Matthew 19-23

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue May 3 10:18:29 PDT 2011

May 3, 2011

 *JAN 28 - MATTHEW 19-23 - CHALLENGE OF JESUS IN JUDEA*

 *1. 19:9 (19:1-12) JESUS ON DIVORCE. “And I say unto you [that] Whoever
shall put away his :wife, except for fornication, and shall marry another,
commits adultery” (NNT). *We should not make more nor less of the words of
Jesus, which are really Your Words, Father. We will walk in Kingdom
Principles! *Hallowed be Your Name!*

 *2. 19:14-15 (19:13-15) JESUS AND CHILDREN. “But :Jesus said, Suffer the
little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the
kingdom of the heavens. 15 And he laid :hands on them, and departed from
there.” *We should memorize and meditate on these words till they are part
of the warp and woof of our being! *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 19:28 (19:16-20:16) JESUS ON WEALTH. “And :Jesus said to them, Amen I
say unto you, that you who have followed me, in the regeneration when the
Son of :man shall sit on a throne of his glory, YOU also shall sit upon
twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of :Israel.” *This follows a new
heaven and a new earth; this follows Your coming in Glory, Lord Jesus. May
we not water this saying down. *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on
earth!*

 *4. 20:26b-28 (20:17-21:11) JESUS ENTERS JERUSALEM. “But who would become
great among you shall be your servant; 27 and who would be first among you
shall be your bondman: 28 even as the Son of :man came not to be served, but
to serve, and to give his :life a ransom for many.” *O Father, write this
Kingdom principle deep on our heart. Circumcise our hearts from all that is
contrary to this spirit of :Jesus! Forgive us for having such a desire for
recognition, pre-eminence and wealth. May we be willing to settle for what
You appoint for us. *Our :daily bread give us this day!*

 *5. 21:13 (21:12-22:14) JESUS ON JEWRY. “And Jesus said to them, It is
written, My :house shall be called a house of prayer: but you make it a den
of robbers.” *Prayer or Profit? Father, we have defiled Your house by
putting the emphasis on the latter. Forgive us this sin and wrong priority.
Wealth is neutral, but our attitude contaminates. *And forgive us our
:debts, as we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 22:22, 33, 46 (22:15-46) JESUS SILENCES ENEMIES. “And when they heard
it, they marveled, and left him, and went away. 33 And the crowds
heard andwere astonished at his :teaching.
46 And no one could answer him a word, neither dared any man from that :day
question him any more.” *Pharisees, Herodians, Sadducees, lawyers and
multitudes: all marveled at Jesus' teaching. Yes, Satan too is silenced by
the words of wisdom in Jesus. *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 23:23-24 (23) JESUS DENOUNCES LEADERS. “Woe to you, scribes and
Pharisees, hypocrites! because you tithe :mint and :anise and :cummin, and
have left the weightier* *matters of the law: :judgment and :mercy, and
:faith; but these you ought to have done, and not to have left those.
24Blind guides, straining out the gnat, and swallowing the camel!”
*What a denunciation: but You in Jesus have this right, Father! *But deliver
us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: *21:43-44 (21:12-22:14) *“Therefore I say unto you [that], The
kingdom of :God shall be taken away from you, and shall be given to a nation
bringing forth its :fruits. 44 And who falls on this :stone shall be broken
to pieces: but on whoever it shall fall, it will scatter him as dust.” * We
ponder well these words Father, for we who stand in pride shall surely fall.

 We here enter into the last week of Jesus! *This* is the real purpose of
Jesus' coming as Son of :man - God's only-begotten Son - who in His
pre-incarnate state was an integral part of the Tri-unity of the Godhead.
For us to fully understand the magnitude of this, it seems that we of the
redeemed part of the human race, will have to await our resurrection at the
return of our Lord Jesus - or our departure from this life to join the
redeemed and the angels and God in heaven!

 What Jesus taught in this last week leading up to His Passion, especially
Matthew 23 - ensured that nothing could prevent our Redemption and
Reconciliation by Jesus at Calvary.

 From one fifth to one third of the 4 Gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John
- *major* on this last week. *This* shows what God thinks is the key part of
the Gospels. The apostle Paul well understood the centrality of the Cross.
He determined in his preaching and teaching to know as the core: Jesus
Christ and *Him crucified*. We would do well to join Paul in this emphasis.

 *Jesus* is King David's *Greater Son*! As a prophet, David continually
points forward to Jesus. He must have seen in vision much of what would take
place in the coming Abraham's seed and his seed in the humanity of Jesus,
the Son of :man. Both Joseph the step-father of Jesus and Mary His actual
mother - were of the seed of David. Joseph gave to Jesus the legal right to
the Throne of David; Mary gave Him the actual right.

 We should again and again read and meditate upon this last week of Jesus on
earth leading up to the supreme purpose of His coming. It was
*not*primarily as a great teacher; nor our prime example! It was to
undo the
damage wrought by Adam in yielding to Satan's temptation through Eve. If we
take our gaze from this primary purpose - we miss the Father's primary
thinking on the whole Bible. *Covenant* is the basis to give us
understanding on this; and the *New Covenant* is based on Jesus' blood! For
- the life is in the blood!

 In Psalm 28:6-7 David 1000 years before the coming of his Greater Son -
voices the following words: *“Blessed be Jehovah, Because he has heard the
voice of my supplications. 7 Jehovah is my strength and my shield; My heart
has trusted in him, and I am helped: Therefore my heart greatly rejoices;
And with my song will I praise him.”*

 David, Isaiah and the other Biblical prophets all spoke and wrote
consistently on the theme of this last week of Jesus. Isaiah 53 is still
rejected by those who cannot receive God Almighty's thinking on all of this!
J.A.Watt

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES -- Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/*