Luke 24:33-53

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 16:51:27 PST 2010

December 31, 2010

 *(LUKE #44 - 24:33-53)*

 *2. 24:33-35 THE ELEVEN EXCHANGE NEWS WITH THE EMMAUS' TWO*

*a. 24:33-34 - CHRIST'S RESURRECTION*

kai a-naSTANtes auT*E* t*e* H*O*ra, huPEstre-psan eis Ie-rou-saL*E*M,

*And they rose up that very hour, and returned to Jerusalem,*

kai HEUron *e*th-roisMEnous tous ENde-ka, kai tous sun auTOIS,

*and found the eleven collected together, and those with them,*

LEgon-tas [HOti], ONt*o*s *e*GERth*e* ho KUri-os, kai *O*PHth*e* SIm*o*-ni.

*34 saying [that], The Lord is risen indeed, and has appeared to Simon.*

 *b. 24:35 THE REPORT FROM THE TWO OF EMMAUS*

kai auTOI e-x*e*GOUNto [1834] ta en t*e* hoD*O*,

*And THEY rehearsed the happenings on the way,*

kai h*o*s egN*O*Sth*e* auTOIS en t*e* KLAsei [2800] tou ARtou.

*and how he was known of them in the breaking of the bread.*

 *3. 24:36-43 JESUS APPEARS TO THE ELEVEN AND EATS*

*a. 24:36 JESUS APPEARS TO HIS DISCIPLES*

TAUta de auT*O*N laLOUNt*o*n, auTOS ESt*e* en MEs*o* auT*O*N,

*And as they spoke these things he himself stood in their midst,*

kai LEgei auTOIS, EiR*E*n*e* huMIN.

*and says unto them, Peace to you.*

 *b. 24:37 THEIR TERROR*

pto-*e*THENtes [4422] de kai EMpho-boi geNOme-noi,

*But they, terrified and becoming frightened,*

eDOkoun [1380] PNEUma the-*o*REIN.

*supposed they beheld a spirit.*

 *c. 24:38 JESUS' QUESTION*

kai EIpen auTOIS, Ti te-ta-ragMEnoi [5015] esTE?

*And he said to them, Why are you troubled?*

kai diA ti di-a-lo-gisMOI [1261] a-naBAInou-sin [305] en t*o* karDIa huM*O*
N?

*and why do questionings arise in your :heart?*

 *d. 24:39 JESUS PROVES HIS RESURRECTION BODY*

Ide-te tas CHEI-RAS mou kai tous POdas mou,

*See my :hands and my :feet,*

HOti eG*O* ei-mi auTOS: ps*e*-laPH*E*saTE [5884] me, kai Ide-te;

*that it is I myself: handle me, and see;*

HOti PNEUma SARka kai oSTEa [3747] ouk Echei, kaTH*O*S eME the-*o*REIte
Echon-ta.

*because a spirit has not flesh and bones, as you see me having.*

 *e. 24:40 And when he had said this, he showed them his :hands and :feet.*

kai TOUto eiP*O*N, Edei-xen auTOIS tas CHEIras kai tous POdas.

 *f. 25:41 HE FURTHER ALLAYS THEIR FEARS BY EATING*

Eti de a-piSTOUNt*o*n auT*O*N aPO t*e*s chaRAS, kai thau-maZONt*o*n [2296],

*And while they still disbelieved for :joy, and wondered,*

EIpen auTOIS, EcheTE ti BR*O*si-mon [1034] enTHAde?

*he said to them, Do you have anything to eat?*

 *g. 24:42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish.*

hoi de ePEd*o*-kan auT*O* ichTHUos [2886] opTOU [3702] MEros.

 *h. 24:43 And he took it, and ate before them.*

kai laB*O*N, eN*O*pi-on auT*O*N Epha-gen.

 *4. 24:44-49 THE GOSPEL COMMISSION AND EMPOWERMENT*

*a. 24:44 THE NECESSITY OF FULFILLING SCRIPTURE*

EIpen de pros auTOUS, HOUtoi hoi LOgoi mou

*And he said unto them, These **are** my :words*

hous eLAl*e*-sa pros huMAS, Eti *o*n sun huMIN,

*which I spoke unto you, while I was yet with you,*

HOti dei pl*e*-r*o*TH*E*nai PANta ta ge-gramMEna en t*o* NOm*o* M*o*-uSE*o*
s,

*that all the **things** written in the law of Moses,*

kai tois proPH*E*tais, kai PsalMOIS, peRI eMOU.

*and the Prophets, and the Psalms, concerning me must be fulfilled.*

 *b. 24:45-47 THE GOSPEL FIRST TO BE PREACHED AT JERUSALEM*

TOte di*E*noi-xen [1272] auT*O*N ton noun tou su-niEnai [4920 tas graPHAS
[1124]:

*Then he opened their :mind to understand the scriptures:*

kai EIpen auTOIS [HOti], HOUt*o*s GEgrap-tai, paTHEIN [3958] ton ChrisTON,

*46** and he said to them [that], Thus it is written, that the Christ should
suffer,*

kai a-naST*E*nai ek neKR*O*N t*e* TRIt*e* h*e*MEra;

*and rise from **the** dead the third day;*

kai k*e*-ruchTH*E*nai [2784] ePI t*o* oNOma-ti auTOU meTAnoi-an eis Aphe-sin
[849]

*47** and that repentance unto remission of sins be preached*

ha-mar-ti*O*N eis PANta ta ETHn*e*, arXAme-noi aPO Ie-rou-saL*E*M.

*in his :name unto all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.*

 *c. 24:48 **You are witnesses of these **things.*

huMEIS MARtu-res TOUt*o*n.

 *d. 24:49 JESUS PROMISES THE HOLY SPIRIT*

kai iDOU, eG*O* e-xa-poSTELl*o* [649] t*e*n e-pag-geLIan [1860] tou paTROS
mou eph' huMAS:

*And lo, I send forth the promise of my :Father upon you:*

HUmeis de kaTHIsa-te en t*e* POlei,

*but tarry YOU in the city,*

HE*o*s hou enDUs*e*s-the [1746] ex HUpsous [5311] DUna-min.

*until you be clothed with power from on high.*

 *J. 24:50-53 ASCENSION OF JESUS AND RETURN OF DISCIPLES*

*a. 24:50 JESUS BLESSES HIS OWN*

E-X*E*ga-gen de auTOUS HE*o*s pros B*e*thaNIan:

*And he led them out until over against Bethany:*

kai ePAras tas CHEIras auTOU, euLOg*e*-sen auTOUS.

*and he lifted up his :hands, and blessed them.*

 *b. 24:51 HIS ASCENSION*

Kai eGEne-to, en t*o* eu-loGEIN auTON auTOUS,

*And it came to pass, while he :blessed them,*

diEst*e* [1339] ap' auT*O*N, kai a-nePHEre-to [399] eis ton ou-raNON.

*he parted from them, and was carried up into :heaven.*

 *c. 24:52-53 THE JOYOUS AFTERMATH*

kai auTOI pro-skuN*E*san-tes [4352] auTON,

*And THEY worshipped him, *

huPEstre-psan eis Ie-rou-saL*E*M MEta chaRAS meGAl*e*s:

*and** returned to Jerusalem with great joy:*

kai *E*san diA panTOS en t*o* hi-eR*O*, eu-loGOUNtes [2127] ton TheON.

*53 and were continually in the temple, blessing :God.*

 *NOTE**: (2010-12-31) - 24:33-35 - *Can you imagine the excitement as these
two groups caught up with one another their news? Peter had by now seen
Jesus. He appeared to his denying disciple first - to restore him to faith
after his terrible lapse. In the Gospel of John - just as Peter denied Him
thrice, He asked Peter if he truly loved Him. The first two questions - no
problem. It was the third time, when instead of asking if he had
aGAp*e*love for His Lord - He asked Peter, who had answered His first
two questions
by averring that he was Jesus' friend (phiL*E*). Now the third time Jesus
came down to Peter's level, and asked - Are you even my friend (phiL*E*)?
This cut Peter to the deep and the quick. He aggrievedly answered - Lord I
may not be at the level where I can love you with aGAp*e* love - but - truly
- I *am* your friend (phiL*E*).

 Jesus knows how to restore us in private - and how to really make us see
our true state, even if it hurts supremely.

 24:36-43 - Now Jesus appears to all of His disciples at once, and by His
Resurrection appearance causes a deep fright to them. He allays their fears
by eating in front of them. We *will* all eat in heaven with Jesus in
resurrection bodies like His. This is a surprise to many. Do angels eat?
Apparently they do! The two angels with the Lord who visited Abraham before
the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah - ate with the Lord when Abraham
offered them hospitality. Then there is the Marriage Supper of the Lamb in
heaven yet to come! And Israel in the wilderness for 40 years ate Manna -
angel's food!

 24:44-49 - is the Great Commission in Luke's words. It complements what
Matthew and Mark have written. It is important to note 24:49 at this point.
They were to tarry in Jerusalem for the promise of the Father - the Gift

(d*o*-reA) of the Holy Spirit - who would come exactly on the Day of
Pentecost! All of God's timings and appointments are important to note. This
exact fulfillment was probably a surprise at the time to the apostles and
the 120 - for Jesus did not specify how long they were to tarry. Since that
special Day of Pentecost following Jesus' Ascension - it is not necessary to
tarry for the Promise of the Father. As soon as believers follow the
Peter-Package of Acts 2:38, immediately with the laying of of hands the Gift
can be received. See Acts 8, Acts 9, Acts 10, And Acts 19:1-6 - and we see
that the apostolic practice was to baptize immediately following conversion
through repentance and faith, and laying on of hands for the Holy Spirit.
The laying on of hands did not take place in Acts 10 with Gentile believers,
because Peter and his Jewish friends had at that time no idea that God would
receive Gentiles into His Kingdom just like Jews! So God had to give His
promise of the Spirit to these Roman Gentile believers preceding baptism!
And then Peter was called on the carpet by the other apostles of Jerusalem
when they heard that he entered a Gentile home, and baptized the converts
after God gave the the Holy Spirit - just as He did the Jews at the
beginning in Acts 2.

 At this point - to do a Greek Word Study on the gift of the Spirit -
“D*o*-reA”
in Acts 2:38 - will be most rewarding and instructive. It appears but 11
times in the NT, and each time refers to the Promise of the Father, the *
Gift* of the Holy Spirit - which Jesus promised in John 13-17.

 It is the DUna-min of Luke 24:49, that Jesus said would prepare the 12 and
all believers, to minister with “signs following.”

 24:50-53 - The Ascension of Jesus is extremely important to note in
connection with leading events in His life: His Incarnation through Virgin
Birth; His Bar Mitzvah at 12; His baptism at 30; The Holy Spirit as a dove
following baptism; His testing by Satan in the wilderness; His return to
civilization in power following this testing; His Transfiguration; His
Death, Resurrection, Ascension, and Giving of the Holy Spirit - all these
point out critical times in the life of our Lord. We await now His soon
return!

 For me - this day and this last half of Luke 24, completes the rough draft
of the 260 chapters of the Interlinear Greek NT - God's Bible Numeric NT.
Please join with me in prayer for its proof-reading and printing in 2011.
J.A.W.

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE – Please email: **
jmbetter-unsubscribe at skagitattic.no-ip.org*

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES – Web:** **