Romans - Outline Overview

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 18:13:16 PDT 2008

"*TWO ARE BETTER THAN ONE" MINISTRIES*

*Jim & Marie Watt*

*PO Box 25116 -- Federal Way WA 98093-2116*

*Tel: 253.874.4265 -- Email: jmbetter at gmail.com*

*Web: www.2rbetter.org*

*2008.09.02*
<http://www.2rbetter.org/>

   *ROMANS - OVERVIEW - T2601R*

 *1. 1:16-17 (1:1-17, Panin's NNT) INTRODUCTION TO JUSTIFICATION. "For I am
not ashamed of the gospel: for it is God's power unto salvation to every
:believer: to Jew first, also to Greek. 17 For herein is being revealed
God's righteousness from faith unto faith: as it is written, But the
righteous man shall live by faith." *Father, we glory in the Living Gospel:
Jesus! In Him righteousness is *realized*! *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 3:28 (1:18-4:25) LAW SHUTS UP TO JUSTIFICATION. "For we reckon a man is
justified by faith apart from works of law." *Father, You have purposed and
ordained that *only* through the faith of Jesus shall any man be justified.
There is salvation in *no other name!* We therefore *justify* You, Father,
by believing this, and declare faith in Him and His Finished Work, as the *
only* way. *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 5:17 (5:1-21) ATONEMENT AND GRACE: BASIS OF JUSTIFICATION. "For if, by
the trespass of the one, :death reigned through the one; much rather shall
they that receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of :righteousness
reign in life through the one, Jesus Christ." *In Messiah You have given us
so much, Father! The reign of death, You have *overturned*! *Abundance* of
grace, You have *given*. *Reigning in righteousness*, You have made a *
reality*! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 8:10 (6-8) HOLY SPIRIT: PROMISE OF JUSTIFICATION. "And if Christ is in
you, the body is indeed dead because of sin; but the spirit is life because
of righteousness." *Father, we begin dimly to perceive Your great wisdom,
plan and purpose in the Gospel. It contains Your promise of the Holy Spirit
through Messiah: that is, the empowerment of justification. *Our :daily
:bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 11:25 (9-11) RELATIONSHIP OF ISRAEL AND GENTILES TO JUSTIFICATION. "For
I would not, brethren, have you ignorant of this :mystery, lest you be wise
in your own conceits, that a hardening in part has befallen :Israel, till
what time the fullness of the nations be come in: 26 and so all Israel shall
be saved!" *Father, through this we perceive the *depth* of the riches of
Your wisdom and knowledge: temporary excising of Israel, that we Gentiles
might come in: then - *One New Man in Messiah*! *And forgive us our :debts,
As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 12:18 (12:1-16:23) PRACTICAL OUTWORKING OF JUSTIFICATION. "If possible,
as much as in you is, be at peace with all men." *Father, we thank You for
the wisdom of the Spirit through Paul. We thank You that he understood the
frailty of the flesh. We thank You Father, that this truth is one of the
practical outworkings of justification. *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 16:25, 27 (16:25-27) GLORY TO GOD FOR JUSTIFICATION. "Now to the one
able to establish you according to my :gospel and the preaching of Jesus
Christ, according to revelation of the mystery kept silent through the times
of ages ... 27 to the only wise God, through Jesus Christ, to whom the glory
unto the ages. Amen." *Father, we *glorify* You for Your [plan of salvation
through *justification by grace through faith*! Your wisdom, love and grace
humble our hearts. *But deliver us from the evil *one.

 *NOTE*: Romans is the gospel to the Gentiles, as Hebrews is gospel to the
Jews. Both letters contain the "Foundation Truths" laid in Hebrews 6:1-2.
The whole epistle of the Romans is truly an exposition of these 6 truths.

 Many preachers have made this their chief expository book. Some have even
preached through it up to 5 times. Ern Baxter is but one of dozens and
scores of these. I served under him as his associate for 3 years from 1973
to 1976, and count it as a high privilege indeed. He was a prince of
preachers, a golden-tongued Chrysostom.

 He had preached through the entire Bible in an expository manner. He had a
personal library of 17,000 volumes, and his working library was 1500
volumes. These latter he had mastered.

 He taught himself Greek, and his various commentaries gave him a working
knowledge of Hebrew also. He had over 40 commentaries on the book of Romans
alone.

 I met him in 1944 briefly, but in October 1948 in Edmonton, Alberta at a
Latter Rain Conference, we became close friends. As a result of that
friendship I led with the help of an associate in providing for him a word
study on every major word of the Greek New Testament, some 4000 MS pages. He
literally carried a suitcase of these manuscripts around the world with him.

 Bryn Jones of England carried this suitcase up to his hotel room for him on
one occasion and asked,"What on earth do you have in this suitcase? Gold?"
"I'll show you when we get up to my room," he replied.

 We all need to have this love for the Word of God. Anything we can do to
gain a more accurate understanding of theBible - all the better! After all,
Jesus and His Word are one (John 1:1)! Ivan Panin mastered both Greek and
Hebrew in a 4 year period of time, so earnest was he in obtaining an
objective and accurate understanding of God's Word. At one time, every young
man preparing for the Presbyterian ministry was required to obtain a working
knowledge of Greek and Hebrew.

 Romans was "the book of W.J. Ern Baxter. All his studies were like the beam
of a magnifying glass - they tended to focus down especially upon this book.
Donald Gray Barnhouse was minister for the Tenth Presbyterian Church of
Philadelphia, who also majored on Romans. This book is indeed a key that
will open a clear understanding to the rest of the Bible. To lack a clear
understanding of "Justification by Faith" is to miss God's key to His Word.
Martin Luther was transformed by this truth, and the "Reformation" starting
in 1517 had its roots in this revelation. Jim Watt

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES -- Web: http://skagitattic.com/pipermail/jmbetter/*