1 Corinthians 11:2-16

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 14:47:17 PDT 2009

*June 23, 2009
<http://www.2rbetter.org/>*

   *E. 1 CORINTHIANS 11:2-16*

*APOSTOLIC AUTHORITY IN THE REALM OF HEADSHIP*

*a. 11:2 WHERE PAUL CAN PRAISE*

E-paiN*O* [1867] de huMAS HOti PANta mou MEMn*e*s-the [3415],

*Now I praise you that you remember me in all things,*

kai kaTH*O*S paREd*o*-ka [3860] huMIN, tas pa-raDOseis [3862] kaTEche-te
[2722].

*and hold fast the traditions, even as I delivered to you.*

 *b. 11:3 HEADSHIP PRINCIPLES*

THEl*o* de huMAS eiDEnai,

*But I would have you know,*

HOti panTOS anDROS h*e* ke-phaL*E* [2776] ho ChrisTOS es-tin;

*that the head of every man is :Christ;*

ke-phaL*E* de gu-naiKOS [1135] ho aN*E*R [435];

*and the head of woman is the man;*

ke-phaL*E* de tou ChrisTOU ho TheOS.

*and the head of the Christ is :God.*

 *c. 11:4 MAN'S COVERING AND HEADSHIP*

pas aN*E*R pro-seuCHOme-nos [4336] *e* pro-ph*e*TEU*o*n [4395], kaTA ke-phaL
*E*S Ech*o*n,

*Every man praying or prophesying, with head covered,*

ka-taisCHUnei [2617] t*e*n ke-phaL*E*N auTOU.

*dishonors his :head.*

 *d. 11:5 WOMAN'S COVERING AND HEADSHIP*

PAsa de guN*E* pro-seu-choMEn*e* *e* pro-ph*e*TEUou-sa

*But every woman praying or prophesying*

a-ka-ta-kaLUPt*o* [177] t*e* ke-phaL*E* ka-taisCHUnei t*e*n ke-phaL*E*N auT*
E*S;

*with :head unveiled dishonors her :head;*

hen GAR es-tin kai to auTO t*e* e-xu-reMEn*e* [3687].

*for it is one and the same as if :shaven.*

 *e. 11:6 A WOMAN AND VEIL*

ei gar ou ka-ta-kaLUPte-tai [2619] guN*E*, kai keiRASth*o* [2751]:

*For if a woman is not veiled, let her also be shorn:*

ei de aisCHRON [149] gu-naiKI to KEIras-thai *e* xuRASthai,

*but if it is a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven,*

ka-ta-ka-lupTESth*o* [2619].

*let her be veiled.*

 *f. 11:7 CONTRAST BETWEEN MAN AND WOMAN*

aN*E*R men gar ouk oPHEIlei ka-ta-kaLUPtes-thai t*e*n ke-phaL*E*N,

*For a man ought not indeed to have the head veiled,*

eiK*O*N [1504] kai DOxa [1391] TheOU huPARch*o*n:

*he being God's image and glory:*

h*e* guN*E* de DOxa anDROS es-tin.

*but the woman is the man's glory.*

 *g. 11:8-10 HEADSHIP GOES BACK TO CREATION*

ou gar es-tin aN*E*R ek gu-naiKOS; alLA guN*E* ex anDROS:

*For man is not of woman; but woman is of man:*

kai gar ouk ekTISth*e* [2936] aN*E*R diA t*e*n guNAIka;

*9 for neither was man created for the woman;*

alLA guN*E* diA ton ANdra:

*but woman for the man:*

diA TOUto oPHEIlei h*e* guN*E* e-xouSIan [1849] Echein ePI t*e*s ke-phaL*E*
S,

*10 for this cause ought the woman to have a sign of authority on the head,*

diA tous agGElous [32].

*because of the angels.*

 *h. 11:11 IN THE LORD: DISTINCTIONS ERASED*

pl*e*n, OUte guN*E* ch*o*RIS anDROS,

*Nevertheless, neither is woman without man,*

OUte aN*E*R ch*o*RIS gu-naiKOS en KuRI*o*.

*nor man without woman in the Lord.*

 *i. 11:12 PAUL GIVES A FULLER EXPLANATION*

H*O*Sper gar h*e* guN*E* ek tou anDROS,

*For just as the woman is of the man,*

HOUt*o*s kai ho aN*E*R diA t*e*s gu-naiKOS;

*so is the man also by the woman;*

to de PANta ek tou TheOU.

*but :all things are of :God.*

 *j. 11:13 PAUL RESORTS TO NATURAL JUDGMENT*

en huMIN auTOIS KRInate [2919]:

*Judge in yourselves: *

PREpon esTIN guNAIka a-ka-taKAlup-ton t*o* The*O* proSEUches-thai?

*is it seemly that a woman pray to :God unveiled?*

 *k. 11:14 THE TEACHING OF NATURE WITH MAN'S HAIR*

ouDE h*e* PHUsis [5449] auT*E* diDASkei [1321] huMAS,

*Does not even nature itself teach you,*

HOti, aN*E*R men eAN koMA, a-tiMIa [819] auT*O* es-tin?

*that, if a man have long hair, it is dishonor to him?*

 *l. 11:15 AND FOR WOMAN*

guN*E* de eAN koMA [2863], DOxa auT*E* es-tin:

*But if a woman have long hair, it is glory to her:*

HOti h*e* KOm*e* anTI pe-ri-boLAIou [4018] DEdo-tai auT*E*.

*for the hair is given her for a covering.*

 *m. 11:16 APOSTLES AND CHURCHES VERSUS OPPOSERS*

ei de tis doKEI [1380] phiLOnei-kos [5380] EInai,

*But if any seems to be contentious,*

h*e*MEIS toiAUt*e*n suN*E*thei-an [4914] ouk Echo-men,

*WE have no such custom, *

ouDE hai ek-kl*e*SIai [1577] tou TheOU.

*neither the churches of :God.*

 *NOTE:* There are two types of “traditions” (11:2) mentioned in the NT:
that of “man”, that *makes void* the word of God; and that of God through a
man like Paul, that is *to be obeyed*. Rightly dividing the word of truth by
the inward witness of the Holy Spirit, enables mature believers to make this
distinction. Men like George Muller were always accurately moving in this
direction. But we also, who will learn to *meditate* on the word like Joshua
and David (Joshua 1:8 and Psalm 19:14), will with the help of God - join
their ranks!

 The passage before us has brought much soul travail, as earnest believers
have sought to walk in all the word of God - *blameless*! Then there are
non-committed believers who think this is *just Paul* talking, and that they
are not obligated to pay attention to him. *Nothing could be further from
the truth*. Read again Paul's remarks in 1 Corinthians 14:37 (14:37-40), *“If
any thinks himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him take knowledge of
what things I write you, that it is the Lord's commandment.” *Except for a
few verses in the 7th chapter of this letter, *all* the teaching is straight
from our Lord Jesus through the apostle Paul.

 And not only are Paul's words on this level, but all the rest of Bible
writers, including both OT & NT. Consider Peter's words in 2 Peter 1:19-21
(1:12-21) *“And we have the word of prophecy more sure; to which you do well
to take heed, as to a lamp shining in a murky place, until day dawn,
and theday-star arise in your hearts:
20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of scripture is of its own
interpretation. 21 For no prophecy was EVER borne by man's will; but men
spoke for God, being borne on by the Holy Spirit.”*

 People like Oswald Chambers, Rees Howells, Derek Prince, H.A. Baker, Amy
Carmichael of Dohnavur, and countless other great saints of God, *all* join
the ranks of George Muller. The *very nature* of this Numeric Interlinear
Greek NT through Dr. Ivan Panin - *clinches* this argument completely, - for
all sincere and earnest professing believers.

 Now it is true that once the above is settled, there yet lies the
responsibility of arriving at clear and applicable interpretation. In the
light of this, the church world-wide under the guidance of our Lord through
the Holy Spirit, is even now pursuing this task. - J.A.W.

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org<mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org?subject=Just%20hit%20send%20be%20automatically%20subscribed>
*

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE -- Please Email: