Benjamin Update

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 12:35:34 PDT 2011

August 15, 2011

 *BENJAMIN UPDATE - THE TRIBE OF TEAM-SPIRIT - 2011-08-15*

*1. Genesis 35:18 (35:16-21) BENJAMIN: HIS NAME CHANGED. “And as her soul
(Rachel) was departing (for she was dying), she called his name Ben-oni (son
of my sorrow); but his father (Jacob) called him Benjamin (son of the right
hand)” (ESV). *Of his twelve sons, Jacob named but one, the last. The name
Ben-oni would have continually reminded him of the loss of his favorite
wife. Our Father in heaven has set His only begotten Son at His right hand,
just as Jacob set Benjamin there. *Hallowed be your :name!*

*2. Genesis 49:27 (49:1-27) BENJAMIN: A RAVENOUS WOLF! “Benjamin is a
ravenous wolf, in the morning devouring the prey and at evening dividing the
spoil.” *The tribe of Benjamin was a very fierce, left-handed, tribe. Saul,
Israel's first king was of this tribe, who made 21 attempts upon the life of
David. Saul of Tarsus who became Paul the Gentile apostle, was also of this
tribe. In the beginning he had a fierce hatred of the early Christians. But
Benjamin through Paul has brought great blessing to the church. *Your
:kingdom come!*

*3. Deuteronomy 33:12 (33:1-29) BENJAMIN: GOD'S SAFETY FOR HIM. Of Benjamin
he said, “The beloved of the LORD dwells in safety. The High God surrounds
him all day long, and dwells between his shoulders.” *Jerusalem is in the
tribe of Benjamin, and when the Kingdom split because of the sin of Solomon,
this tribe was given by God to Judah of David. Jerusalem - Zion - the City
of God - indeed rests between his shoulders! How surely God's prophetic word
comes to pass! Not *one* such word has *ever* failed! *Your :will be done,
As in heaven, so on earth!*

*4. Philippians 3:4b-6 (3:2-16) BENJAMIN: FROM WHICH THE APOSTLE PAUL
SPRANG! “If any other thinks to have confidence in flesh, I yet more:
5circumcised
the eighth day, of Israel's race, of Benjamin's tribe, Hebrew of Hebrews; as
touching law, a Pharisee; 6 as touching zeal, persecuting the church; as
touching righteousness which is by law, become blameless” (NNT). *Paul the
apostle in the natural - the flesh - was not ashamed of his Benjaminite
heritage. But from the vantage point of the Kingdom of God - he set such
things aside. It would do well for *all of us* to follow this wise and
humble example of Paul. *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

*5. Hebrews 6:1-2 (5:11-6:8) BENJAMIN: LINKED WITH FOUNDATION TRUTHS!
“Therefore leaving the word of the beginning of the Christ, let us be borne
unto the perfection; not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead
works, and of faith toward God, 2 -the teaching of baptisms, and of laying
on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.” *For
a group to move in “team spirit” - it must *first* be well-grounded in
foundation truths. The above 6 - plus a seventh of *being borne unto the
perfection* - are absolutely essential. To sit in the Gate of a City Church
as an Eldership or Presbytery of eight - and to *function* under Christ's
direction as an “Automated Laser-Telescope” - such a team must walk together
in unity under the full Headship of Christ! *And forgive us our :debts, As
we also have forgiven our :debtors!*

*6. Judges 20:4-7 (19-21) BENJAMIN: NECESSARY, IN SPITE OF SIN! And the
Levite, the husband of the woman who was murdered, answered and said, “I
came to Gibeah that belongs to Benjamin, I and my concubine, to spend the
night. 5 And the leaders of Gibeah rose against me and surrounded the house
against me by night. They meant to kill me, and they violated my concubine,
and she is dead. 6 So I took hold of my concubine and cut her in pieces and
sent her throughout all the country of the inheritance of Israel, for they
have committed abomination and outrage in Israel. 7 Behold, you people of
Israel, all of you, give your advice and counsel here.” *It would be well to
reread these 3 chapters of Judges again. In spite of the judgment that fell
on Benjamin for the above sin, the 11 tribes used of God in this judgment -
did *not* rejoice - but mourned! For they knew that it took *all 12
tribes*for God to make use of them. They therefore contrived to supply
the
remaining 600 men of Benjamin with wives! Else we would have missed Paul the
apostle and his 14 epistles! *And bring us not into temptation!*

*7. Judges 3:15 (3:12-30) BENJAMIN: A DELIVERER IN EHUD! “Then the people of
Israel cried out to the LORD, and the LORD raised up for them a deliverer,
Ehud, the son of Gera, the Benjaminite, a left-handed man. The people of
Israel sent tribute by him to Eglon the king of Moab.” *Here again we see
why one linked with the tribe of Benjamin, like Saul of Tarsus, needs
desperately to be saved! Spiritually speaking, I am linked with this tribe.
I *know* how desperately *I needed* to be saved. God used Ehud, and He can
use any of us! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

*NOTE**: *Next to Jesus of God and the Tribe of Judah - is Paul of the tribe
of Benjamin. And *what* is one of the outstanding features of the apostle
Paul? For me - it is his humility in “Team-spirit”.

Once the Lord Jesus arrested him on the road to Damascus, there was a
growing and complete transformation that took place in his life. He let
Jesus Christ be his all-in-all according to Galatians 2:20! His complete
life: body, soul and spirit - was *now* at the full disposal of Jesus
through His Spirit. Rees Howells, George Muller, Oswald Chambers and George
Whitefield among many others, joined Paul in this complete surrender.
*This*is what the Lord desires from
*each one of us*. We are not saved to be blessed! We are saved to serve, and
live at the full disposal of God. For *His* pleasure we are created!

Of all Bible characters - Paul most completely portrays the plan God would
have each one of us to walk in. Remember Acts 13:48 (13:42-52) *GOD'S
BACKGROUND FOR OUR SALVATION. “And as the nations heard this, they were
glad, and glorified the word of :God: and as many as were ordained to
eternal life believed!” *It is *good* to remember that before our
conception, God not only foreknew us - but He also *appointed* us to eternal
life. Then when this Good Message was clearly delivered to us - we followed
God's plan through, and believed! Our God is Sovereign. The biography of
George Whitefield by Arnold A. Dallimore makes this eminently clear. It can
be obtained as a reasonable used copy on Amazon.

One friend of mine had difficulty in determining who to put first in
importance: Joseph or Benjamin! Both are born of the same mother - Jacob's
favorite wife. Joseph is linked with Jesus in so many parallel ways. Yet
Benjamin and the significance of “team spirit” in his history - is gripping.
Look again at Paul. How he depended on the prayers of others - and coveted
them! How he appreciated his fellow team members, that he mentions so often
in his epistles.

So - you be the judges - and decide! J.A.Watt

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES -- Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/*