Luke 3:21-38

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 11:58:36 PDT 2010

November 2, 2010

   *(From: LUKE)*

 *B. 3:21-38 THREE-FOLD WITNESS TO JESUS*

*1. 3:21-22 THE DESCENT OF THE SPIRIT UPON CHRIST*

E-GEne-to de, en t*o* bap-tisTH*E*nai [907] HApan-ta ton laON,

*Now it came to pass, when the whole people were :baptized,*

kai I*e*SOU bap-tisTHENtos, kai pro-seu-choMEnou [4336],

*that** Jesus also having been baptized, and praying,*

a-ne-*o*chTH*E*nai [455] ton ou-raNON,

*the heaven was opened,*

kai ka-taB*E*nai [2597] to PNEUma to HAgi-on s*o*-ma-tiK*O* [4984]*,*

*22 and the Holy :Spirit descended in bodily form,*

h*o*s pe-ri-steRAN [4058]*,* ep' auTON, kai ph*o*N*E*N [5456] ex ou-raNOU
geNESthai,

*as a dove, upon him, and a voice came out heaven,*

Su ei ho huiOS mou ho a-ga-p*e*TOS [27]; en soi *e*uDOk*e*-sa [2108].

*You are my :Son the beloved; in you I am well pleased.*

 *2. 3:23-38 GENEALOGY OF JESUS THROUGH MARY (NATHAN)*

Kai auTOS *e*n ho I*e*SOUS, arCHOme-nos [756], h*o*SEI eT*O*N [2094]triAkon-ta,

*And Jesus himself, when he began, was about thirty years old,*

*o*n huiOS (h*o*s e-noMIze-to [3543]) I*o*S*E*PH, tou *E*-LEI,

*being the son (as was supposed) of Joseph, of :Helei,*

tou MatTHAT, tou LeuEI, tou MelCHEI, tou IanNAI, tou I*o*S*E*PH,

*24 of :Matthat, of :Levi, of :Melchei, of :Jannai, of :Joseph,*

tou Mat-taTHIou, tou A-M*O*S, tou NaOUM, tou EsLEI, tou NagGAI,

*25 of :Mattathias, of :Amos, of :Nahum, of :Eslei, of :Naggai,*

tou MaATH, tou Mat-taTHIou, tou Se-meEIN, tou I*o*S*E*CH, tou I*o*DA,

*26 of :Maath, of :Mattathias, of :Semeein, of :Josech, of :Joda,*

tou I*o*-aNAN, tou 'R*e*SA, tou Zo-roBAbel, tou Sa-la-thi*E*L, tou N*e*REI,

*27 of :Joanan, of :Rhesa, of :Zorobabel, of :Salathiel, of :Nerei,*

tou MelCHEI, tou AdDEI, tou K*o*SAM, tou El-maDAM, tou *E*r,

*28 of :Melchei, of :Addei, of :Cosam, of :Elmadam, of :Er,*

tou I*e*SOU, tou E-liEzer, tou I*o*REIM, tou MathTHAT, tou LeuEI,

*29 of :Jesus, of :Eliezer, of :Joreim, of :Maththat, of :Levi,*

tou Su-me*O*N, tou IOUda, tou I*o*S*E*PH, tou I*o*NAM, tou E-li-aKEIM,

*30 of :Symeon, of :Judah, of :Joseph, of :Jonam, of :Eliakeim,*

tou Me-leA, tou MenNA, tou Mat-taTHA, tou NaTHAM, tou DauID,

*31 of :Melea, of :Menna, of :Mattatha, of :Natham, of :David,*

tou IesSAI, tou I*o*B*E*D, tou BoOS, tou SaLA, tou Na-asS*O*N,

*32 of :Jessai, of :Iobed, of :Boos, of :Sala, of :Naasson,*

tou AdMEIN, tou ArNEI, tou EsR*O*M, tou PhaRES, tou IOUda,

*33 of :Admein, of :Arnei, of :Hezron, of :Phares, of :Judah,*

tou IaK*O*B, tou I-saAK, tou A-braAM, tou THAra, tou NaCH*O*R,

*34 of :Jacob, of :Isaac, of :Abraham, of :Thara, of :Nachor,*

tou SeROUCH, tou 'RaGAU, tou PhaLEK, tou E-BER, tou SaLA,

*35 of :Seruch, of :Ragau, of :Phalek, of :Eber, of :Sala,*

tou KaiNAM, tou Ar-phaXAD, tou S*e*m, tou N*O*e, tou LAmech,

*36 of :Cainam, of :Arphaxad, of :Shem, of :Noah, of :Lamech,*

tou Ma-thouSAla, tou E-N*O*CH, tou IaRET, tou Ma-le-le*E*L, tou KaiNAM,

*37 of :Mathusalah, of :Enoch, of :Jaret, of :Maleleel, of :Cainam,*

tou E-N*O*S, tou S*e*th, tou A-DAM, tou TheOU.

*38 of :Enos, of :Seth, of :Adam, of :God.*

 *NOTE**: *A man invited a friend to his church on a Sunday evening to hear
his pastor, whom he highly regarded. To his consternation, his pastor that
night preached from Genesis on genealogies. The rest of the sermon he was
unable to take in because of his disappointment. But then - to his utter
amazement - he saw his friend go forward and make a full decision for Christ
as both Lord and Savior!

 “Whatever possessed you to do that?” he was asked by the one who invited
him. “Well”, he said, “as your pastor went through name after name, I noted
that they *all* died. And I thought - and *I'm* going to die too! And I'm
not ready to meet my God; so I obeyed my strong conviction and did the right
thing!”

 And what of the genealogy of Mary before us now? It is the *third* witness
concerning God's approval of His Son. The Holy Spirit as a dove confirmed
the sign promised to John the Baptist. The voice from Heaven from the Father
was a second most powerful witness! But the genealogy of Mary is the third -
and also most powerful witness.

 Matthew gives the genealogy of Joseph, Jesus step-father through Solomon -
a line that was rejected for David's final throne. But Mary came through
Nathan, a line through David that the Lord approved. His humanity through
Mary gave Him every right to succeed to the Throne of David for all eternity
over Israel - and over all nations as King of kings and Lord of lords,
whether today any of the above see God's three-fold approval or not.

 So - whatever one may think of genealogies - and even skip their reading -
God has so arranged them that they have *great* significance.

 One point more - consider the genealogies of 1 Chronicles 1-12. If one
skips these - he will miss 4:9-10, and the extraordinary insights that come
from the the story of *Jabez* of the tribe of Judah. J.A.W.

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE – Please email: **
jmbetter-unsubscribe at skagitattic.no-ip.org*

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES – Web:** **
http://skagitattic.no-ip.org/pipermail/jmbetter/** *