Genesis 27-36

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 10:20:55 PDT 2011

April 14, 2011

 *JAN 14 - GENESIS 27-36 - JACOB AND ESAU*

 *1. 27:35-36a (27:1-28:9) JACOB: STEALS A BLESSING. “And he said, Your
brother came with guile, and has taken away your blessing. 36a And he said,
Is he not rightly named Jacob for he has supplanted me these two times: he
took away my birthright; and, behold, now he has taken away my blessing.” *This
is not an example of Kingdom principles: this is the heritage of Adam at
work before Jabbok and a change of nature and name! *Hallowed be Your Name!*

 *2. 29:20, 23 (28:10-29:30) JACOB: MEETS HIS MATCH. “And Jacob served seven
years for Rachel; and they seemed unto him but a few days, for the love he
had to her. 23 And it came to pass in the evening, that he took Leah his
daughter, and brought her to him; and he went in unto her.” *Poetic justice!
The boomerang returns! Cheat a brother and it will return upon your own
head. Father, we would be as Israel, after Jacob was transformed. *Your
:kingdom come.*

 *3. 30:22-24 (29:31-30:26) JACOB'S FAMILY. “And God remembered Rachel, and
God listened to her, and opened her womb. 23 and she conceived, and bore a
son: and said, God has taken away my reproach: 24 and she called his name
Joseph, saying, Jehovah add to me another son.” *Now comes the son of the
right mother! Not Ishmael, but Isaac; not Esau, but Jacob; not the ten half
brothers, but Joseph. Father, we bless You for Your Sovereign choices. *Your
:will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 31:13 (30:27-31:55) JACOB: LOOKED AFTER BY GOD. “I am the God of
Bethel, where you anointed a pillar, where you vowed a vow unto me: now
arise, get out from this land, and return unto the land of your nativity.” *We
have not because we ask not. But if our ways please You Father, and we ask,
then You meet our needs abundantly above all we can ask or think. We need to
come to You with *all* our needs. *Our :daily bread give us this day.*

 *5. 32:28 (32-33) JACOB: RECONCILED TO ESAU. “And he said, Your name shall
be called no more Jacob, but Israel; for you have striven with God and with
men, and have prevailed.” *Through the temptation of Esau upon Jacob, which
Your arranged Father, You pressured Jacob into a situation which transformed
him into an Israel! *And forgive us our :debts, as we also have forgiven our
:debtors.*

 *6. 34:30 (34-35) JACOB'S TROUBLES IN CANAAN. “And Jacob said to Simeon and
Levi, You have troubled me, to make me odious to the inhabitants of the
land, among the Canaanites and the Perizzites: and I being few in number,
they will gather themselves together against me and strike me; and I shall
be destroyed, I and my house.” *Jacob heard a word from the desire of Satan
from the second heaven; but You Father, overturned it, and confirmed Your
will from the third heaven! *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 36:9-10a (36) SONS OF EDOM. “And these are the generations of Esau the
father of the Edomites in mount Seir: 10a these are the names of Esau's
sons: Eliphaz the son of Adah the wife of Esau.” *Could this be the chief of
Job's comforters? Esau became strong in Edom and Petra, but through Israel,
You Father, demonstrated Your power! * But deliver us from the evil one.*

 *NOTE**: *The life of Jacob is quite revealing. Until he wrestled with the
angel of Jehovah and received a change of name - we see a somewhat conniving
type of person. He had to flee from his brother Esau for twice cheating him
out of what normally would have been the portion of the firstborn.

 Had you realized that Jacob was 77 years of age when he set out to find for
himself a wife? The Bible records that the 7 years Jacob worked for Laban to
receive his daughter Rachel as his wife - were as but a few days for the
great love he had for her! Then through the trickery of Laban his relative,
he had to work 14 years for his two wives, plus six more years for his
wages. And - Laban changed his wages 10 times during these 6 years! God by a
dream showed Jacob how to come out fairly. So - what Jacob did to Esau -
Laban more than requited Jacob!

 Naphtali, one of Jacob's 12 sons, means “wrestling.” The life of this son
illustrates his name, and reveals that “rest” comes in the midst of
w*rest*ling!
But when his father Jacob wrestled with the angel - and prevailed unto the
changing of his name from “cheat - Jacob” to Israel - “Prince with God” -
this indeed shows the necessity of putting our best foot forward if we are
to prevail and enter into the fullness of the blessings of God. An apathetic
posture will *never* prevail. The Kingdom of God suffers violence - and the
violent take it be force! So though we have the promises of God, it takes
“importunity” to bring these promises to pass. Luke 11, 18 and Daniel 10,
are 3 chapters that illustrate most clearly the necessity of an importunate
spirit. Like a bull-dog, don't let go till you obtain! *This* was the spirit
of Winston Churchill concerning Hitler and Nazism.

 When William Carey sought cooperation from Christian leaders of England
concerning India, they told him that if God wanted to do something for
India, He wouldn't need the help of a William Carey seeking to do his part -
He would do it *all* by Himself! Wrong! - God moves into partnership with
each one of us - and what He promises - he expects *us* to do our part in
pressing in to realize such promises. We can “go to seed” concerning the
Sovereignty of God! We must not at the same time neglect “the
responsibility” of man.

 One Negro pastor put it this way - “I just go ahead and believe as if
everything depended on the Lord - and then I just go ahead and work as if
everything depended on me!” This may not fit every person's theology, but in
essence it is solidly rooted in the teachings of the Bible.

 Many other lessons are available in these 10 chapters of Genesis. God's
Bible to us through 33 writers is a rich source of hidden ore or oil. In
Texas at one time - it took wise men who could tell where this hidden
treasure might be found. Then it took persistence in drilling until such
treasures could be retrieved. Just so it is with the treasures in the Word
of God. Full discipleship and meditation are two of the necessary conditions
to successful spiritual mining. J.A.W.

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE – Please email: **
jmbetter-unsubscribe at skagitattic.no-ip.org*

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES – Web:** **