1 & 2 Thessalonians - Overview

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 10:10:14 PDT 2009

   *T4001R - 1 & 2 THESSALONIANS - OVERVIEW*

“*NATURE OF CHRIST'S RETURN”*

 *1. 1 Thess. 2:19-20 (1-3) SAVED BY CONVERSION, EVANGELISM AND WATCHCARE.
“For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of glorying? Are not even you,
before our :Lord Jesus at his :presence? 20 For you are our :glory and our
:joy.” *Converts who stand! This is the soul-winners joy! This is evidence
of the power of Your Kingdom at work, Father! *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 4:1 (4:1-12) A LIFE OF CONDUCT AND CALLING. “For the rest, brethren, I
ask and exhort you in the Lord Jesus, that, as you received of us :how you
ought to walk and to please God, even as you do walk, - that you abound
more.” *We thank You Father, for apostolic example of conduct and
God-pleasing toward converts! How zealously Paul fulfills Your will this
way. *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 4:17-18 (4:13-5:11) A LIFE OF COMFORT AND CHALLENGE. “Then we that are
alive, that are left, shall together with them be caught up in clouds, to
meet the Lord into the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18 Wherefore
comfort one another with these :words.” *Father, what faithful words of
comfort and security! We receive these Spirit-given words of exhortation. *Your
:will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 5:12-13 (5:12-18) A LIFE OF CONCORD AND CONSTANCY. “But we ask you,
brethren, to know them that labor among you, and are over you in the Lord,
and admonish you; 13 and to esteem them exceeding highly in love for their
:work. Be at peace among yourselves.”* Forgive us Father, for the sin of
murmuring and complaining against the leaders that You gave us. Show us we
are really reproaching You! O teach us to pray for and thank You for Your
gifts. *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 2 Thess. 1:7-8 (1) COMFORT: FROM THE HOPE OF CHRIST'S RETURN. “And to
you that are afflicted rest with us, at the revelation of the Lord Jesus
from heaven with angels of his power in flaming fire, 8 rendering vengeance
to them that know not God, and to them that obey not the gospel of our :Lord
Jesus:” *Father, these light afflictions down here are not worthy to be
compared with the Glory about to be revealed in Jesus! *And forgive us our
:debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 2:3-4 (2) CAUTION: ON THE TIME OF CHRIST'S RETURN. “Let no one beguile
you in any wise: for not unless the falling away come first, and the man of
:lawlessness be revealed, the son of :destruction, 4 he that opposes and
exalts himself against every one called God or an object of worship; so that
he sits in the temple of :God, setting himself forth as being God.” *Father,
You not only reveal this plan of Satan through this man of sin, but You
deliver us from him! *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 3:6 (3) COMMAND: IN THE LIGHT OF CHRIST'S RETURN. “Now we command you,
brethren, in the Lord Jesus Christ's name, that you withdraw from every
brother that walks disorderly, and not after the tradition which you
received of us.” *We will not be contaminated Father, by the traditions of
man. We walk in *Your* ways!* But deliver us from the evil one.*

 *NOTE: *The apostle Paul in these two epistles gives us a clearer
understanding of end-time events than appear in any other of his letters.
Jesus Himself by the Spirit speaks through Paul in these matters. In the
Gospels He said that He had many things to share with His disciples, but
they were not at that time able to receive them, for the Holy Spirit was not
yet given. But *now* disciples had the Holy Spirit. Now they had the inward
Teacher. Now Jesus by the Spirit was able to impart through Paul, clarity of
understanding concerning eschatology and end-time events, that were just not
appropriate to share prior to Calvary, His Resurrection and Ascension and
the Gift of the Holy Spirit. Let us remember again Paul's clear teaching in
1 Corinthians 14:37 as an added confirmation to this.

 Not only does Paul more clearly than the Gospels set forth these events,
but also the need for believers to respect the right of our Risen Lord to
set in place leaders suitable for us acccoding to His choice. We must
remember how upset God was with Israel, especially in the 40 year Wilderness
sojourning, at the rebellion, murmuring and complaining against His choice
of leadership, especially against Moses and Aaron. Remember Korah and his
open rebellion, and the tragic aftermath that overtook him and those that
joined in his rebellion.

 It is *not* that our leaders who God sets over us are perfect. They have *
not* been perfected. We are *all* on the way to God's timing for perfection.
But God asks us to obey those that have the rule over us - even in their
unperfected state - and ours! And Paul in Romans points out that this
applied to secular governments as well as the church. Difficult? Of course!
But there are areas in prayer open to us that can change situations -
especially as we patiently await the timing of God's solutions.

 And as Romans sets forth the benefits of “Passover”, and Ephesians those of
“Pentecost” - so 1 & 2 Thessalonians set forth the blessings of
“Tabernacles”. Revelation is like the “Feast of Trumpets” alerting us to
God's latter day timing ; and Hebrews sets forth the work of Jesus for the
“Day of Atonement”, Yom Kippur.

 Are we closer to the final fulfillment of all these things? Indeed we are.
Jesus prophesied that the generation of 1967 seeing Jerusalem restored to
Israel, would not pass away till *all things* be fulfilled!

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org<mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org?subject=Just%20hit%20send%20be%20automatically%20subscribed>
*

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE -- Please Email: