spirit through the Son, successfully erases the futility that
otherwise would render holy living impossible.

 And of course, the difficult passage of 15:29-30 and baptism for the dead
- finds answer through the above. Various commentators have clearly seen
how to make clear and simple this passage, and it is *not* the Mormon
answer.

 Then - 15:33-34 shows that we must fellowship with friends who are
vertically related with God and Christ - and horizontally one with another
- in the light of this passage. Friends *not* related by
*vertical*covenant with God, and
*horizontal* covenant with one another - will have their morals in
jeopardy.

 Lastly, our Psalm for the day: *91:14-15 (91:1-16) MY REFUGE AND MY
FORTRESS. “Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will
protect him, because he knows my name. **15** When he calls to me, I will
answer him; I** will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor
him” (ESV). *Father, You did this for Your only begotten Son in His flesh;
and because we are in Him, in Christ, You will do it for us also! Therefore
with great joy and gratefulness we *Hallow your :name!** *

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES - Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/ *