Exodus 21-23

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon May 23 10:57:43 PDT 2011

May 23, 2011

 *FEB 8 - EXODUS 21-23 - THE SOCIAL LIFE: ITS JUDGMENTS*

 *1. 21:5-6 (21:1-11) JUDGMENTS: SERVANTS. “But if the servant shall plainly
say, I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out
free: 6then his master, shall bring him unto God, and shall bring him
to the door,
or unto the door-post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an
awl; and he shall serve him for ever” (ASV '01). *Father, let Your Kingdom
Principles be worked out into our visible world. Yes, in all our
relationships, may Your invisible world become visible! *Hallowed be your
:name.*

 *2. 21:15, 17 (21:12-36) JUDGMENTS: FELONIES. “And he that strikes his
father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death. 17 And he that curses
his father or his mother, shall surely be put to death.” *Presumptuous sin:
how deserving punishment! What wisdom is contained here for Israel of
old! *Your
:kingdom come.*

 *3. 22:14 (22:1-15) JUDGMENTS: MISDEMEANORS. “And if a man borrows anything
from his neighbor, and it be hurt, or die, its owner not being with it, he
shall surely make restitution.” *How practical Your wisdom Father, in all of
these common problems! We bless You for being the all-around God that You
are! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth!*

 *4, 22:22-24 (22:16-23:9) JUDGMENTS: MISCELLANEOUS. “You shall not afflict
any widow, or fatherless child. 23 If you afflict them at all, and they cry
at all unto me, I will surely hear their cry; 24 and my wrath shall grow
hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and
your children fatherless.” * Forgive us Father, for not entering into Your
great heart in all of these issues. O make us more like You! *Our :daily
:bread give us this day!*

 *5. 23:13 (23:10-19) JUDGMENTS: OBSERVANCES. “And in all things that I have
said unto you take heed: and make no mention of the name of other gods,
neither let it be heard out of your mouth.” *Sometimes You lead us into
testing Father, to see what is in our hearts as with Hezekiah, and sometimes
to vindicate one of Your servants like Job. Sometimes we open ourselves to a
fall into temptation because we fail to observe this statute. *And forgive
us our :debts, as we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 23:24-25 (23:20-25) JUDGMENTS: ANGEL OF THE PRESENCE VERSUS IDOLS. “You
shall not bow down to their gods, not serve them, nor do after their works;
but you shall utterly overthrow them, and break in pieces their
pillars. 25And you shall serve Jehovah your God, and he will bless
your bread, and your
water; and I will take sickness away from the midst of you.” *This is the
path You desire for NT saints also! *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 23:29-30 (23:26-33) JUDGMENTS: PROMISES, BOUNDARIES AND COVENANTS. “I
will not drive them out from before you in one year, lest the land become
desolate, and the beasts of the field multiply against you. 30 By little and
little I will drive them out from before you, until you be increased, and
inherit the land.” *Again, what wisdom on your part, Father! *But deliver us
from the evil one.*

 *NOTE**: 23:20-21 (23:20-25) JUDGMENTS: SHOULD GOD'S ANGEL BE IGNORED!
“Behold, I send an angel before you, to keep you by the way, and to bring
you into the place which I have prepared, **21 Take heed before him, and
listen unto his voice; provoke him not; for he will not pardon your
transgression: for my name is in him.” * This is Your Jehovah angel, Father!
This is Your Messiah pre-incarnate!

 It is *good* that we have the *balance* of God's Word! That goes equally
for our diet also! These 3 chapters of warnings and judgments are just as
necessary as the portions on encouragement and love. Thank God that our God
is a God of balance! *This* is one of the most difficult achievements for
human beings. We tend to be in one ditch by the road or the other - while
God wants us in the center of the road.

 One almost needs to have some lawyer-experience to weave his way between
the felonies and misdemeanors that God points out! Just as some believers
write out “crafted prayers” on the part of specific prayer needs - so we
could write out an attorney's “brief” to help achieve correct judgments. We
have a straight-arrow attorney in our family - and much appreciate his
wisdom in these areas.

 And what about “borrowed” items that get lost or broken? Even here God
lends us His wisdom!

 So many of God's moral rules for OT Israel - have equal force for us as NT
saints. So many of these moral laws are repeated in the NT, or enlarged
upon! See the enlargements of Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount.

 Many other lessons are here that we have the privilege of searching out for
ourselves.

 And for our Psalm for the day: Psalm 38:21-22 - *“Forsake me not, O
Jehovah: O my God, be not far from me. 22 Make haste to help me, O Lord, my
salvation.” *This is a Psalm of David. He points out that our sins Father,
bring reproach upon You, because of our enemies. But *You* are merciful, and
forgive us our transgressions, and turn back our enemies! Blessed be Your
Name! J.A.Watt

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES -- Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/*