Luke 5:1-16

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 13:28:53 PST 2010

November 9, 2010

  *(From: LUKE)*

 *V. 5:1-6:11 JESUS' MINISTRY BOTH ATTRACTS AND REPELS: LIKE A MAGNET*

 *A. 5:1:11 THE CALL OF FIRST FOUR DISCIPLES*

*a. 5:1-2 JESUS OBSERVES BOATS OF FISHERMEN*

E-GEne-to de,

*Now it came to pass,*

en t*o* ton OCHlon e-piKEISthai [1945] auT*O* kai aKOUein ton LOgon tou
TheOU,

*While the crowd pressed upon him and heard the word of :God,*

kai auTOS *e*n heST*O*S [2476] paRA t*e*n LIMn*e*n [3041] Gen-n*e*-saRET;

*that HE also was standing by the lake of Gennesaret;*

kai EIden PLOIa DUo heST*O*ta paRA t*e*n LIMn*e*n: hoi de ha-leEIS [231]

*2 and he saw two boats standing by the lake: but the fishermen*

ap' auT*O*N a-poBANtes, Eplu-non [637] ta DIKtu-a [1350].

*had gone out of them, and were washing their nets.*

 *b. 5:3a HE SEEKS HELP FROM PETER*

emBAS de eis hen t*o*n PLOI*o*n, ho *e*n SIm*o*-nos,

*And he entered into one of the boats, which was Simon's,*

*e*R*O*t*e*-sen auTON aPO t*e*s g*e*s e-pa-na-gaGEIN [1877] oLIgon.

*and** asked him to put out a little from the land.*

 *c. 5:3b And he sat down and taught the crowds out of the boat.*

kaTHIsas de ek tou PLOIou eDIda-sken [1321] tous OCHlous.

 *d. 5:4 JESUS CHALLENGES SIMON AS A FISHERMAN*

h*o*s de ePAUsa-to [3973] laL*O*N, EIpen pros ton SIm*o*-na,

*And when he had ceased speaking, he said unto :Simon,*

E-paNAga-ge eis to BAthos [899], kai chaLAsa-te [5465] ta DIKtu-a huM*O*N
eis Agran [61].

*Put out into the deep, and let down your :nets for a catch.*

 *e. 5:5 SIMON RELUCTANTLY OBEYS*

kai a-po-kriTHEIS SIm*o*n EIpen, E-piSTAta [1988], di' HOl*e*s nukTOS
ko-piAsan-tes [2872],

*And Simon answered and said, Master, we toiled all night,*

ouDEN eLAbo-men: ePI de t*o* 'R*E*maTI sou chaLAs*o* ta DIKtu-a.

*and** took nothing: but at your :word I will let down the nets.*

 *f. 5:6-7a AN UNPRECEDENTED CATCH OF FISH*

kai TOUto poi*E*san-tes, suNEklei-san [4788] PL*E*thos [4128] ichTHUon poLU;

*And having done this, they enclosed a great multitude of fishes;*

di-eR*E*Sse-to [1284] de ta DIKtu-a auT*O*N; kai kaTEneu-san [2956]

*and their :nets were breaking; 7a and they beckoned*

tois meTOchois [3353] en t*o* heTEr*o* PLOI*o*, tou elTHONtas sul-laBESthai
[4815] auTOIS.

*to their partners in the other boat, to come and help them.*

 *g. 5:7b And they came, and filled both the boats, so that they began to
sink.*

kai *E*Lthan, kai Epl*e*san amPHOte-ra [297] ta PLOIa, H*O*ste buTHIzes-thai
[1036] auTA.

 *h. 5:8 THE EFFECT ON PETER*

iD*O*N de SIm*o*n PEtros, proSEpe-sen [4363] tois GOna-sin I*e*SOU,

*But Simon Peter, seeing it, fell down at the knees of Jesus, saying,*

LEg*o*n, Exel-the [1831] ap' eMOU; HOti aN*E*R ha-mar-t*o*LOS ei-mi, KUri-e.

*Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, Lord.*

 *i. 5:9-10a AMAZEMENT: REACTION OF THE FISHERMEN INVOLVED*

THAMbos [2285] gar pe-riESchen [4023] auTON, kai PANtas tous sun auT*O*,

*For he was amazed, and all that were with him,*

ePI t*e* Agra t*o*n ichTHU*o*n h*o*n suNEla-bon;

*at the catch of the fishes which they had taken;*

hoMOI*o*s de kai IAk*o*-bon kai I*o*An*e*n, huiOUS Ze-beDAIou,

*10a and so were also James and John, sons of Zebedee,*

hoi *E*san koi-n*o*NOI [2844] t*o* SIm*o*-ni.

*who were associates with :Simon.*

 *j. 5:10b JESUS APPLIES THE FISH-CATCH TO MEN*

kai EIpen pros ton SIm*o*-na I*e*SOUS, M*e* phoBOU;

*And Jesus said unto :Simon, Fear not;*

aPO tou nun anTHR*O*pous Es*e* z*o*GR*O*N [2221].

*from :now on you shall catch men.*

 *k. 5:11 RESULT: JESUS GAINS DISCIPLES*

kai ka-ta-gaGONtes [2609] ta PLOIa ePI t*e*n g*e*n,

*And when they had brought the boats to :land,*

aPHENtes PANta, *e*-koLOUth*e*-san [190] auT*O*.

*they left all, and followed him.*

 *B. 5:12-16 HEALING MINISTRY GREATLY SPREADS*

*a. 5:12 A LEPER CHALLENGES WILLINGNESS OF JESUS*

Kai eGEne-to, en t*o* EInai auTON en miA t*o*n POle-*o*n,

*And it came to pass, while he was in one of the cities,*

[kai] iDOU: aN*E*R PL*E*r*e*s LEpras [3014]:

*[and] lo: a man full of leprosy:*

* *iD*O*N de ton I*e*SOUN, peS*O*N ePI PROs*o*-pon, e-de*E*th*e*
[1183]auTOU, LEg
*o*n,

*and seeing :Jesus, he fell on his face, and besought him, saying,*

KUri-e, eAN THEl*e*s [2309], DUnaSAI me ka-thaRIsai ]3515].

*Lord, if you will, you can cleanse me.*

 *b. 5:13:a JESUS RESPONDS*

kai ekTEInas [1614] t*e*s CHEIra, H*E*psa-to [680] auTOU, LEg*o*n,

*And he stretched forth his :hand, and touched him, saying,*

THEl*o*; ka-thaRISth*e*-ti.

*I will; be cleansed.*

 *c. 5:13b And straightway the leprosy departed from him.*

kai euTHE*o*s h*e* LEpra aP*E*Lthen ap' auTOU.

 *d. 5:14 JESUS CHARGES SILENCE RE THE HEALING*

kai auTOS paR*E*Ggei-len [3853] auT*O* m*e*-deNI eiPEIN: alLA a-pelTH*O*N,

*And HE charged him to tell no one: but go,*

DEIxon se-auTON t*o* hi-eREI, kai proSEneg-ke [4374] peRI tou ka-tha-risMOU
sou,

*and** show yourself to the priest, and offer for your :cleansing,*

kaTH*O*S proSEta-xen [4367] M*o*-uS*E*S, eis marTUri-on auTOIS.

*according as Moses commanded, for a witness to them.*

 *e. 5:15 NON-COMPLIANCE MULTIPLIES SEEKING CROWDS*

di*E*Rche-to [1330] de MALlon ho LOgos peRI auTOU:

*But all the more went abroad the word concerning him:*

kai suN*E*Rchon-to OCHloi polLOI aKOUein,

*and great crowds came together to hear,*

kai the-raPEUes-thai [2323] aPO t*o*n as-the-nei*O*N [169] auT*O*N.

*and to be cured of their :infirmities.*

 *f. 5:16 But HE was withdrawing in the deserts, and praying.*

auTOS de *e*n hu-po-ch*o*R*O*N [5298] en tais eR*E*mois, kai
pro-seuCHOme-nos [4336].

 *NOTE*: 2010-11-09 - On Saturday October 30, our Pilot Prayer Team of 8 men
had an extraordinary break-through into the heavenlies. The bulwarks of
Satan were torn - and angels of God came pouring through. Many testimonies
from different parts of the world have come. One was from upper Vancouver
Island in BC, Canada. Another was in Pierce Country. This morning I awoke
from an unusual dream. I had been part of a large Stadium meeting in
Seattle, representing the Sea/Tac Metroplex of 3 ½ million people. Some
60,000 or more were present. At the close of this service for the Church of
Seattle and environs, 5 pastors from different local churches in the area
shared words and a chorus or hymn verse each, illustrating what they sensed
God had done in the meeting. As I closed the meeting, I suggested that those
present who sensed they were not yet in God's Kingdom - should seek out a
friend or neighbor and ask help in applying Acts 2:38, called by some the
“Peter Package”. To enter God's Kingdom, there must be a clear-cut
repentance - a change of mind and action concerning past sin. Secondly, to
demonstrate that decision of repentance and faith in the “Finished Word” of
Christ on Calvary through His Atoning Blood sacrifice - we need to be
baptized in His Name, the One indwelt on earth by the fullness of the
Godhead - Father, Son and Holy Spirit. This brings an “identification” with
our Lord and Savior in His death, burial and Resurrection! Lastly, we need
to believe for an immediate reception of the Gift (do-reA) of the Holy
Spirit. Jesus in the Gospel of John set Him forth as the Paraclete - one
called alongside to help, just like Jesus Himself. Jesus said it was better
for Him to go away - for the Holy Spirit in us and we in the Holy Spirit -
is better than Jesus *with* us! Water baptism is a picture of this coming
immersion into the Holy Spirit.

 I said, “Before you seek this help from a friend or neighbor, let us close
this service by singing the Doxology -

*Praise God from Whom all blessings flow -*

*Praise Him all creature here below -*

*Praise Him above you heavenly host -*

*Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost!*

 Before you sing the Amen, I asked them to sing it once again with full
meaningfulness from the heart, and then fully subscribe to it with a hearty
“Amen!”

 It has been prophesied a few decades back, that before the return of Jesus,
Stadiums such as this throughout the land, would be *full* of worshipers
representing entire cities, led by leaders little-known in an unusual way in
their respective cities. Certainly I would fit such a description.

 Luke 5:1-16 is the first Interlinear” mailing from the last 20 chapter of
the NT. There are 13 section of 20 chapters each for the 260 chapters of the
NT. Twelve of these sections of 240 chapters are complete and ready for
printing. Most of them have been posted on our Website
*<www.2rbetter.org>*under “Interlinear”. The remaining 20 chapters
should be completed and
posted this year.

 The format for this Interlinear designed for the use of “Laymen”
specifically, is unique in several ways. It is formatted like Ken Taylor's
“Living Bible”; that is, It is a “clause by clause” and “sentence by
sentence” Interlinear Greek NT, not a “word by word” format. Those fearful
of using Greek, can read the English Text by Ivan Panin like any other
translation, and will find that it is both readable and makes sense. It is
also based on *God's* Bible Numerics, which gives it added authority.

 People in the past have wondered how the 4 fishing disciples left their
boats and nets so swiftly to follow Jesus. But Luke here gives the answer
(5:4-11). The miraculous catch of fish Jesus led them to make - caused such
a decision on the part of these four!

 5:12-16 - Here we see two ways that people exercised faith in seeking help
from Jesus. Some, like this leprous man, had no doubt concerning Jesus' *
ability* to help. It was more along the line, “Would He be *willing* to help
me?” Jesus settled this question. He said, “I *will*; be cleansed;” and
immediately the man *full* of leprosy was cleansed!

 In other instances, needy people accepted His willingness, but had doubts
concerning His ability. One said, “If you *can*, please heal me.” Jesus
responded, “As to the “If I can” - *all things* are possible to him that
believes.” One other said, “I believe - *help* *my unbelief*!” Jesus *did*,
and proved both His ability, *and* His willingness. J.A.W.

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE – Please email: **
jmbetter-unsubscribe at skagitattic.no-ip.org*

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES – Web:** **
http://skagitattic.no-ip.org/pipermail/jmbetter/** *