Genesis 16

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 11:49:56 PDT 2011

April 11, 2011

  *JAN 11 - GENESIS 16 - ABRAM AND ISHMAEL*

 *1. 16:1. ABRAM AND SARAI “Now Sarai, Abram's wife bore him no children;
and she had a handmaid, an Egyptian, whose name was Hagar.” *Hagar probably
came because of Abram's lapse in going down to Egypt. Ishmael then is the
fruit of that lapse. Father, reveal to us the fruit of the disobedience of
faith, and teach us to walk in Your obedience. *Hallowed be Your Name!*

 *2. 16:2 (16:2-3) ABRAM AND HAGAR. “And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now,
Jehovah has restrained me from bearing; go in, I pray you, unto my handmaid;
it may be that I shall obtain children by her. And Abram listened to the
voice of Sarai.” *Right father - wrong mother! Father, You promised Your
chosen seed through Sarai, and our manipulations will not do the job. Teach
us to listen and follow your commands only. *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 16:4 (16:4-6) HAGAR FLEES. “And he went in unto Hagar, and she
conceived: and when she saw that she had conceived, her mistress was
despised in her eyes.” *Abram did what his wife suggested, and then got into
trouble for listening to her, for he knew better. And what of Sarai? She
hadn't really thought the thing through. Yet You still remained faithful to
them, Father! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 16:9 (16:7-9) HAGAR AND THE ANGEL. “And the angel of Jehovah said unto
her, Return to your mistress, and submit yourself under her hands.” *This
was Your will, Father, for now You had a purpose for Ishmael too, as a
contrast to Isaac. Our deviations with Ishmaels shall ever arise to haunt
us. *Our :daily bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 16:11 (16:10-12) HAGAR: HER SON ISHMAEL PRENAMED. “And the angel of
Jehovah said unto her, Behold, you are with child, and shall bear a son: and
you shall call his name Ishmael, because Jehovah has heard your affliction.”
*Ishmael is the first of eight men named before their birth! You have a
purpose in all of this, Father. May we learn from this not to fall in
disobedience, as did Abram. *And forgive us our :debts, as we also have
forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 16:13 (16:13-14) HAGAR: YOU GOD SEE ME. “And she called the name of
Jehovah that spoke unto her, You are a God that sees: for she said, Have I
even here looked after him that sees me?” *What a grievous scene. Here
Father You show Yourself merciful to the needy: the orphan and the widow.
Yes, You are a God of great deliverance! *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 16:15-16. HAGAR: BARES ISHMAEL TO ABRAM. “And Hagar bore Abram a son:
and Abram called the name of his son, whom Hagar bore, Ishmael. 16 And Abram
was 86 years old, when Hagar bore Ishmael to Abram.” *Evidently Hagar told
Abram of the angelic visitation, and Abram obeyed the word of Jehovah in
naming his firstborn. All of this is so much of You, Father! *But deliver us
from the evil one.*

 *NOTE**: Dr. J. Vernon McGee initiated a five year cycle on Thru the Bible
some time ago. He is now commencing the 9**th of these cycles.*

 *I ran across his plan in 1960 when it was then on a yearly basis. We had
in various churches led out people in 3 plans for this project, but I was
intrigued with a major difference in Dr. McGee's plan. He alternated an OT
book with a NT book in his plan.*

 *I made a few adjustments in his plan by using the Hebrew order of OT
books. Jesus used this same order as a Jew, and referred to it in the Gospel
of Luke when He joined the two on the road to Emmaus and proved from the Law
(Torah), Prophets (Neviim) and Writings (Kethuvim) the references to Himself
as Messiah coming to die for our sins and be resurrected.*

 *Perhaps in 325 AD during the reign of Constantine - they changed this
order to the present King James order - to try and rid themselves of the
Jewishness of the Torah order. Replacement Theology!*

 *In the NT, I use the order of God's Bible Numerics as He allowed Russian
Ivan Panin to discover this 3-fold field.*

 *To add a further devotional touch, I have removed Psalms and Proverbs from
their normal order, planning a psalm a day for the first 5 months, Proverbs
for the 6th, and repeating these two books for the second half of the year.*

 *One can't help but be amazed that Dr. McGee's Thru the Bible is heard in
over 100 languages and dialects, and broadcast to over 200 countries. It is
without a doubt one of the most listened to Christian radio programs in
history.*

 *A further note on our JAN 11 Genesis 16 lesson on Abram and Ishmael. Much
of the seven above points are self-explanatory. However, it is significant
that Ishmael is the first of 8 individuals named prior to birth! *

 *In 2005 my wife Marie and I attended a two week Bible Conference on the
top of Mt. Carmel conducted by David and Karen Davis. This was easily the
outstanding Conference we have attended in Israel. By all means consider
attending one of these conferences if you to desire to take in an
outstanding conference in Israel. Dr. Davis, a Shakespearian actor and
professor in New York - was converted to the Lord there, and mentored for 2
years by David Wilkerson. They have built a Messianic Jewish building on Mt.
Carmel seating 1000, with Jews, Arabs and many other nations represented.*

 *They point out that when God chose Isaac, (the second of 8 prenamed Bible
individuals) - to be the inheritor of His land and covenant - not Ishmael -
that this has set up enmity between these two, that 4000 years later is
still existent. One can understand why. This very chapter begins to lay the
foundation for this understanding. J.A.W.*

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE – Please email: **
jmbetter-unsubscribe at skagitattic.no-ip.org*

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES – Web:** **
http://skagitattic.no-ip.org/pipermail/jmbetter/** *