Genesis 37-47

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 10:12:52 PDT 2011

April 15, 2011

 *JAN 15 - GENESIS 37-47 - JACOB AND JOSEPH*

 *1. 37:28 (37) JOSEPH: SOLD INTO EGYPT. “And there passed by Midianites,
merchantmen; and they drew and lifted up Joseph out of the pit, and sold
Joseph to the Ishmaelites for twenty pieces of silver. And they brought
Joseph into Egypt.”* Jacob *petted* Joseph; his 10 half-brothers out of
jealousy *pitted* him; Potiphar because of his wife's lies, *potted* him;
but Pharaoh by revelation *putted* him next to him on the throne. This was
of Your Sovereign doing, Father. (The above alliteration is by Kelley
Varner, and though perhaps not euphonious, it still is theologically sound!)
*Hallowed be Your Name.*

 *2. 38:10 (38) JUDAH: HIS SHAME. “And the thing which he did was evil in
the sight of Jehovah: and he slew him also.” *And yet Father, it was through
this line that Christ was born! You make all things work together for good,
even out of that which is from man's weakness in the flesh! *Your :kingdom
come.*

 *3. 41:41, 44b (39-41) JOSEPH: TESTED AND EXALTED. “And Pharaoh said unto
Joseph, See, I have set you over all the land of Egypt. 44b I am Pharaoh,
and without you shall no man lift up his hand or his foot in all the land of
Egypt.” *Father, for seven years You met all the needs of Egypt through
Joseph. You did it through visions and dreams for Egypt. You are no
respecter of persons, and will do it for us today! *Your :will be done, As
in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 43:30-31 (42:1-44:17) JOSEPH: HOLDS SELF INCOGNITO FROM BROTHERS. “And
Joseph made haste; for his heart yearned over his brother: and he sought
where to weep; and he entered into his chamber, and wept there. 31 And he
washed his face, and came out; and he refrained himself, and said, Set on
bread.” *The heart of Joseph to Benjamin - is the heart of Jesus towards us!
O forgive us for not exhibiting this heart to enemies and to one another. *Our
:daily bread give us this day.*

 *5. 45:5 (44:18-45:28) JOSEPH: BRINGS BROTHERS TO FULL REPENTANCE. “And now
be not grieved, nor angry with yourselves, that you sold me here: for God
did send me before you to preserve life.” *Father, You did not tempt Joseph
and his brothers above what they were able to bear, but through it worked
out great salvation! How we do bless You for being such a great God as You
are! *And forgive us our :debts, as we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 46:2-4 (46:1-47:26) JOSEPH: SAVIOR FOR ISRAEL AND EGYPT. “And God spoke
unto Israel in the visions of the night, and said, Jacob, Jacob. And he
said, Here am I. 3 And he said, I am God, the God of your father: do not
fear to go down into Egypt; for I will there make of you a great nation: 4 I
will go down with you into Egypt; and I will also surely bring you up again:
and Joseph shall put his hand upon your eyes.” *In all of Jacob's trials,
You were present, Father! *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 47:29 (47:27-31) JACOB AND JOSEPH. “And the time drew near that Israel
must die: and he called his son Joseph, and said unto him, If now I have
found favor in your sight, put, I pray you, your hand under my thigh, and
deal! kindly and truly with me: bury me not, I pray you, in Egypt.” *Jacob
trusted the oath of his son Joseph. Father, we trust Your word the same way!
*But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: *There is seldom a dry eye when one reads this portion of
Scripture relating to Joseph making himself known to his 11 brothers. But
just think when Jesus upon His return makes Himself known to His former
rejecting brothers the Jews! Zechariah 12:10-14. There is a distinct
parallel between these two occurrences. And Joseph as a strong type of Jesus
- has so many parallels with the One coming as his Antitype!

 Imagine the shock of his brethren, when they found the little brother who
they sold into Egypt - had *now become* second only to Pharaoh himself in
this great land! They had little hope for the future. But just as Joseph
forgave them, so our Lord Jesus will forgive Israel upon His return, and
they with Him will become the leading nation over the whole face of the
earth! What an embarrassment that day will be to all remaining nations on
earth!

 And - just as Joseph led his 10 half brothers to full repentance, so our
Lord Jesus will bring the remnant of Israel to a similar full repentance!
For - this is the first of the necessary foundation truths listed in Hebrews
6:-2. And without a *full* and sincere repentance - a “change of mind,” all
the blessings of the Gospel cannot flow. Look again at the 6 conditional
steps of the above two verses - and then note that the seventh step is
“going on” to perfection. The preliminary foundations are but the
prerequisite for the rearing up of the edifice.

 And - as Joseph was Savior not only of the new-forming nation of Israel -
but *also* of Egypt and neighboring nations who came down to Egypt for help
in the 7 years of famine - so - our Lord Jesus is not only coming as a
blessing to restore Israel at His Second Coming - but also as a blessing to
all nations of the earth who like Israel repent and receive Him as God's
appointed King of kings and Lord of lords for the whole earth.

 And lastly, though Joseph was as Pharaoh himself, yet as son of Jacob, he
humbled himself to promise and fulfill his father's dying wishes - so Jesus
at His Cross honored His mother by turning her over to the care of John -
and will continue at His return to honor His Heavenly Father in all His
wishes - just as He did as a perfect servant to His Father during His 33
years upon earth as the Son of :man.

 So *much* in these eleven chapters! So rich in lessons and insights! See
how much more the Holy Spirit will quicken to you as you meditate upon this
Scripture portion. J.A.W.

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE – Please email: **
jmbetter-unsubscribe at skagitattic.no-ip.org*

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES – Web:** **