Phil/Col - Overview

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 15:32:52 PDT 2009

*July 23, 2009
<http://www.2rbetter.org/>*

   *PHILIPPIANS-COLOSSIANS - OVERVIEW – T3801R*

*CHRISTIAN LIVING: CHRIST THE CENTER*

 *1. Phil 1:29 (1) RELATIONSHIP OF GOSPEL TO SUFFERING. “Because to you it
has been granted in the behalf of Christ, not only :to believe unto him, but
also :to suffer in his behalf.” **Hallowed be your :name.** *

 *2. Phil 2:1-4 (2-3) EXAMPLE OF CHRIST’S SUFFERINGS. “If therefore any
exhortation **is** in Christ, if any consolation of love, if any fellowship
of Spirit, if any tender mercies and compassions, **2** make full my joy,
that you think the same, having the same love, being of one soul, of :one
mind; **3** **doing** nothing through faction or through vainglory, but in
:lowliness of mind counting one another better than themselves; **4** not
looking each severally to his :own **things**, but each severally also to th
**os**e of others.” **Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. Phil 4:4, 9 (4) JOY AND PEACE: FRUIT OF THE GOSPEL. “Rejoice in
**the**Lord always: again I will say, Rejoice.
**9** What **things** you both learned and received and heard and saw in me,
these do: and the God of :peace shall be :with you.” *Joy comes from
obedience. *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. Col 1:9-11(1:1-2:5) PRE-EMINENCE OF CHRIST: WORTHY OF SUFFERING. “For
this **cause** we also, from the day we heard **it**, do not cease to pray
and ask for you, that you be filled with the knowledge of his :will in all
wisdom and spiritual understanding, **10** to walk worthily of the Lord unto
all pleasing in every good work bearing fruit, and increasing in :knowledge
of :God; **11** strengthened with all power, according to the might of his
:glory, unto all patience and longsuffering with joy.” **Our :daily :bread
Give us this day.*

 *5. Col 2:8-19 (2:6-3:4) PRE-EMINENT CHRIST: REASONS FOR THIS. “Look out,
lest any shall be that makes spoil of you through the philosophy and vain
deceit, after the tradition of :men, after the elements of the world, and
not after Christ: **9** for in him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead
bodily, **10 **and in him you are made full, who is the head of all
principality and power.” *Save us Father, from speculative philosophy and
theology. Keep us in Christ. *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have
forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. Col 3:16 (3:5-17) RESURRECTION: LEADS US TO PUT ON CHRIST. “Let the
word of the Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and
admonishing yourselves with psalms, hymns, spiritual songs, with :grace
singing in your :hearts unto :God.” *Yes, we immerse ourselves in the Word
of Christ, and drink it in. We know that You then Father, make us strong
overcomers in Christ, and give us a new and joyful song. *And bring us not
into temptation.*

 *7. Col 4:5-6 (3:18-4:18) RELATIVE DUTIES FOR CHRIST’S SAKE. “Walk in
wisdom toward th**os**e without, redeeming the season. **6** Let your
:speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you
ought to answer each one.” **But deliver us from the evil **one.*

 *NOTE**: *There are some students of the Word who think Galatians,
Ephesians, Philippians and Colossians, the 4 Prison Epistles of Paul, are
the acme of all his writings.

 There is no doubt that the lessons, teaching and insights in these 4 are so
valuable, that if missing from the Canon of Scripture, would leave a great
hole. Nonetheless, I doubt if the Holy Spirit Himself would make this
judgment. Romans is the very basis of all that Paul has written under His
guidance, and here we understand the great blessing of “Justification by
Faith” that comes from the Finished Work of Christ.

 But Paul well understood that apart from *suffering* in this present life,
we would fail to enter the insights and blessing that came to Job because of
suffering!

 And then Paul discovered that it is possible to live in *joy* in this life
even in the midst of suffering and persecution. What a state to achieve! If
we fail to walk in the Joy of the Lord in this present life, we have
emotionally fallen from the high state of church revelation in Ephesians.

 And if we fail like the Colossians and slip into speculative philosophy and
theology, then doctrinally we have lost out from that same high standing.
Both Philippians and Colossians are correctives to restore these believers
to the goal as revealed in Ephesians. Many a revival has lost out by falling
into either of these two traps. Ultimate Reconciliation and failure to
understand the extremes in the “Manifestation of the Sons of God,” led God
to lift His blessing from the 1948 Northern Canada Visitation. - J.A.W.

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org<mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org?subject=Just%20hit%20send%20be%20automatically%20subscribed>
*

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE -- Please Email: