Song of Solomon & Ruth

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 17:36:56 PDT 2009

   *T4401R - SONG OF SOLOMON & RUTH - OVERVIEW*

“*REST THROUGH REDEMPTION AND UNION”*

 *1. 2:4 (1:1-2:7) SONG OF SOLOMON: SPIRITUAL COMMUNION. “He brought me to
the banqueting-house, and his banner over me was love.” * O Your Kingdom of
love and peace, Father! The Government has been placed on Jesus' shoulders.
We submit to His mild rule and benign reign. *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 3:1 (2:8-3:5) SPIRITUAL LONELINESS. “By night on my bed I sought him
whom my soul loves: I sought him, but I found him not.” *O Lord Jesus, let
us not play games with You when You want us. For *Your pleasure* we are
created, Father, and we give ourselves *fully* to Your Son. *Your :kingdom
come.*

 *3. 6:3; 7:10 (3:6-8:14) SPIRITUAL MUTUAL RESPECT. “I am my beloved's, and
my beloved is mine: He feeds his flock among the lilies. 7:10 I am my
beloved's; And his desire is toward me.”* *Always* You seek to possess us
fully, Father, for this is the way Your Son *Jesus* was toward You. You
would have a people *fully* given to Your Son! Then with joy You will give
to us! * Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 1:16-17 (1) RUTH: LOVE'S RESOLVE: FAITHFUL DAUGHTER. “And Ruth said,
Entreat me not to leave you, and to return from following after you; for
where you go, I will go; and where you lodge, I will lodge; your people
shall be my people, and your God my God; 17 where you die, will I die, and
there will I be buried; Jehovah do so to me, and more also, if anything but
death part you and me.” *Father, forgive us for so often selling You short!
Ruth vindicated You at this point more than Naomi did. *Our :daily :bread
Give us this day.*

 *5. 2:3 (2) LOVE'S RESPONSE: MOABITESS GLEANER. “And she went, and came and
gleaned in the field after the reapers: and her chance was to light on the
portion of the field belonging unto Boaz, who was of the family of
Elimelech.” *When we read such an instance of Your faithfulness, O Father,
our hearts tremble that we could ever doubt You. Evermore help us be
sensitive and discerning lest we fail to do Your perfect will! *And forgive
us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 3:18 (3) LOVE'S REQUEST: VIRTUOUS SUPPLIANT. “Then said she, Sit still,
my daughter, until you know how the matter will fall; for the man will not
rest, until he have finished the thing this day.”* Here is faith! Such faith
will *always* triumph. When we exercise such faith, Satan will be unable to
hinder Your perfect will, Father! *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 4:13 (4) LOVE'S REWARD: BELOVED WIFE AND MOTHER. “So Boaz took Ruth,
and she became his wife; and he went in unto her, and Jehovah gave her
conception, and she bore a son.” **Faithfulness*! This is all *Your* doing,
Father, and highly glorifies Your Name. Here is a Moabitess woman brought
into the house of Israel. King David in a few generations becomes her
descendant, and soon, David's greater son, our Lord Jesus! *But deliver us
from the evil one.*

 *NOTE: *Again, the 7 section titles are from J. Sidlow Baxter's “Explore
the Book”. He is with the Lord now - but his insights in the Word were above
average.

 God and Jews in the Old Testament (and the New as well), are not squeamish
about discussing certain matters of marriage and love that often embarrass
some of us in our Western culture. It was considered quite normal and
natural to talk of these things in their day. One Western leader said, “I
wish the Song of Solomon had *not* been included in the Canon of Scripture!”

 Well, let us look at it this way! The joys of married life are but a
picture of our spiritual union with our Lord Jesus, according to Ephesians
5:22-33!

 Many books have been written on these 8 chapters. That of Watchman Nee is
one of the most helpful.

 But now consider the lessons of Redemption in the book of Ruth, as
portrayed though Boaz, a Kinsman Redeemer. As Song of Songs by Solomon is
read each year in Jewish circles at the time of the Passover Festival, so
the Book of Ruth is read annually at the Feast of Pentecost, “Shavuot, or
Weeks”, in Jewish circles.

 In the Megilloth, the 5 books in one scroll in Hebrew Scriptures, are
linked with the other 3 special Festivals in Jewish History.

 Just look at Ruth chapter 1, to see one of the most touching of Bible
examples of a deep relationship between a young widow and her mother-in-law.
How Ruth was rewarded for her attachment to Naomi! “The Gleaners” is a
famous painting recording this event. My mother had it as a picture in our
home when I grew up as a boy.

 Then see the wisdom of Naomi as she guided her daughter-in-law Ruth in
seeing her dead husband replaced!

 Boaz is a Type of Christ, our spiritual Kinsman-Redeemer, who has redeemed
Jew and Gentile into One New Man; and in the church - made us His Spiritual
Bride!

 The book of Ruth took place at the time of the Barley Harvest, which
coincides with the spiritual Feast of Pentecost.

 Marie and I were in Israel on Jun 6, 1992, Shavuot or Pentecost - when
these two feast dates coincided, a rare event, because of the divergence in
celebrating solar and lunar events. But it was *also* the 25th Anniversary
of the Fall of Jerusalem back into the hand of Israel! Jesus said in Matthew
24: “The generation when this takes place, shall *not* pass away until *all
things* be fulfilled.” If a generation be 100 years - then it will very soon
be half way toward the fulfillment of that time! - J.A.W.

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org<mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org?subject=Just%20hit%20send%20be%20automatically%20subscribed>
*

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE -- Please Email: