1 Corinthians 5:1-13

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 16:22:20 PST 2009

"*TWO ARE BETTER THAN ONE" MINISTRIES*

*Jim & Marie Watt*

*Tel: 253.874.4265 -- Email: jmbetter at gmail.com*

*Web: www.2rbetter.org*

   *2009-01-17 - 1 CORINTHIANS 5:1-13 - PURGE ADULTERY OUT FROM CHURCH*

 *II. 5:1-7:40 - ON ADULTERY AND MARRIAGE RELATIONSHIPS*

*A. 5:1-13 PURGE ADULTERY OUT FROM CHURCH*

*1. 5:1-8 A WARNING: DEAL WITH ADULTERY*

*a. 5:1 EXTREME FORNICATION*

HOl*o*s aKOUe-tai en huMIN porNEIa [4202],

*Fornication is actually reported among you,*

kai toiAUt*e* porNEIa H*E*tis ouDE en tois ETHne-sin [1484],

*and such fornication as is not even among the nations,*

H*O*Ste guNAI-KA [1135] ti-na tou paTROS Echein.

*that one has his :father's wife.*

 *b. 5:2 LACK OF CONSCIENCE IN THIS*

kai huMEIS pe-phu-si-*o*MEnoi [5448] esTE, kai ouCHI MALlon e-penTH*E*sa-te
[3996],

*And you are puffed up, and did not rather mourn,*

HIna arTH*E* [1808] ek MEsou huM*O*N ho to ERgon TOUto PRAxas [4160].

*that who had done this deed be taken away from among you.*

 *c. 5:3-5 PAUL'S SERIOUS METHOD OF JUDGMENT*

E-G*O* men gar, aP*O*N [548] t*o* S*O*ma-ti paR*O*N de t*o* PNEUma-ti,

*For I verily, being absent in :body but present in :spirit,*

*E*d*e* KEkri-ka [2919] h*o*s pa-R*O*N [3918] ton HOUt*o*s TOUto
ka-ter-gaSAme-non [2716],

*have already as if present judged him that has so wrought this,*

en t*o* oNOma-ti tou KuRIou h*e*M*O*N 'I*e*SOU, su-nachTHENt*o*n [4863] huM*
O*N,

*4 in the name of our :Lord Jesus, you being gathered,*

kai tou eMOU PNEUma-tos, sun t*e* duNAmei tou KuRIou h*e*M*O*N 'I*e*SOU,

*and my :spirit, with the power of our :Lord Jesus,*

pa-raDOUnai [3860] ton toiOUton t*o* Sa-taNA [4567] eis Ole-thron [3639] t*e
*s sarKOS,

*5 to deliver the such to :Satan for destruction of the flesh,*

HIna to PNEUma s*o*TH*E* en t*e* h*e*MEra tou KuRIou.

*that the spirit be saved in the day of the Lord.*

 *d. 5:6a PAUL'S COMMENT*

Ou kaLON to KAUch*e*-ma [2745] huM*O*N.

*Your glorying is not good.*

 *e. 5:6b PAUL'S SERIOUS INSIGHT*

ouk OIda-te HOti mikRA ZUm*e* [2219] HOlon to PHUra-ma [5445] zuMOI?

*Know you not that a little leaven leavens the whole lump?*

 *f. 5:7a PAUL'S SOLUTION*

ek-kaTHAra-te [1571] t*e*n pa-laiAN [3820] ZUm*e*n, HIna *E*te NEon
[3501]PHUra-ma,

*Purge out the old leaven, that you be a new lump,*

kaTH*O*S es-te Azu-moi [106].

*even as you are unleavened.*

 *g. 5:7b-8 PROPER OBSERVANCE OF CHRIST'S PASSOVER*

kai gar to PAScha [3957] h*e*M*O*N eTUth*e* [2380], ChrisTOS:

*For our :passover also has been sacrificed, Christ:*

H*O*Ste he-orTAz*o*-men [1858], m*e* en ZUm*e* pa-laiA,

*8 wherefore let us keep festival, not with old leaven,*

m*e*DE en ZUm*e* kaKIas [2549] kai po-n*e*RIas [4189],

*neither with leaven of malice and wickedness,*

all' en aZUmois ei-li-kriNIas [1505] kai a-l*e*THEIas [225].

*but with unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.*

 *2. 5:9-13 SEPARATE FROM CHRISTIAN FORNICATORS*

*a. 5:9-11 TREATMENT OF WORLDLY VERSUS CHRISTIAN FORNICATORS*

Egra-psa huMIN en t*e* e-pis-toL*E* m*e* su-na-naMIGnus-thai [4874] porNOIS;

*I wrote you in the epistle not to mingle with fornicators;*

ou PANt*o*s tois PORnois tou KOSmou TOUtou,

*10 not at all meaning with the fornicators of this :world,*

*e* tois ple-oNEKtais [4123] kai HARpa-xin [727], *e* ei-d*o*-loLAtrais
[1496];

*or with the covetous and extortioners, or with idolaters;*

ePEI *o*PHEIle-te [3784] Ara ek tou KOSmou e-xelTHEIN:

*since you must then go out of the world:*

nun de Egra-psa huMIN m*e* su-na-naMIGnus-thai [4874],

*11 but now I write you not to mingle with,*

eAN tis a-delPHOS a-no-maZOme-nos [3687] *e* PORnos,

*if any that is named a brother be a fornicator,*

*e* ple-oNEKt*e*s, *e* ei-d*o*-loLAtr*e*s, *e* LOIdo-ros [3060], *e*MEthu-sos
[3183],

*or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard,*

 *e* HARpax [727]; t*o* toiOUt*o* m*e*DE su-nesTHIein [4906].

*or an extortioner; with the such no, not to eat.*

 *b. 5:12a QUESTION*

ti gar moi tous Ex*o* KRInein?

*For what have I to do with judging those without?*

  *c. 5:12b-13a SPHERES OF JUDGMENT*

ouCHI tous Es*o* huMEIS KRInete,

*Do not YOU judge those within,*

tous de Ex*o* ho TheOS KRInei?

*13a and those without :God judges?*

 *d. 5:13b PROPER JUDGMENT FOR CHRISTIANS*

eXAra-te [1808] ton po-n*e*RON ex huM*O*N auT*O*N.

*Put away the wicked man from among yourselves.*

 *NOTE:* This section is *so different* from our 20th Century Western
Church! We have lowered the bars from God's standards and substituted
watered-down worldly standards. No wonder our Western Church is under the
Judgment of God! Paul absolutely insisted that God's standards should
prevail in the Corinthian church. His analogy of old leaven leavening the
pure lump, should motivate church leaders to come together in conference,
and pray and plan how to restore and raise the lowered bars!

 Marie and I pastored the Kostner Avenue Baptist Church of Chicago from
1953-1958. It grew from 16 to 200 during our tenure, and the spirit of
growth prevailed following our leaving, until the attendance and membership
soon reached 800. But - the growth took place largely because we lowered the
bars of God's standards. The leaders and people wanted outer success at the
expense of inner spirituality. Israel wanted the same under Samuel, when
they insisted on a king, so they could be like the other nations. God told
Samuel - *"Go ahead and let them have their way, because they are determined
not to go My way! But warn them of the sad results for lowering My
standards."*

 God gave me a similar message. *"Give them their way. Both you and they
will see the price to pay for carnal insistence. But I will never ask you to
do this again in your ministry."*

 The above was a valuable lesson for me, and I trust for them also.

 Just before this time, while I was attending Northern Baptist Theological
Seminary in Chicago, we had a guest speaker at Chapel, who had seriously let
down God's standards in his personal life. He had embraced the modernistic
and humanistic standards of that day. One of our doctoral students said, *"I
would not allow that man to enter my home and set his feet under my table."
*He was referring to 2 John 10-11 (4-11), *"If any comes unto you, and
brings not this :teaching, receive him not into **your** house and give him
no greeting: **11** for who gives him greeting partakes in his :evil
:works." *

 I believe he was correct in his application of this passage. He took
seriously 1 Corinthians 5:9-13, that we as believers are to separate from
Christian fornicators. A fornicator (porNOS) who professes to be a believer,
must be judged and dealt with. Corinth followed Paul's counsel and did so,
following this letter of admonition. A fornicator is one who commits broad
sexual sin which includes sex among the unmarried; adultery between the
married; homosexuality and lesbian activity; bestiality; and much more. The
Bible is explicitly clear on this. And those who seriously regard God's
Bible Numerics as unfolded by Ivan Panin, will know how the Lord Jesus will
meet us at His Judgment Seat (B*E*ma) following His return again. The Bible
in over 12 different passages says that they who habitually commit the
above, shall not enter the Kingdom of God.

 Some feel this is a cruel and mean standard, and that the apostle Paul
missed God in this. I strongly disagree and stand against such humanistic
and namby-pamby thinking. I prefer to see 1 Corinthians 14:37 (14:37-40) - *"If
any thinks himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him take knowledge of
what **things** I write you, that it is **the** **Lord's commandment**." *We
should understand that this is *God* in Christ Jesus speaking by the Holy
Spirit through Paul!

 Derek Prince used to start each lecture by reviewing the preceding one.
Repetition is one of the essential principles of pedagogy. Sometimes we need
to hear a truth reiterated and repeated again and again, before it sinks in
and leads us to action that glorifies God. - Jim Watt

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org<mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org?subject=Just%20hit%20send%20be%20automatically%20subscribed>
*

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE -- Please Email: