14-fold Overview

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 17:55:35 PST 2009

"*TWO ARE BETTER THAN ONE" MINISTRIES*

*Jim & Marie Watt*

*Tel: 253.874.4265 -- Email: jmbetter at gmail.com*

*Web: www.2rbetter.org*

   *2009-01-28 - 14-FOLD OVERVIEW*

*A HARMONY OF ISRAEL AND THE CHURCH*

 This fourteen lesson survey constitutes a crash program for training lay
Eldership. The twelve sons of Jacob plus the two sons of Joseph each
represent a dominant truth that finds a parallel in the natural series
contained in the New Testament. Just as there are seven churches of
Revelation, so there are seven churches of Paul. The first nine of the
surveys are the keys to Paul's seven churches: Rome, Corinth, Galatia,
Ephesus, Philippi, Colosse and Thessalonica. Ephesus is the fulcrum of these
seven, and is the only church containing more than one of these natural
series. Colosse finds its series in John, and Thessalonica in Revelation.

 *1. BENJAMIN* is the wolf-man desperately needing *Conversion. *King Saul
and Saul of Tarsus were of this tribe. *Hebrews 6:1-2 (5:11-6:8)* - the
Gospel for the Jews - and Romans (Gospel for the Gentiles) provide the steps
that lead to a true conversion experience. Study these twin presentations
carefully, for they are *foundations* for all that follows. A vital
experience in the Holy Spirit following baptism leads naturally into all
further truth.

 *2. ZEBULUN *represents *Missions.* *1 Corinthians 12:8-11 (12:4-11)*, the
*Gifts of the Spirit*, make Missions powerful and apostolic. Christians are
to manifest gifts as soon as saved. Missionary Paul justified his
apostleship on the basis of powerful gifts (2 Corinthians 12:12). Note that
the Church of Corinth, though a carnal church, yet manifested all the gifts
of theSpirit. Note that in1 Corinthians 12:28 and Ephesians 4:11, God "set"
(aorist tense) and "gave" (aorist tense) gifts and ministries to the church
for as long as there would be a church. God did not intend them to cease
with the apostolic age, and according to church history, they did not.

 *3. ISSACHAR* represents *The Wise Soul-Winner.* Qualification for the soul
winner is *the Fruit of the Spirit, **Galatians 5:22-23 (5:16-24)*. The
fruit of the Spirit is also a guard against returning to legalism, man's
traditions, natural man's way of doing things, and walking in lusts of the
flesh (Galatians 5:16). Sow to the Spirit that you received after baptism,
and you will reap the nature of Christ, and He being lifted up in you, will
draw souls to Himself!

 *4. JOSEPH *is the man of *Fruitfulness and Revelation*: the two go
together. See Daniel also. Joseph united all the sons of Jacob for
preservation in Egypt. The spirit of Joseph is the spirit of Ephesians 4:3-6
(4:1-16), which will unite Israel and the church in the Millennium.
These "*seven
unities"* bind together the whole body of Christ, forming the "One New Man."
If we are clear on the definitions of this survey, we can fellowship
together as Christians in these great essentials, until 1 Corinthians 1:10
and Isaiah 29:24 are fulfilled.

 *5. EPHRAIM *is also *a Fruitful One.* He is a type of the church, even in
her backsliding. The ministry-gifts of Christ in *Ephesians 4:11 (4:1-16); 1
Corinthians 12:28 (12:12-31); Titus 1:5 and 1 Timothy 3:12* lead individual
members into obedience and faith unto baptism, and all the glories of
Kingdom privileges. This Ephraim ministry will bring forth the goal of
Ephesians 4:12-16 for the church.

 *6. GAD*, a lion, *a troop**,* is he who is overcome, but *overcomes* at
last (Revelation 12:11)! He does so through the *Armor of God*, *Ephesians
6:10-20.* Like Gad, we should recognize that we overcome Satan when properly
defended and guarded. We may lose a battle, but we shall surely win the war
(Ephesians 6:12 and Revelation 12:11).

 *7. NAPHTALI* is *the wrestling hind. *He enters rest through overcoming
the trials of life. Self-denial, reckoning oneself dead through
identification with Christ's death, allows the restful beauty of Christ to
shine through. The self-denying mind of Christ on behalf of others is seen
in *Philippians 4:8 (4:8-9).*

 *8. JUDAH *means *Praise! *From him descends the Lion of the Tribe of
Judah; Colossians sets forth this same truth in the Pre-eminence of Christ!
Just as Judah was first among the tribes in order of the march (Numbers 2),
so Christ is pre-eminent in all of God's creation. John, the spiritual
gospel, whose emblem is the eagle, sets forth the same pre-eminency through
*the 7 "I AMS." * Through Christ and Judah, the shout of a king is in the
midst of Israel and the Church (Numbers 23:21). Like Wigglesworth we should
challenge one another, "Can you shout the shout of joy and faith?"

 *9. DAN* means *Judge*. Dan finds his New Testament parallel in
Thessalonians and the Second Coming. We must through the Holy Spirit have a
sanctified and holy work done in our lives, so that as *overcomers*, we
might have part in the first resurrection! All God's promises are to
overcomers! to disciples! to those who deny themselves, take up their cross
daily and follow Christ! The words of the Lord Jesus to* the seven churches
of Revelation* *(Revelation 2-3)*, form a composite picture of the
conditions for the overcoming life.

 *10. LEVI *means *Joined*. Though Levi shared a curse (Genesis 34:25-30;
49:5-7) of scattering with Simeon, yet in Numbers 25:7-13 we read that the
zeal of Phineas caused God to modify this curse and turn it into a blessing.
Through his scattering, Levi became a blessing through teaching the twelve
tribes, and leading them in true guidance and worship. Ironically, it was a
member of Simeon's tribe that Phineas slew. The wisdom of the priesthood has
its counter-part in the *spirit of wisdom* of *James 3:17 (3:13-18).* Clyde
Narramore sets forth this passage as the guide for all counselors.

 *11. MANASSEH* means *Forgetfulness. *Ephraim was set before Manasseh,
though the younger, just as the church has pre-eminence above Israel. The
greater spiritual blessing came to the church; yet Israel, like Manasseh,
has *not been forgotten.* Replacement Theology has forgotten this. 1948
witnessed the return of Israel to her homeland as a nation. June 1967
witnessed the occupancy of Jerusalem by Israel: Jerusalem shall be trodden
down by the Gentiles or non-Jews until the end. Soon the time of Jacob's
trouble will commence under a world-wide ruler called the Syrian. *1 Peter
4:7-11* reveals the changes that ought to take place in our lives in the
light of the end times, when consummation for both Israel and the Church
takes place. Romans 9-11 reveals this coming union.

 *12. REUBEN*, a man of weakness and indecision, could have prevailed had he
availed himself of spiritual resources. Sin, disgrace and great loss came to
him because he did not lay a good foundation, could not curb his lust and
weakness. Fasting helps to overcome weakness and lust of the flesh. *2 Peter
1:6-8 (1:1-11)* reveals eight virtues, that if diligently built into our
lives in a character sense, cause us to abound and be fruitful. Blindness
and lack of purging from old sins come upon us if we neglect them. However,
though Reuben lost the Kingship, the Blessing and the Priesthood because of
sin, yet God reserved for him Simeon and Gad on the South side of the
Tabernacle, and identification with the 8* blessings of Israel in Romans
9:4-5 (9:1-13).*

 *13. SIMEON*, cruel, vindictive and unrestrained, suffered loss in Israel,
and eventually became swallowed up in Judah. We have modern counter-parts
like Simeon, who fiercely resisted his father's rebuke, and justified
himself in a lawless act. He who is truly repentant and believes the gospel,
will show a different type of evidence of God's working in his life. *1 John
reveals six evidences of a truly converted man.* The new birth reveals
itself in unmistakable changes, that should be studied carefully by those
who mistake profession and intellectual assent for true possession and
transformation. By their fruits you shall know them!

 *14. ASHER *is the happy man of *true heart religion. **The Lotd's Prayer,
Matthew 6:5-15,* leads to the truly blessed life. Only a man of union with
God through the true pattern of prayer can evidence *the Beatitudes, Matthew
5:1-12)*, the true fruit of the blessed man. And God is more interested in
what we *are* to and *with* Him, that what we do *for* Him!

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org<mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org?subject=Just%20hit%20send%20be%20automatically%20subscribed>
*

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE -- Please Email: