Mystery

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 12:55:45 PDT 2009

*Tel: 253.874.4265 -- Email: jmbetter at gmail.com*

*Web: www.2rbetter.org*

   *2009-03-04 - MYSTERY* (musT*E*ri-on) 27x from MU*o* - “to shut the
mouth”

 Matthew 13 11 (10-17) *MYSTERIES OF KINGDOM OF HEAVENS: FOR BELIEVERS. “And
he answered **and** said, [that] To you **it** is given to know the **
mysteries** of the heavens, but to them is is not given.” *The parables of
Jesus were for those not in His Kingdom. When His disciples asked for
understanding, it was immediately given to them. Parables keep unbelievers
in safety until they make a decision to enter in. Note that in the Great
Commission Jesus commands us to *make disciples*, taking for granted the
conversion process. *This* is the great challenge of the church.
*Full*understanding of the milk of the word (Hebrews 5:11-6:3). This
is what Jesus
challenged the rich young ruler with (Mark 10:17-31), and his riches
deterred him from following through. Belief in Jesus is *not* enough.
Discipleship to Him is Mark 8:34 (8:34-9:1). Oswald Chambers believes that
we can be saved without this, but we count little in God's Kingdom until we
are disciples. How many church attenders qualify with *this*? Yet, *this* is
the Great Commission of Matthew 28:18-20! Ponder!

 Mark 4:11-12 (10-20) *THE MYSTERIES OF THE KINGDOM OF GOD. “To you is given
the **mystery** of the kingdom of :God: but to th**os**e without, :all **
things** are done in parables: **12** that looking they may look, and not
see, and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest by chance they
should turn again, and it be forgiven them.” *Jesus explains why disciples
hear and understand the *mysteries* of the Kingdom of God plainly - but
those not yet in the discipleship state - in parables. Then He shows that
the “Sower and the 4 soils” is the *key* of all parables (Mark 4:13-21) - by
this shall one understand *all* parables.

 Luke 8:10 (9-15) *MYSTERIES OF KINGDOM FOR BELIEVERS: PARABLES FOR OTHERS.
“And he said, To you **it** is given to know the **mysteries** of the
kingdom of :God: but to the rest in parables; that seeing they may not see,
and hearing they may not understand.” *This is parallel to Mark 4:11-12.

 Romans 11:25-26a (25-33) *THE MYSTERY OF ISRAEL'S TEMPORARY CUT-OFF. “For I
would not, brethren, have you ignorant of this :**mystery**, lest you be
wise in your own **conceits**, that a hardening in part has befallen
:Israel, till what **time** the fullness of the nations be come in;
**26**and so all Israel shall be saved:”
* Paul was entrusted by the Lord to know this mystery above the other
apostles. Peter thought he wrote some things hard to be understood, which
unstable Christians wrestled with to their own destruction. Still today,
because of the false “Replacement Theology”, many non-Jewish believers do
the very thing Paul warned against in this chapter. And let us remember, the
unraveling of the *mystery* does *not* originate with Paul, but is revealed
to Paul by our Lord Jesus. To miss this truth is the miss the Lord's
teaching, not Paul's.

 Romans 16:25-27 *THE MYSTERY FOR ALL NATIONS TO OBEY. “Now to the one able
to establish you according to my :gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ
according to revelation of **the** **mystery** kept silent through the times
of ages, **26** but now is manifested, and through **the** prophetic
scriptures, according to commandment of the eternal God, is made known unto
all the nations unto obedience of faith: **27** to **the** only wise God,
through Jesus Christ, to whom the glory unto the ages. Amen.” *This
benediction closes and seals all that preceded in the book of Romans. What
Paul taught by revelation concerning “The One New Man,” Christ's spiritual
body the Church, composed of both Jew and Gentile - in Romans, 1
Corinthians, Ephesians and Colossians - is *all* sealed by this same
benediction. Blessed is he who perceives and walks in this revelation.

 1 Corinthians 2:7 (6-16) *GOD'S HIDDEN MYSTERY OF WISDOM. “But we speak
God's wisdom in **mystery**, the hidden **wisdom** which God foreordained
before the ages unto our glory: **8** which none of the rulers of this :age
have known: for had they known **it**, they would not have crucified the
Lord of :glory.” * Notice that the wisdom of God in His heart from the
beginning was not disclosed during Old Testament times, nor during the life
of Jesus on earth. God reserved this disclosure when he had groomed the
apostle Paul for this important revelation.

 1 Corinthians 4:1 (1-5) *APOSTLES: STEWARDS OF GOD'S MYSTERIES. “Let a man
so account of us, as of ministers of Christ, and stewards of God's **
mysteries**.” *Notice that *being faithful* is a key mark of true stewards
of God's *mysteries*. Paul certainly was this. George Muller of the 1800's
was a contemporary steward who also qualified. Suffering and humility are
other key marks of true apostles.

 1 Corinthians 12:31b-13:1-2 (13:1-13) *KNOWLEDGE OF MYSTERIES WITHOUT LOVE:
WORTHLESS. “And I show you moreover an excellent way, **13:1** If with the
tongues of :men I speak, and of :angels, but have not love, I am become
sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal. **2** And if prophecy I have, and all
the **mysteries** I know and all knowledge; and if all faith I have, so as
to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.” *The humble person
like Paul and George Muller qualify here. Jesus said, By their
*fruits*shall you know true ministers. If they lack this
qualification, they have
failed, and we are not to fear them.

 1 Corinthians 14:2 (1-19) *PRAYER LANGUAGE TO GOD IS IN MYSTERIES. “For who
speaks in a tongue speaks not to men, but to God; for no one hears; but in
spirit he speaks **mysteries**.” *Because testified of using this gift more
than any of the Corinthian believers, it would seem that God used Paul to
impart to him revelation of the *mysteries* that he later on shared with all
the the city churches in his writings. For 3 years following his conversion,
he met with God alone in the desert, and most probably this was an enriching
time when God prepared His servant in the stewardship that he later so
faithfully discharged.

 1 Corinthians 15:51 (35-58) *THE MYSTERY OF RESURRECTION PRIOR TO DEATH.
“Lo, I tell you a **mystery**: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be
changed.” * Here again we have a revelation uniquely presented by Paul, that
previously was unknown. It is a great encouragement to believers. On talk
shows we hear leaders confessing they have no authentic understanding on
this or the life to come. But *we* understand, for God has revealed this *
mystery* to us through His chosen vessel, the apostle Paul. To keep him
humble in the light of the many extraordinary revelations, He was required
to send Paul a “thorn in the flesh.”

 Ephesians 1:9 (3-14) *THE MYSTERY OF GOD'S WILL IN CHRIST. “Having made
known to us the **mystery** of his :will, according to his :good pleasure
which he purposed in him (Christ).” *This is a tremendous passage. Numbers
have memorized it. Early in the 70's, I led a class of some 60 in preparing
word studies on each significant word in it. It was a rich experience. One
youth who is a medical doctor today, did excellent work in his research,
coming up with valuable insights. *Christ* is the key to all of God's
purposes on our behalf. As we keep our focus on Him, the *mysteries* will
become part of the warp and woof of our being.

 *Ephesians 3:1-6 (1-13) THE MYSTERY OF THE ONE NEW MAN. “For this cause I
Paul, the prisoner of the Christ, Jesus, in behalf of you :nations,- 2 if so
that you have heard of the dispensation of the grace of :God :given me
toward you; 3 how that by revelation was made know to me the mystery, as I
wrote afore in few words, 4 whereby, when you read, you can perceive my
:understanding in the mystery of the Christ; which in other generations was
not made known to the sons of :men as it has now been revealed to his holy
:apostles and prophets in Spirit: 6 that the nations are fellow-heirs, and
fellow-bodied and fellow-partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through
the gospel.” I believe we have before us here, the key mystery of all the 27
mysteries mentioned in the New Testament. When I was a very new believer in
1944, Lee Ellenwood from California came up and ministered in Victoria and
Port Alberni BC that summer. One of his key verses was *1 Corinthians 12:12
(12-31) *THE NATURE OF CHRIST'S BODY. Think of it! Our body has many members
and trillions of cells. But Christ is Head of a spiritual body composed of
both Jewish and Gentile believers. The “Fellowship of the Table” required
for this - is clearly set forth by Dr. Daniel Juster of “Tikkun Ministries.”
*

 Ephesians 3:9-10 (1-13) *THIS DISPENSATION OF GOD'S MYSTERY NO LONGER HID.
“And to bring to light what **is** the dispensation of the **mystery** :hid
for the ages in :God who created :all **things**; **10** **in order
that**now unto the
**principalities and the powers** in the heavenlies be made know through the
church the manifold wisdom of :God, **11** according to a plan of the ages
which he made in the Christ, Jesus our Lord: **12** in whom we have
:boldness and access in confidence through his :faith.” *This is a direct
follow-up to the preceding 2 reference to *mystery*. Imagine! God has chosen
the Church of Christ through the teaching of his apostles and prophets to
reveal to Satan and his high officers their final doom through the wisdom of
God through Christ's body - the church!

 Ephesians 5:31-32 (22-33) *THE MYSTERY OF CHRIST AND HIS CHURCH. “For this
cause shall a man leave :father and :mother, and shall cleave to his :wife;
and the two shall be one flesh. **32** This **mystery** is great: but I
speak **in regard** to Christ and the church.” *Now this indeed is a *
mystery*. Again, God in his wisdom has chosen the marriage of a man and a
woman to illustrate His church. Homosexuality and Lesbianism is a
*parody*of this, and the day will come when God will make this
abundantly clear. How
do human marriages show forth this higher spiritual union wherein believers
and Christ as Head become one spirit? Let us pray that through
*meditation*in the spirit of Joshua 1:8, and the building up of our
spirits through
praying in the spirit, will enable God to lift many marriages to this true
picture of Christ and His Church.

 Ephesians 6:19 (10-20) *PAUL: PRAYER NEEDED TO DECLARE THE MYSTERY OF THE
GOSPEL. **Pray** on my behalf, that utterance be given me in opening my
:mouth with boldness to make know the **mystery** of the gospel.” *It should
not surprise us to know how much Satan fears the true and clear and bold
preaching* *of the Gospel! The Good News of Christ and His Kingdom - both
now and soon coming in greater fulfillment - spells his doom! So - he
hinders men like Paul so they find it difficult to preach boldly this
extraordinary Good News. But - our prayers on behalf of true preachers -
enables them to break through for this in a way that glorifies God, saves
and delivers souls, and disciples them to the standard that pleases the
heart of God.

 Colossians 1:25-27 (24-29) *THE GLORY OF GOD'S MYSTERY TO THE NATIONS. “I
became minister, according to the dispensation of :God :given me toward you
to fulfill the word of :God, **26** the **mystery** :hid from the ages and
from the generations: but now has it been manifested to his :saints,
**27**to whom :God was pleased to make known what
**is** the riches of the glory of this :**mystery** among the nations, which
is **Christ in you, the hope of glory**.” *Colosse was close to Ephesus in
Asia Minor, present day Turkey, and one of the 7 churches of Revelation.
Apparently Paul wrote this special letter to the Colossians, somewhat
paralleling the letter he wrote to the Ephesians. They probably shared these
2 letters with each other. The great phrase - “*Christ in you, the hope of
glory*,” however, sets forth this letter in a unique manner, as enlarging on
the *mystery* of the Gospel in Christ.

 Colossians 2:1-3 (1-5) *A MYSTERY CONTAINING ALL WISDOM AND KNOWLEDGE. “For
I would have you know how great a conflict I have for you, and for them at
Laodicea, and for as many as have not seen my :face in **the** flesh;
**2**that their :hearts be comforted, being knit together in love, and
unto all
riches of the fullness of the understanding, unto full knowledge of the **
mystery** of :God, Christ, **3** in whom are all the treasures of :wisdom
and knowledge hidden.” *This somewhat parallels 1 Corinthians 1:30-31.
Notice how the apostle Paul maintains his focus on Christ in all of his
letters. And he said, “Follow me, as I follow Christ.”

 Colossians 4:2-4 (2-6) *A DOOR NEEDED TO PROCLAIM THE MYSTERY OF CHRIST.
“Continue steadfastly in :prayer, watching therein with thanksgiving;
**3**withal praying for us also, that :God open us a door for the
word, to speak
the **mystery** of the Christ, for which I am also in bonds; **4** that I
may make it manifest, as I ought to speak.” *See the humility of the apostle
Paul in this. He knew that the bold proclamation of the *mystery* in Christ
was dependent upon the prayers of the saints on his behalf. If we want the
results that come form heaven's true anointing upon our lives, we too will
humble ourselves and sincerely seek the prayers of our fellow-believers.
Note that God opens closed doors in answer to the prayers of others. Charles
G. Finney reached a stage where he was unable to break through with his own
prayers. In New York he begged the prayers of the saints. They responded,
and as great results Finney had ever experienced took place, and one fruit
of it was “Revival Lectures,” that came out of that Crusade.

 2 Thessalonians 2:7 (1-12) *THE PRESENT MYSTERY OF LAWLESSNESS. “For the **
mystery** of :lawlessness does already work: only **there is** :one that
restrains now, until he become out of **the** midst.” *The *mystery* of
lawlessness was hidden until the preaching and writings of the apostle Paul.
This whole epistle majors on this subject, and throws much light on it.
Those who master these insights can enter into a higher and more effective
form of intercession.

 1 Timothy 3:8-9 (1-13) *THE MYSTERY OF THE FAITH. “Deacons likewise **must
be** grave, not double-tongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy
lucre; **9** holding the **mystery** of the faith in a pure conscience.” *Here
“faith” is used to speak of the full teaching of Christianity. And it *is* a
*mystery*! It requires faith to press in and understand the *mystery* of the
faith. Note that it is not just the city church elders who need this, but
the deacons too, who in the beginning waited on tables. Philip and Stephen
were two of the 7 original deacons - and their solid understanding of the *
mystery* of the faith led God to catapult both of them into the higher
function of the evangelist.

 1 Timothy 3:16 (14-16) *THE MYSTERY OF GODLINESS PERTAINING TO CHRIST. “And
confessedly great is the **mystery** of :godliness; Who was manifested in **
the** flesh, Seen of Angels, Preached among nations, Believed on in
**the**world, Received up in glory.”
* Here we find Paul grooming his protege, who one day would take his place.
He later became the apostolic pastor of the city church of Ephesus, composed
of many local churches in the home. All of Asia Minor heard the Gospel from
this church. Paul later said that if he sent Timothy on an assignment, and
they received him in the right spirit - it would be as good and helpful as
if they had Paul himself. What a commendation! So - Timothy understood the
above *mystery* of godliness concerning Christ, with all 5 aspects of this
truth.

 Revelation 1:20 (9-20) *THE MYSTERY OF THE SEVEN STARS. “The **mystery** of
the seven stars which you saw in my :right, and the seven :golden
lampstands. The seven stars are angels of the seven churches: and the seven
:lampstands are seven churches.” *In “Visions Beyond the Veil” by H. A,
Baker, the little former orphans and beggars saw a large angel over a
church, as well as a human pastor. Mr. Baker from their coordinated
accounts, I believe, rightly assumed that what the children saw was correct.
God does deploy an important angel over a city church, just as Satan deploys
principalities and powers over cities, regions and nations. Daniel heard
from Gabriel that the Prince of the power of Persia held him up until
Michael came and routed him. Michael is the angelic prince of God over
Israel. These things that were *mysteries* became clarified in New Testament
times.

 Revelation 10:7 (1-11) *THE 7TH TRUMP AND THE MYSTERY OF GOD. “But in the
days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he is about to trump,
**then**is also finished the
**mystery** of :God, according to **the** good tidings **which** he declared
to his :bondmen the prophets.” *This is a significant word. Jesus on the
Cross cried out, “It is Finished,” for He had fulfilled the will of God who
sent Him, and His Finished Work on Calvary ushered in a new day for Adam's
Race. The 7th Trump in Revelation finished the sequence of events opening up
those things revealed in New Testament times, especially to the apostle
Paul. What God starts - He finishes. What was hidden in *mysteries* - has
been fully revealed in this Gospel Age.

 Revelation 17:4-5, 7 (1-18) *A MYSTERY: BABYLON THE GREAT - and - THE
MYSTERY OF THE WOMAN AND BEAST. “And the woman was arrayed in purple and
scarlet, and gilded with gold and precious stone and pearls, having in her
:hand a golden cup full of abominations, and the unclean **things** of her
:fornication, **5** and upon her :forehead a name written, a **mystery**,
BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF THE HARLOTS AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE
EARTH. ... **7** And the angel said to me, Why did you wonder? I will tell
you the **mystery** of the woman, and of the beast that carries her, which
has the seven heads and the ten horns.” *In the last days, Religion and
Politics will unite in an uneasy alliance for the purposes of Satan. The *
mystery* of religion is likened to a woman. The beast she rides is the ruler
sent by Satan, who in the end destroys the woman. Both the woman and the
Beast are *mysteries*. Clues are given here to help identify them. However,
Jesus said that Prophecy is not so much to help us understand the future in
detail, but more as a confirmation, that *when it comes to pass*, we can
look back and say, “Why that's exactly what Jesus predicted, and its
fulfillment *is* confirmation of His rule as true Lord and Christ, even as
the Father designated Him.* * * *

 *NOTE*: The word “Mystery” is sufficiently defined in the respective notes
with the above references.

 To restate - it seems to me that in Ephesians 3:1-6 - we find the key
reference in this Word Study that opens up our full understanding to it. The
“One New Man” concept set forth so clearly by the apostle Paul, was one of
the more difficult mysteries for not just normal Jews, but even particularly
for Jewish believers in Jesus. Acts 15 is the key New Testament chapter plus
the book of Galatians, to show both the unity between Jew and Gentile in the
church - but also the differences.

 Messianic Jewish Congregations still rock back and forth over the
revelation of this mystery.

 At the return of Jesus for His church as King of kings and Lord of lords -
soon all these difficulties and misconceptions will be solved and put to
rest. - Jim Watt

*NOTE:  *Several readers of our mailing complained about receiving multiples
of an individual email. Our Webmaster checked into this, and discovered that
there is a glitch with those of you who are served by "yahoo.ca." Apparently
they are failing to respond when they send one of our mailings. As a result,
our server keeps resending until finally they respond. Those signed up here
might wish to contact your server with this information. - Jim Watt

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org<mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org?subject=Just%20hit%20send%20be%20automatically%20subscribed>
*

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE -- Please Email: