Repent and be Converted

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 14:40:11 PDT 2011

September 16, 2011

 *2011-09-16 - REPENT AND BE CONVERTED - Don Krow*

*Discipleship Evangelism Ministry - P.O. Box 150, Ralston, OK 74650 USA*

*(May be copied and used for Bible Study and Discipleship Purposes. Not to
be Sold.)*

*www.krowtracts.com - www.delessons.org *

 For many years I have emphasized God's unconditional love and grace. But I
must admit that many in the grace teaching movement have overlooked and even
scorned one of the most foundational subjects that accompanies God's grace,
that is, the subject of repentance. Because of a lack of understanding of
this subject, many have thought that repentance is a work of the law,
legalism or man's human effort to do right etc. None of these things are
true. Repentance involves a change of mind, a change of heart and has
nothing to do with works of law. Without repentance Jesus Himself said that
people will perish (See Luke 13:1-5). It is of the utmost importance that we
know and understand this subject thoroughly.

 Many today preach “only believe,” but that was not the message of Jesus or
his apostles. Christ and his apostles preached “repent and believe” (See
Mark 1:15; Mark 6:12). Any message that leaves out the call to repentance is
misleading people and not representing God. The general edict of God to the
human race is “repentance toward God and faith toward the Lord Jesus” (See
Acts 20:20-21). The apostle Paul declared that all men everywhere must
repent (Acts 17:29-31; 2 Peter 3:9). It is a command and not an option.
Repentance must always accompany true faith and without it such faith is
always an empty profession (See James 2:19-20). According to Jesus' words,
repentance and remission of sins is a packaged deal (See Luke 24:46-47; Acts
2:38). The New Testament is absolutely clear, the first move that any sinner
must make who wants reconciliation with God is repentance (See Acts 3:19).

 So, what is repentance? Repentance is an inner change of mind, a change of
heart that results in an outward turning around, to face and move in a
completely new direction (that direction is towards God). Repentance turns
you FROM something, TO something. For the Thessalonian believers it turned
them FROM idols TO serve the Living and True God (See 1 Thess. 1:9). The
apostle Paul preached repentance FROM darkness TO light and FROM Satan UNTO
God. In this turn the free gift of grace that results in forgiveness
(righteousness) was granted to those who believed (See Acts 26:18). Paul
stated that his ministry was to call people to repent and turn to God and
prove their repentance by their deeds (See Acts 26:19-20).

 Many in the Christian church today are so afraid of the word “works” (not
recognizing that there are different kinds of works described in Scripture -
1 Thess. 1:3; Eph. 2:10; Acts 26:20) that they have denied the reality that
faith and repentance both require evidence (or fruit) to prove their
existence (Acts 26:20; Jas. 2:17-20).

 To say that because we are believers, that we do not need to continue in
repentance is as silly as saying that we do not need to continue in faith
(See Col. 1:21-23), yet this is the attitude of many in the church today.
That Jesus emphasized the seriousness of repentance or its lack thereof is
truly an understatement (See Luke 13:1-5). That conversion cannot take place
without repentance is the teaching of the early church (See Acts 3:19). That
“repentance” is the first foundational teaching of Christ cannot be denied
(See Hebrews 6:1-3).

 Scriptural repentance begins with God. Jesus said, “No man can come to Me,
except the Father which has sent Me draw him ... (John 6:44). For this
reason the supreme crisis of every human being comes at the moment of the
Spirit's drawing to repentance. When a person says, “Yes” to that drawing it
will lead to saving faith. If rejected it will leave a person to continue in
his own way. “As I live, says the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death
of the wicked; but that the wicked TURN from his way and live” (Ezek.
33:11).

 The early Christian Church continued the call for repentance. This early
preaching linked repentance with faith (Acts 20:21), the demand to be
baptized (Acts 2:38), and the promise of the forgiveness of sins (Luke
24:47). “Repentance” and “conversion” are identical twins (Acts 3:19). The
Greek word for “conversion” is *epistrepho* and means to turn about, a
turning from and a turning to. This corresponds to “repentance” and “faith.”
'Divine grace is the efficient cause, human agency the responding effect'
(Vine's Lexicon).

 Have you turned from darkness to light, from the authority of Satan unto
the authority of God, that you may receive the forgiveness of sins by
calling on His name? (Acts 26:18; Acts 4:12). *Repentance is not perfection,
it is a new direction* - and it is towards God (Acts 20:21). Have you turned
to “follow” Him? (Matt. 8:22; 16:24; Luke 9:23; John 10:27). “Follow” means
to come or go after; to accept the guidance or leadership of; to be governed
by (Rom. 10:9-10, 13).

 *NOTE**: *The above article by Don Krow is from “The Foundation Series -
Discipleship Evangelism”. It is taken from a booklet produced by DKM, a
non-profit organization that provides benevolent help and discipleship
materials for third-world nations. It may be copied and used for Bible study
and discipleship purposes, but not to be sold.

 I was introduced to Don Krow and his ministry on September 13, 2011 by Ross
Johnson, Executive Director & CEO of Life Messengers, publishers of
Christian outreach materials since 1944. Ray W. Johnson is founder, now
deceased. “The Simplified King James Version, Paraphrase and Commentary” is
brought to you under the title of “The Last Days Bible.” The New Testament
has been published under that title and is available through *<
www.lastdaysbible.org>. *One of our grandsons has given an excellent review
of this.

 In 1955 we were pastoring the “Kostner Avenue Baptist Church” of Chicago
following my graduation at “Northern Baptist Theological Seminary” in 1952.
Many of the pamphlets written by Ray Johnson came into our hands at that
time including, “Here's How”, and “Is This Your Life?” We probably passed
out thousands of these; and when in 1962 we moved to the Seattle are, we
soon contacted Ray Johnson, and developed a meaningful friendship. In the
midst of his new endeavor of publishing the “Last Days NT”, he invited me to
become a member of the “Life Messengers” board, of which I am still a
member, but now under his son Ross.

 Don Krow found a copy of “The Last Days NT” in a second hand bookstore, and
he and his wife fell in love with it. He has contacted Ross, and has made an
offer to update it in some minor areas, and republish it. He is already
using it in a booklet on Hebrews and 1 John. As a board member I am
impressed with his creative ideas, plus his activation ability to bring such
ideas to fruition. For myself, I count it a privilege to be a member of this
board, and trust to see the full Bible published. I have proof-read for Ray
large portions of the OT.

 This is the second Bible I have helped get published. I was asked in 1955
by Mr. Roberts of Toronto to contact Rochunga Pudaite of Assam, India, then
in Wheaton, to help him in publishing the whole Bible in his Hmar language,
plus a hymn-book. This Rochunga did in the next 17 years, and also founded
“Bibles for the World.”

 Then for the past 67 years I have been active in preparing for publication
an Outlined Interlinear Greek NT making use of the Bible Numeric Greek and
English NT texts prepared by Russian Dr. Ivan Panin. This with Ray Johnson's
Last Days Bible await publication now. Don Krow has suggested a rename for
the latter - “The Simplified King James Version, Paraphrase and Commentary”.

 When you read Don Krow's article “Repent and be Converted and check out his
Website on *<www.delessons.org>* on Discipleship and Evangelism - I believe
that you with me will want to pray for a fruitful alliance between him and
Ross Johnson for the completion of that which was so close to the heart of
his father Ray. Jim Watt.

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES - Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/ *