Titus 3:12-15

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 13:42:20 PDT 2011

October 12, 2011

 *(From: TITUS #3 - 3:12-15) *

 *D. 3:12-14 NEWS AND FINAL EXHORTATION*

*a. 3:12 TITUS*

*When I shall send Artemas unto you, or Tychicus,*

HOtan PEMps*o* [3992] Ar-teMAN PROS se, *e* Tu-chiKON,

*give diligence to come unto me to Nicopolis: for I have determined to
winter there.*

SPOUda-son elTHEIN PROS me eis NiKOpo-lin: eKEI gar KEkri-ka
[2919]pa-ra-cheiMAsai
[3914].

 *b. 3:13 HELP FOR ZENAS AND APOLLOS*

*Set forward Zenas the lawyer and Apollos diligently,*

Z*e*NAN ton noMIkos [3944] kai A-polL*O*N spouDAI*o*s PROpem-pson [4311],

*that nothing be wanting to them.*

 HIna m*e*DEN auTOIS LEIp*e*.

 *c. 3:14 GOOD WORKS*

*And let :our people also learn to maintain good works*

man-thaNEt*o*-san [3129] de kai hoi h*e*MEte-roi kaL*O*N ERg*o*n
proIstas-thai [4291]

*for necessary uses, that they be not unfruitful.*

eis tas a-nagKAIas [316] CHREIas [5532], HIna m*e* *O*sin Akar-poi [175].

 *E. 3:15 SALUTATIONS*

*a. 3:15a **All th**os**e with me greet you. *AsPAzonTAI [782] se hoi met'
eMOU PANtes.

 *b. 3:15b Greet them that love us in faith.*

Aspa-sai tous phiLOUNtas [5368] h*e*MAS en PIstei.

 *F. 3:15c **The grace **be** with you all. *He CHAris [5485] meTA PANton
huMON.

 *NOTE**: *These last 4 verses represent the last 3 paragraphs of this
letter to Titus. The Holy Spirit through Paul does not address Titus in 3
chapters, but in 6 closely knit paragraphs, making a compact unity of these
thoughts. Paragraph A & B of our Titus Chapter one - could represent as it
were - the head of the pig or hog. Paragraph C, 2:1-3:11 - the body; and D
through F, the tail or squeal. Yet, that is not accurate either, for no
portion of Scripture is unimportant. What can you see here that from God's
point of view is a fitting conclusion to this letter? For one thing we see
the strong human interest for individuals on the part of the Apostle Paul,
and that his needs also be met. Then too, he is concerned that all saints
not be mere professors of the faith, but possessors that lead to action. And
lastly, he has a concern for good human protocol in both receiving and
giving greetings. The Christian faith, though in the world, is yet not of
the world. But it at the same time works out the highest of good human
relationships.

 If one did a “word study” on these last few verses, I would choose the
profession of Zenas as a “*lawyer* - noMIkon” - to look at. An interesting
email came this week on the contrast between Democrats and Republicans, as
they relate to the “lawyer” profession. See what you think of the following
few excerpts.

 “Today in the US we are drowning in laws; we are contorted by judicial
decisions; we are driven to distraction by omnipresent lawyers in all parts
of our once private lives. America has a place for laws and lawyers, but
that place is modest and reasonable, not vast and unchecked. When the most
important decision for our president is whom he will appoint to the Supreme
Court, the role of lawyers and the law in America is too big. When house
Democrats sue America in order to hamstring our efforts to learn what our
enemies are planning to do to us, then the role of litigation in America has
become crushing.

 “We cannot expect the Lawyers' Party to provide real change, real reform or
real hope in America. Most Americans know that a republic in which every
major government action must be blessed by nine unelected judges, is not
what Washington intended in 1789. Most Americans grasp that we cannot fight
a war when ACLU lawsuits snap at the heels of our defenders. Most Americans
intuit that more lawyers and judges will not restore declining moral values
or spark the spirit of enterprise in our economy.

 “Perhaps Americans will understand that change cannot be brought to our
nation by those lawyers who already largely dictate American society and
business. Perhaps Americans will see that hope does not come from the mouths
of lawyers but from personal dreams nourished by hard work. Perhaps
Americans will embrace the truth the more lawyers with more power will only
make our problems worse.

 “The United States has 5% of the world's population *and 66% of the world's
lawyers!* Tort (Legal) reform legislation has been introduced in congress
several times in the last several years to limit punitive damages in
ridiculous lawsuits such as “spilling hot coffee on yourself and suing the
establishment that sold it to you,” and also to limit punitive damages in
huge medical malpractice lawsuits. The legislation has continually been
blocked from even being voted on by the Democrat Party. When you see that
97% of the political contributions from the American Trial Lawyers
Association goes to the Democrat Party, then you realize who is responsible
for our medical and product costs being so high!”

 We of course have many excellent lawyers who are “straight arrows”, and
live up to walking in the spirit of our Constitution as given to us by our
Founding Fathers. Our son-in-law is one of these. But it does behoove us to
look at our situation in America as it is, and to see that not all American
lawyers walk in this spirit. I dare say that Zenas the lawyer of Paul's day
was of this better caliber.

 *BILL COSBY TIRED - 2011-10-12 - *I wish to apologize to Bill Cosby and ask
forgiveness for quoting him inaccurately without first checking with
“Snopes”. I normally do not send out such articles, but was asked in this
case if I would, and in the pressure of preparing for a printing, did not
clearly think this through. Sorry Bill, and you readers! Normally out of
some 1000 readers I get 2 or 3 responses. This time over *30* responses came
in! Thanks for your care in this case.

 So what can we learn from such a failure? For Himself Paul said in Romans
7:18 (7:13-25) “ For *I know that* *in me*, that is, in my :flesh, dwells no
good.” I agree. Then in Philippians 3:3 (3:2-4) he said, “for we are the
circumcision, who worship by God's Spirit, and glory in Christ Jesus, *and
have no confidence in flesh*.” Again, I completely agree. Also in Galatians
2:20 (2:15-21) he says by the Spirit, “I have been crucified with Christ;
and no longer I live, *but Christ* *lives in me*: and what I live in
*the*flesh I live by
*faith* *which is in the Son of :God*, who loved me, and gave himself up for
me.”

 David was a man after God's own heart, *not* because he was a perfect men -
but because when he sinned he *confessed* his sin (Psalm 51), and was
immediately cleansed from all unrighteousness!

 I have often been misquoted. People will say concerning me, “As you have
said in the past,” -- when I haven't even thought of such a thing that I
have been accused of saying! That is what some of us have done with Bill
Cosby!

 God in the past has been upset with the prophets of Israel. He has accused
them - “You have put words in My mouth, that *I* have not even thought of!”
And yet, God in His mercy, and because of His covenant with Abraham, Isaac,
Jacob and David - is going to forgive Israel her transgressions, and fulfill
for a Remnant of that people - His Covenant promises to the above 4 fathers!

 One might call this “*Unconditional Love*.” To ignore or misunderstand
“Covenant” from God's point of view - is to miss the whole point of the
Bible! It is undergirded by *Covenant*! We too have forgiveness in our heart
towards those sinning against us - even family members - *before* they ask
for forgiveness!

 Very early this morning I meditated and pondered upon the above thought, as
I considered the best way to present an apology and ask forgiveness for
“breaking protocol” in wrongfully quoting Bill Cosby. There is an old
Proverb: “To *err* is human; to forgive is divine!” Credit for this is given
to Alexander Pope; but Benjamin Franklin put it like this: “To err is human,
to repent divine, to persist devilish!”

 So perhaps the most important lesson to learn from this - Is to ensure that
such an error is not repeated! J.A.Watt

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES - Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/ *