Hymn Book of the Bible

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 12:19:23 PDT 2009

*Tel: 253.874.4265 -- Email: jmbetter at gmail.com*

*Web: www.2rbetter.org*

   *PSALMS - OVERVIEW - T0301R*

*THE HYMN BOOK OF THE BIBLE*

 *1. 1:2-3 (1-41, ASV '01) MAN AND GENESIS. “But his delight is in the
teaching of Jehovah; And on his teaching does he meditate day and night. 3 And
he shall be like a tree planted by the streams of water, That brings forth
its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also does not wither; And whatever he
does shall prosper.” *By Your Spirit and through Your Word, Your Lordship
comes through, Father. Be glorified in our lives! *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 49:15 (42-72) DELIVERANCE AND EXODUS. “But God will redeem my soul from
the power of Sheol. For he will receive me. Selah.” *You, O Father, redeemed
Israel from Egypt; You redeemed the Church from the world, Satan and the
flesh. We will walk in Your Redemption. *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 77:13 (73-89) SANCTUARY AND LEVITICUS. “Your way, O God, is in the
sanctuary: Who is a great god like unto God?” *Yes, in your *Sanctuary* we
learn Your thinking, and Your purposes, O Father. Here we see the end of the
wicked and the transitoriness of our present pilgrim walk. We rest in Your
Covenant and promises. *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 90:12 (90-106) WANDERING AND NUMBERS. “So teach us to number our days,
That we may get us a heart of wisdom.” *We are mortal, weak, and dependent
upon You, Father. In Your mercy you remember our frame, that we are but
dust. Because You have been so gracious to us in the Redemption in Christ,
from You we find it in our hearts to extend mercy to our fellow man. *Our
:daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 110:3 (107-150) THANKSGIVING AND DEUTERONOMY. “Your people offer
themselves willingly In the day of your power, in holy array: Out of the
womb of the morning You have the dew of your youth.” *Daily Father, we put
You as our armor upon our spirit and body. We daily present our bodies as
living sacrifices and take up our cross, as an act of faith. *And forgive us
our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 22:1 (22-24) THE LIFE OF MESSIAH. “My God, my God, why have you
forsaken me? Why are you so far from helping me, and from the words of my
groaning?” *Father, You delivered Jesus our Messiah from His enemies: Satan,
death and evil men. Resurrection transcended crucifixion. You did it for our
Head, and you will do it for us! *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 119:14 (119:1-176) GLORY AND GOD'S WORD. “I have rejoiced in the way of
your testimonies, As much as in all riches.” *Yes, our hearts are full at
Your marvelous workings on our behalf through Messiah, O Father! Your Word
outlines Your mind and purpose concerning Your redemption on our behalf. *But
deliver us from the evil one.*

 *NOTE*: Bible students through the years - both Jews and non Jews - have
seen the correlation between the 5 books of Moses and the 5 sections of the
Psalms as indicated above. It is both our enrichment and a joy to read a
Psalm a day for five months, and a chapter of Proverbs a day for the sixth.
And then to repeat this for the last half of the year. It is a marvelous way
to start the day off early in the morning.

 Dr. J. Vernon McGee read and taught through the Bible in a year by
alternating an Old Testament Book - reading it completely through, and then
a New Testament Book. We have adapted his plan, with the innovation of
taking Psalms and Proverbs out of the regular order, and inserting one each
day as noted above. Our Reading Guide, “Through the Bible in a Year” sets
this forth, with approximately 3 chapter a day for the alternating books.

 David wrote approximately half of the book of Psalms, and Levites with
Moses wrote the rest. Samuel and David led the Levites in using the Psalms
for the worship of Israel in the Temple and for the great Feast Days

 Note how David sometimes started out a Psalm in a somewhat depressed mood -
but invariably as he meditated on God and His great mercies - he ended up in
victory and praise!

 May the Book of Psalms be so for us also! May it daily cause us to enter
into His Gates with Thanksgiving - and into His Courts with Praise. May it
lead us too to be thankful unto Him, and to bless His Name!

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org<mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org?subject=Just%20hit%20send%20be%20automatically%20subscribed>
*

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE -- Please Email: