Exodus 18 = Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 17:39:09 PST 2009

"*TWO ARE BETTER THAN ONE" MINISTRIES*

*Jim & Marie Watt*

*Tel: 253.874.4265 -- Email: jmbetter at gmail.com*

*Web: www.2rbetter.org*

   *2009-01-25 - EXODUS 18 - GOD CONFIRMS JETHRO'S COUNSEL*

 *1. 18:5-6 (18:1-6) JETHRO: RE-UNITES MOSES' FAMILY. "And Jethro, Moses'
father-in-law, came with his two sons and his wife unto Moses into the
wilderness where he was encamped, at the mount of God: 6 and he said unto
Moses, I, your father-in-law Jethro, am come unto you, and your wife, and
her two sons with her." *Jethro knew it was not good for a husband to live
alone. We thank You Father, for the sense of duty in Moses' father-in-law,
and his obedience to Kingdom Principles! *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 18:10-11 (18:7-11) JETHRO: REJOICES OVER MOSES' REPORT. "And Jethro
said, Blessed be Jehovah, who has delivered you out of the hand of the
Egyptians, and out of the hand of Pharaoh; who has delivered the people from
under the hand of the Egyptians. 11 Now I know that Jehovah is greater than
all gods; yes, in the thing wherein they dealt proudly against them."*

What a wonderful testimony to You, Father! *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 18:12 JETHRO: AS PRIEST SACRIFICES TO GOD. "And Jethro, Moses'
father-in-law, took a burnt-offering and sacrifices for God: and Aaron came,
and all the elders of Israel, to eat bread with Moses' father-in-law before
God." *Jethro served here like Melchizedek as priest to You Father, the Most
High God! We cannot honor You enough! *Your :will be done, as in heaven, so
on earth.*

 *4. 18:17-18 (18:13-18) JETHRO: COUNSELS MOSES TO SAVE STRENGTH. "And
Moses' father-in-law said unto him, The thing that you do is not good.
18You will surely wear away, both you, and this ;people that is with
you: for
the thing is too heavy for you; you are not able to perform it yourself
alone." *How strange that it often takes a stranger to point out to us
Father, the impracticality of our ways. When we fall short in wisdom, make
us open like Moses to the wise counsel of others. *Our :daily :bread, Give
us this day.*

 *5. 18:19-20 JETHRO: COUNSELS MOSES TO SHARE APPLYING TORAH. "Listen now
unto my voice, I will give you counsel, and God be with you: be you for the
people to Godward, and bring you the causes unto God: 20 and you shall teach
them the statutes and the laws, and shall show them the way wherein they
must walk, and the work that they must do." *Here is wise counsel indeed,
which you Father, later confirmed. *And forgive us our :debts, As we also
have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 18:23 (18:21-23) JETHRO: COUNSELFS MOSES TO TRAIN JUDGES. "If you shall
do this thing, and God command you so, then you shall be able to endure, and
all this people also shall go to their place in peace." What* a wise word!
What deference to You Father, from an outsider. We should learn to walk in
truth, no matter from where its source. *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 18:24 (18:24-27) THE LORD: CONFIRMS COUNSEL OF JETHRO. "So Moses
listened to the voice of his father-in-law, and did all that he had
said." *You Father, confirmed that Jethro's word was Your Word! And
this word acted
upon brought blessing to Moses and Israel. We should praise You when Your
counsel through others brings blessing. *But deliver us from the evil one.*

 *NOTE:** **CONCLUSION - 18:21 (18:21-23) FOUR QUALIFICATIONS FOR SMALL
GROUP LEADERS. "Moreover you shall provide out of all the people able men,
such as fear God, men of truth, hating unjust gain; and place such over
them, to be rulers of thousands, rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and
rulers of tens." *We note these four qualifications. All four are needed;
but without *ability,* the following three could not function.

 The early church met in homes, and were small groups not larger than 50-100
at the most. Many homes were larger in those days, and could accommodate a
number of families. One elder assisted by his wife looked after these
smaller groups. Each of these elders met regularly, representing the elders
in the gate of the city, composed of the 5-fold ministries of Ephesians
4:11.

 When Jesus fed the 4000 and 5000 as recorded in the Gospels, He had the
disciples seat the men in groups of 50's and 100's, along with their
families.

 There is a church in the SeaTac Metroplex with 10,000 members - but in that
church there are 500 groups of some 8-10 in each that meet weekly and under
a leader, study the sermon outline given by the pastor the preceding Sunday.
Over 60% of the members have entered the Kingdom of God under the ministry
of this church, and are discipled through the home groups. The Jethro
concept as given to Moses is well-known, and adapted for our times.

 In John Wesley's day in the 1700's - some 70,000 converts met weekly in
groups of 8, and followed a mutual-help time, following a few practical
goals, plus 52 sermons outlining the basic theology of the early Methodists
through "Wesley's Doctrinal Standards." One British Sociologist said that
apart from Wesley's Class Meetings, the French Revolution of 1789 would have
leaped the English Channel and brought its devastation to Great Britain.
Lenin was so impressed with the still functioning Class Meetings of the
early 1900's, that he adapted them and incorporated them into the Cell
Groups of Communism.

 Today - God is about to visit the Church again with Revival and
Reformation. To achieve a safety net for these new "fish", churches must
prepare to help one another disciple or "clean" their fish.

 Look again at the 4 points Jethro shared with Moses that equips for good
and effective leadership: *"Competent;* God-fearing; honest and
incorruptible. Would to God such conditions were required for our political
leaders today!

 But such qualifications are highly important for small home groups today. A
returned missionary from Israel has spelled out the low-standard of church
members in many of the American and Canadian churches of today. Paul also
complained about the believers of his day in Hebrews 5:11 (5:11-6:8) *"For
when by reason of the time you ought to be teachers, you have need that some
one teach you the rudiments of the beginning of the oracles of :God, and are
become such as need milk, not solid food." *He then lays out 6 foundation
truths that must be solidly laid and understood, before going on to become "
*perfect men."*

 Let us *prepare today* for God's visitation prior to the return of His Son.
Jethro and the thoughts above can be helps in this direction. - Jim Watt

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org<mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org?subject=Just%20hit%20send%20be%20automatically%20subscribed>
*

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE -- Please Email: