Luke 15

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 12:24:25 PDT 2011

October 14, 2011

 *MAR 7 - LUKE 15 - THE LOST: VALUABLE IN GOD'S SIGHT*

 *1. 15:1-2 SINNERS: DISDAINED BY PHARISEES. “ Now all the publicans and
sinners were drawing near to him to hear him. 2 And both the Pharisees and
the scribes murmured, saying that, This man receives sinners, and eats with
them.” *When the Kingdom of God is presented with demonstration and power,
it brings forth questioning, controversy and persecution. This Father, is
because of the fallen nature of man, and because some are tares! *Hallowed
be your :name!*

 *2. 17:7 (15:3-7) SINNERS: LIKE LOST SHEEP. “I say unto you, that
thus morejoy shall be in :heaven over one repenting sinner, than over
ninety-nine
righteous, who need no repentance.” *We see from heaven's vantage point how
angels and saints look upon the repentance and return of lost sinners.
Father, this glorifies You, and fits into *Your* pattern! *Your :kingdom
come!*

 *3. 15:10 (15:8-10) SINNERS: LIKE A LOST COIN. “Thus, I say unto you,
thereis joy before the angels of :God over one repenting sinner.”
*We realize the value of a coin, and when it is lost, we appreciate greatly
its restoration. Angels feel the same about a repenting sinner. *Your :will
be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 15:11-12 (15:11-16) PRODIGAL: WASTED HIS OPPORTUNITY. “And he said, A
certain man had two sons: 12 and the younger of them said to the father,
Father, give me the portion of the substance that falls to me. And he
divided for them his :living.” *Many individuals and movements commercialize
God's free gifts, even as did the prodigal son. O forgive us Father, that in
our immaturity and selfishness, we fail to see the example of Jesus, and how
He put stewardship and a servant spirit above Himself! *Our :daily :bread
Give us this day.*

 *5. 15:18-19 (15:17-21) PRODIGAL: HIS REPENTANCE. “I will arise and go to
my :father, and say to him, Father, I have sinned against :heaven, and in
your sight: 19 I am no more worthy to be called your son: make me as one of
your hired :servants.” *Father, may we learn like the Prodigal not to say
first 'Give me,' but '*make me*'. May we not be tempted by the standards of
the world, or of our own carnality! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also
have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 15:23b-24 (15:22-24) PRODIGAL: HIS FATHER'S ACCEPTANCE. “and let us
eat, and make merry: 24 for this my :son was dead, and is revived; was lost,
and is found. And they began to make merry.” *This is *Your* heart, O great
Jehovah Father. How we rejoice at Your response to our repentance! *And
bring us not into temptation! *

 *7. 15:32 (15:25-32) PRODIGAL: HIS BROTHER'S REACTION. “But it was fitting
to make merry and be glad: because this your :brother was dead, and is
alive; and was lost, and is found.” *The hardheartedness of this older
brother does not stop *You* Father, from showing compassion upon Your
prodigal sons. How we thank You for this. *But deliver us from the evil one!
*

 *NOTE**: 15:3-4 (15:3-7) LOST SHEEP: HAVE THE FATHER'S ATTENTION! “And he
spoke unto them this :parable saying, **4 What man of you, having a hundred
sheep, and having lost one of them, leaves not the ninety-nine in the
wilderness, and go after the lost, until he find it?” *This is the natural
reaction of the shepherd; but how much more is it Your reaction for Your
people Father, in reaching out to the lost and wandering!

 It is good to *continually* have before us the compassionate heart of our
heavenly Father! *This* was a reason for the great success of Moody and
Sankey in touching the hearts of multitudes in their world-wide meetings.

 Sankey had a little portable organ that he led worship from, and
accompanied himself when he sang specials. When they were in the Aberdeen
area of Scotland on one occasion, Sankey happened to spot in a paper the
words of “The Ninety and Nine.” They gripped him, and he immediately set
them to music. That very day he sang it to an outdoor crowd of tens of
thousands of people. It deeply stirred the audience, and brought many of
them to tears.

 Countless numbers came to Christ through such meetings - and many were
returned to a close walk with the Lord.

 George Muller of Bristol, England was deeply stirred by the multitudes who
were awakened to the reality of the Kingdom of God through these meetings by
D.L. Moody and Sankey of America. But he was at the same time disturbed that
there was not follow-up to disciple and preserve these initial decisions.
For 17 years starting at the age of 70, Mr. Muller traveled 200,000 miles to
42 different countries, establishing believers in foundation truths of the
Kingdom of God, which he had demonstrated in his various missionary agencies
- especially that of 10,000 orphans! Many of these meetings were follow-up
on Moody and Sankey. He would often spend 4-6 weeks in a city where the
Americans had spent but a few days. We need to remember that in the Great
Commission, Jesus did not command us to make “converts” - but *disciples*!

 “Born to Reproduce” by Dawson Trotman - founder of “The Navigators” - was
another illustration of discovering the importance of immediately
“discipling” all converts - until they in turn were enabled to win and *
disciple* converts - even down to the *20th Generation*! J.A.Watt

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES - Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/ *