Called by God - Oswald Chambers

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 17:18:03 PST 2009

"*TWO ARE BETTER THAN ONE" MINISTRIES*

*Jim & Marie Watt*

*Tel: 253.874.4265 -- Email: jmbetter at gmail.com*

*Web: www.2rbetter.org*

 * 2009-01-16 - "CALLED BY GOD"*

*(From "My Utmost for His Highest" - Oswald Chambers)*

 *Isaiah 6:8 (6:1-13) "I heard the voice of the Lord saying: 'Whom shall I
send and who will go for Us?' Then I said 'Here am I! Send me'"*

 God did not direct His call to Isaiah - Isaiah overheard God saying, *"...
who will go for Us?" *The call of God is not just for a select few but for
everyone. Whether I hear God's call or not depends on the condition of my
ears and exactly what I hear depends upon my spiritual attitude. *"Many are
called but few are chosen" (Matthew 22:14 - [22:1-14]).* That is few prove
that they are the chosen ones. The chosen ones are those who have come into
a relationship with God through Jesus Christ and have had their spiritual
condition changed and their ears opened. Then they hear *"the voice of the
Lord" *continually asking *"... who will go for Us?" *However, God doesn't
single out someone and say "Now *you *go." He did not force His will on
Isaiah, Isaiah was in the presence of God and he overheard the call. His
response, performed in complete freedom, could only be to say *"Here am I!
Send me."*

 Remove the thought from your mind of expecting God to come to force you or
to plead with you. When our Lord called His disciples, He did it without
irresistible pressure from the outside. The quiet, yet passionate insistence
of His *"Follow Me"* was spoken to men whose every sense was receptive
(Matthew 4:19 [4:18-22]). If we allow the Holy Spirit to bring us face to
face with God we too will hear what Isaiah heard - *"the voice of the Lord."
*In perfect freedom we too will say, *Here am I! Send me."*

 *NOTE:* I believe the above reading will be a surprise to a number of our
readers! I often hear people say - I'm waiting for God to push me into the
ministry He has for me. He will *not* do that. Like Isaiah we must walk
close enough to God to overhear His conversation as the Triunity of the
Godhead converses together. Then - if we wish - because He will not coerce
us - we can say like Isaiah - Here am I Lord - Send me!

 This happened to King Cyrus of Persia (Iran) some 2400 years ago, following
the 70-year captivity of Judah under Nebuchadnezzar. He felt inclined (not
knowing it was of God) to have the Jewish Scriptures read to him one night.
To his surprise he heard God saying that he, Cyrus, was God's Shepherd, and
would restore Judah to their homeland and help rebuild their destroyed
Temple through him. The next morning he said to His servants - "Let's do
it!" He volunteered. Daniel had interceded according to Jeremiah's prophecy
of restoration for Judah following 70 years of captivity. God let Cyrus know
this - and he volunteered in line with the purpose of God!

 In 1942 I overheard God when He was yet unknown to me intimately, speaking
of His purposes to answer my heart's desire to know Him. I volunteered to
join the Navy according to His suggestion, and in 9 months he ushered me
into His Kingdom.

 I was quite an ordinary seaman the first 9 months I was in the Navy. My
fellow sailors thought nothing special about me. Then suddenly God showed me
what to do to experience the New Birth from above, and in a moment my life
was completely transformed - even I might say "Turned upside down - or right
side up." One sailor kept quoting to me - *"Many are called but few are
chosen."* Then he would ask me what that meant. Well - I was one of the many
like Isaiah called by overhearing God's desire and invitation. When I
voluntarily reponded, I was immediately chosen. Anyone who is called can
likewise respond and then enter into the *chosen* state.

 Within months God dropped the unfinished work of Ivan Panin into my lap by
a Russian Jew, and I have now over 60 chapters of Panin's Interlinear Greek
Outlined New Testament ready to be posted on our Website.

 Like Cyrus, God let a friend of mine in Canada overhear God's desire to
document the world famous Kitsilano Boys' Band and its unique founder and
bandmaster Arthur Delamont. He volunteered. I believe he has already written
some 10 books on this subject, and hasn't finished yet!

 God knows our hearts' desires whether we know Him or not, and can help us
to volunteer to produce right decisions!

 So - like Isaiah - let us each one have a heart attitude that keeps us open
to the presence of God. Then when He speaks, or intimates His desires, let
us be quick to volunteer and answer Him - *"Here am I, Lord - send me or* *use
me."
*

Like Paul Rader of Chicago fame we can then say - *Such will be the
beginning of "Life's Greatest Adventure."* - Jim Watt

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org<mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org?subject=Just%20hit%20send%20be%20automatically%20subscribed>
*

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE -- Please Email: